1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Prince of the Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by headbanger22, Oct 10, 2007.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry is not evil, and whether he is Dark or not is rather questionable. He uses unconventional magic and he does end up killing people rather ruthlessly, and I even think there was a spot of torture at one point, but he's got a seemingly normal set of morals.

2. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Nope. And therein lies the conflict.

edit: urgh, ninja'd. Stoopid browser..

3. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Exact opposite really.

edit: Stupid new pages

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  4. Red_Hourglass

Red_Hourglass First Year

Hope springs eternal, but I seriously doubt it. Thus I will not be setting myself up for disappoint.

I truly, truly enjoy this story..yes it's long, yes there are chapters that are building, to build, but I've not stopped reading it, and look forward to every update.

5. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

But isn't he raised/mentored by Voldemort in this fic?

How the hell is he a good guy?

6. T3t

High Score:
    He isn't raised by Voldemort, strictly speaking - they spend a lot of time together, but most of it is Voldemort teaching Harry something or performing rituals. Voldemort isn't insane nor is he as meaninglessly cruel as he is in canon - he's still a cold, ruthless son-of-a-bitch who doesn't care about other people in the face of his goals, but he doesn't get off on hurting other people as far as we know.

All I can say is that you need to read the story to understand the dynamic between them, and that it's one of the best in fanfiction.

7. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

That's probably because this Voldemort has a sex life.

8. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

LAWL

Also, Harry isn't evil because he wasn't raised as such by Voldemort. Not a spoiler, since its right in the beginning, but Harry grew up as a muggle untill 11, when he was taken to the magical world. And he isn't ever directly parented by Voldemort, its more of a mentor thing.

9. T3t

High Score:
    Plots upon plots! This chapter was pretty great.

10. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Yeah I really liked the new chapter. Very intriguing.

I decided to reread some of the story, to refresh my memory, and I can understand a lot better why new readers might have trouble getting into the story. I'd forgotten just how terrible much of the beginning is. Weak characterization, typo's, missing words and misspellings galore. But if you can fight through it, it makes up for it later on.

11. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Okay two questions. I read this fic, following it ardently for some time, till about where Harry
    Was trying to escape Europe, after having met Ddore.
    I think that was when she began having trouble updating.

First question. The above spoiler, the writing seemed to become bogged down by different POVs and characters being added. Things just seemed to stretch alot, with not a lot happening in compared to how many words were being used. After that point in the plot, does it still feel that way? That was one of the main reasons I haven't picked it back.

Second question. Is she updating regularly again, like a chapter every month or so?

I'm really wanting to get into this again, having reread some up to third year, but I dread getting to that point as I said above. Especially, if it's more of the same.

12. Tenages

She still has a problem with wordiness. It's less pronounced then it was, with some chapters avoiding it nearly entirely, but other chapters not so much. A mixed bag there.

As for the POV's, she cut down on the number of different one's that she uses, especially in recent chapters. It didn't happen immediately after the spoiler you posted, for several chapters after that she still introduces new characters and splits between a multitude of POV's. But eventually she settled down, returned to the established characters of Harry, his friends, Voldemort and Snape, while focusing confining her POV shifts to well-established, primary characters. The number of different plot threads converging has also lead to a quickening of plot advancement and development.

As for the update rate, recently at least it's been good for a story with chapters as long and with as detailed a plot and world as hers.

13. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Excellent new chapter. The Milesians are a potently awesome new faction in the seething maelstrom of Harry's world.

Also, plot-twist of epic awesome with Harry's past-identity revelation. Puts the prophecy in an entirely new light, and the Dark Lord's relationship to Harry is recast. I assume, also, that when Stratus and the Dark Lord are in the same room, spells will fly.

I'm greatly looking forward to the next chapter. I hope you'll be able to update soon; you've left us all hanging. MOAR plz.

14. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Twist? I always assumed that he was Carrigan reborn. There were enough hints, or perhaps it was even outright stated, previously.

I like this new development. I thought the plot got stale. Nothing interesting happened and the author recycled the same old ideas for chapters on end. The story really needed a new kick start, and voila! An entirely new opponent that's intriguing enough to catch our interest for a while. Though I doubt he'll become a recurring villian, too many sub-plots and characters already (what with Krum?).

15. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

I personally have only read the first few chappies but I really don't want to get really into it until it's finished. What i've read makes it seem like a really good piece of fanfiction I just dont want to read it and bam abandoned i'll hold the rest of my judgement until it's finished.

16. Tenages

It's an interesting update and new subplot, as they almost always are. But at some point, you need to stop adding new subplots and focus on resolving what you already have going. Her books average about 20 chapters per and that was chapter 15 of Book VI. It's been said there were only going to be 7 books. That gives her 25 chapters or so to bring the story to a conclusion, yet the author keeps taking on complication after complication. I'm not entirely convinced the author knows how she wants to end the story or how to get to the ending. It's like she can't help herself; whenever she stumbles across a new idea (like the one she explains came from Thor in her latest A/N) she has to include it.

17. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

Is this story likely to completed anytime soon or is the author going to pull a squirrel and any good idea that seems like it sounds good at the time, are the subplots done and concluded in an interesting way?

18. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

In English please?

But on topic, it was good to get some good old fashioned action back in the story, and I personally always liked elvish imagery in the HP world, it just sort of works (Song of the Trees anyone?) and here it fits right in. The elf king seems like an interesting character, but I don't think he'll last that long, Tenages is right that more major characters isn't what the fic needs, but it might be good to remember that a lot of the subplots will undoubtedly come together in the final book, and with the length of each book there'll be enough time to get everything done, and take care of the elves as this books major villain.

19. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I didn't like the last chapter mainly because of this. Another subplot while there are already a lot of them. The focus on the elves and the fae is something which I do not really enjoy. I liked when that magic was a lot more mysterious and esoteric.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There might only be twenty five or so chapters left (assuming she sticks to previous limits, of course), but equally she writes hefty chapters - a full 24,000 word one for this update. That's plenty of time for her to wrap everything up if she puts her mind to it.

As for the update itself, rather good, although the typos/tense changes/etc annoyed me more than they usually do. Can't decide if it's because I'm still half asleep and therefore irritable or whether they were more obvious than usual. Can't wait to see how Voldemort takes this latest news though.