1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Prince of the Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by headbanger22, Oct 10, 2007.

1. TehLicha

TehLicha First Year

Ah, oops. Sorry about that, I sort of forgot about that. Not that I know how to do spoiler tags anyways.

And I forgot to say this in my last post, but I think Snape's character in this is pretty interesting. How he just kind of shrugs it all off and is indifferent.

2. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

If you click the quote button, you'll see how to add spoiler tags.

I was really happy with this chapter.

Voldemort getting hit with a killing curse was interesting. I actually assumed he'd have to get properly resurrected. The idea of a suddenly leaderless Britain was really exciting.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That really cracked me up. So hard.

This story was amazing, in its depth and intricacies. What was the sacrifices series? I have not read that, I don't think.

I love the characterization in this fic, the depth between all the characters really makes it real. It is wonderful.

Nothing more can be said, other than I am glad I waited this long to read it, gonna hate waiting for updates. :(

How is the update rate for this? Once a week I presume?

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Yeah, it's been about that consistently for the month(s) I've been following it. The author's note at the end of the latest chapter also implied his chapters were written before the end of the week so that the betas could process them, which is even better.

5. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

I must say despite the the grammatical and spelling errors this story is awesome. I give it a 4.2/5 (it would be much higher were it not for the honest, but still apparent spelling and grammatical errors) and will be looking for more from this author.

6. Yume Deli

Yume Deli First Year

I've been following this story for a few months, and in my eyes it's a masterpiece. I can't detect the spelling or grammatical errors while I'm reading it, so to me, it absolutely deserves full marks.

5/5

7. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I agree this story rocks pretty hard.

There are some elements here that it seems the author didn't think through originally and is trying to adjust on the fly (ex. Harry and the Diary, Young Tom Riddle, Harry's sketching, etc.) But this is to be expected in any episodic writing where feedback comes in quickly and the work is adaptable.

I'm a big fan of the werewolves and the pagan lore. Its an interesting take on things.

I'm curious to see how canon Riddle at 16 (which this story acknowledges) ended up at this place where he seems somewhat reasonable. I'm also looking forward to a real battle for Harry with Dumbledore and Tom. It'll add some much needed larger conflict (the Moody Escapee was decent, but not great.)

The story does seem to be trending however toward a less studious and diligent Harry though, which does concern me. Nevertheless, the fact that he has to engage regularly with Voldemort, Bellatrix, and cunning!Snape make this a more dynamic Harry than is frequently seen.

Also its good story telling.

Overall: 4.5/5

8. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This was updated recently. Nothing big really happened, as it was mostly a filler chapter, but it's still worth reading while we wait for the bigger, more eventful update-to-come.

Conflict between a certain alpha and beta looks to be just over the horizon, and should be interesting. We'll see, I suppose.

9. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Mushrooms!

10. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I really enjoy the characterisation of Voldemort in this. I've only read the first 48 chapters but I'm hooked. Only one thing. Electives are chosen in their third year. She said they'll be choosing them next year. Mistake or is it a change to the Hogwarts curriculum? Anyone shed some light on this?

EDIT:
    Does Snape adopt Harry? Please tell me he doesn't

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  11. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Technically no, but Harry does live with him in the summer.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying this story so far. Its setting is different, but it still has that Harry Potter feel to it. The original characters seem like real people instead of cardboard characters. And so far, I'm liking Ginny and I actually don't mind if she gets paired with Harry at the end.

Though I am wondering if Harry is going to eventually side with Dumbledore at the end.

Oh, and before I forget to ask, where's the spoiler button? I'm being stupid and can't find it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  12. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

I have to say I'm loving the multidimensional quality to this fic. It's such a vast world, and with some intricate characters maneuvering through it.

And, it must be said, the Werewolf society as it is depicted in this fic is probably the best I've ever read. Violent, a strict pack hierarchy, even a sort of earth, or perhaps lunar based religion. Very well developed. And Luna as a werewolf...blinks...why hadn't I realized how amazing that would be.

13. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

To make the spoiler tag, just type [ spoiler ] what you want it to say [ /spoiler ]
    and take out the spaces in the brackets.

14. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

I just can't get into this... the German parts right at the start threw me a bit and made me wary, I've read as far as chapter 15 and I just can't get into it, the story as a whole just doesn't feel right to me. The writing style is excellent and from what I've read, it's shaping up to be a good story, but I just can't read any further. Sorry, but it's just a 3 from me.

15. Maro

Maro Third Year

Just read through this. I'm enjoying it a fair bit as evidenced by actually reading the whole thing. That said, the writing quality isn't that high. Every chapter seems to have a few errors which really stick out at me enough to ruin it in parts as well as just general not liking the writing style massively. The plot on the other hand is excellent, although I think the characterization could be done better and it converges on canon too much. Massively unlikely things happen at strange times just so random things can paralell with canon for no reason. That irks me.

Also Voldemort is all wrong imo. In this he is portrayed as genuinely an okayish kind of person. If this was told from the perspective of an unreliable narrator, such as Harry, who was only seeing the positive sides of Riddle this would be fine. What we're getting is an objective look of Riddle and from what we see he does actually genuinely care for his subordinates and the children. Just no... I don't like it. You can try and justify Riddle's actions and behaviour but you can't change his underlying character to suit your plot, particularly as his defining traits originate from before where this diverges from canon.

I think the flaws I am noticing are severe enough to take it from a 4/5. I'd like to give it a 3.5/5 but as we have integer ratings it'll be a 3/5.

16. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Are we reading the same story? Nothing I've read has lead me to believe Riddle cares about anyone besides himself. He's manipulative, he's charismatic... he's the best representation of a competent, sane Voldemort of ever seen.

You said it yourself: from what we see, which basically translates into: what you're being led to believe.
    l.

17. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    ^^^ got to agree with that... the story has some issues but it still is one of the very few where Voldemort actually is showing that charismatic side of his character that is mentioned everywhere and yet in most fics he is somehow always either spiting fire or Crucio-ing his servants...

I'm effing tired of reading about the homicidal maniac, who is followed by supposedly proud 'purebloods' who apparently don't mind being tortured like a 'common muggles'... while fear is a good factor - there is just that much before someone comes with the balls to simply send the green light at the half-blood's back...

The story is portraying the utopia of a society the Death eaters believe in... it's ridiculous how most authors support the idea that people who apparently pride on their status, traditions and upstanding would simply join in organization for the sake of a few drunk torture sessions with the occasional rape of a something they consider the filth in the world...

And I can't agree that Voldemort is wrong... he didn't have to live as a wrath for a decade, which might have had some impact on his sanity. The power he has is undeniable - both magically and politically... political moves are masking his preparations for war on the rest of the magical world. Over all the world from this fic is everything that it should have been like as long as we are not reading a story where everything is black and white, where the good guys never hurt anyone in battle and the bad guys are trying to bring the end of the world somehow missing the fact that it would bring their doom as well...

18. Maro

Maro Third Year

That's exactly the problem. We don't have an unreliable narrator. We see everything. We see stuff from Snape's POV, Harry's and Riddle's. If it was just from Harry's, or even just from Snape's it would be perfect, but we see things from Riddle's POV which indicate that he actually does genuinely care.

I have no issue with a manipulative Riddle pretending to be good and all that to rally support, but thats not what we're seeing. Either its that the author intends for Riddle to genuinely not be that terrible, or the author has made a mistake with the perspectives.

19. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Eh... That's exactly what we are seeing. Voldemort is slowly solifying his hold on Wizarding Britain and gathering forces to subdue the rest of Europe.

Why should he kill and torture people left and right now when he has won? That would only generate bad publicity and eventually lead to a rebellion.

Besides, Voldemort is not potrayed as a nice guy. He's a dictator who abducts children and brain-washes masses.

20. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

And lets his horcrux unleash a basilisk on a school full of children.