1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Prince of the Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by headbanger22, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Exactly. I don't mind the fact that Harry is keeping his head down, trying to play it safe and what-not, but he has barely even acknowledged the fact that he was fucking kidnapped. As in, forcibly taken against his will. I don't care how wise or smart you are. When that happens, even if it's just you raging about it in your own head, you're still going to be pissed.

2. Ame River

Ame River First Year

Read through this recently, and there were a number of things I liked, and some that I didn't, so much.

I was so entertained that Ron is still a knucklehead, but in Slytherin. Nice way of showing that he's not necessarily any better than canon!Malfoy, but because he's on Harry's side, we tend to forgive it.

A lot of the Harry/Voldemort interaction is fantastic. A complex and interesting relationship. Occasionally the age thing makes it a bit unbelievable, but it's a tough world and almost all of Harry's actions make sense given that if he was any less clever he'd have been toast back in year one.

I think the werewolf stuff is great. I think their society is interesting and complex. Usually we only get to see Remus' view of werewolves, which is fine but rather limited since he clearly has issues with that side of himself and has made a lifelong effort to be less like a werewolf and more normal. I don't think I've ever read werewolf!Sirius before and I've found it totally fascinating. Plus Luna's character is beyond entertaining.

Unfortunately, I feel like the story is starting to get bogged down. I gotta give the author kudos for making it this far but it's getting pretty long. I feel like year four especially has had more sitting around and less action, while still being long. I'm not wild about the Durmstrang business so far, having Harry sit around in a school in the middle of nowhere for a couple of chapters is just plain boring, whether it makes sens for his character to do or not.

I think Dumbledore & co have come in far to late in the story to be anything meaningful. Harry isn't malleable enough anymore to be swayed by any of their arguments - he may not like the way his life has been, but he's been living this way long enough that it seems unlikely we'll have any sort of an interesting mental dilemna. At this point Harry doesn't need a mentor. He and Dumbledore are both simply people who are "good guys," having to live in the aftermath of Voldemort's takeover, and have chosen to do so in fundamentallly different ways. Both are objectionable to various factions, and both Harry and Dumbledore feel they've done the best they could.

That's only a few thoughts about this story. Overall I've quite enjoyed it, and I hope the author's able to pull it out of the slump it seems to have fallen into. 4/5.

3. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Update. Voldemort is coming.

4. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This is one of the best fics of Harry potter. The arthur takes in all acounts that most dont factor in to their fics. Also it shows a wizards life from all veiws not just from Hogwarts or Diagon Alley it shows them doing things that are overlooked in the main series.

5. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

author = writer
    Arthur = idiotic father of a bunch of red heads that will never do anything useful in his life

And yea, that approach is known as filler. Completely useless for the plot and an all around waste of time. I don't mind all that background in pagan lore, and I do consider this one of my favorites stories, but it is filled with pointless conversations and the story develops way too slow.

6. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been following this fic for a long time, and I'm really enjoying it. I think the best part of it is the fleshing out of the potential that is Voldemort's character. Added to that is the complexity and intrigue of his relationship with Harry and their interactions with Snape.

I know that the fic went into a bit of a patch of boringness with the recent stint in Germany, but I remain an avid fan of this fic.

5/5

7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Updated.

And Revan is right about one thing--this fic has gone through a boring stretch lately. I still look for updates, and it's still as decent a read as anything else on ff.net, but if there isn't some good intrigue very soon, I'm gonna be very disappointed.

8. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

I'm hoping Voldemort is going now to unleash a war on Germany, otherwise it would be to boring.

9. Luna

Luna Guest

I'm sure he is going to start a war, but with Mizuni-sama you can never tell.
    Though I have to admit, I don't care much. Unlike you I don't need all that action, especially in this fanfic. The best are her characters, the interactions between them and the whole new universe within J.K.'s universe she created.

And she's the first writer I came across who is capable to create a bunch of believable OCs.

10. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I was a worried earlier when Harry was in Germany that the story was taking a downward spiral in quality, but now that he's back in Britain, the story is definitely starting to pick up again. After a couple obligatory chapters detailing Harry's return to Britain and the reaction of everyone, the story is definitely picking up again. The war with Germany is pretty much inevitable at this point and Harry is starting to take an active role in the politics of Britain, which should add another dimension to the story.

The plot has been slow developing, but the Author updates once every week or two so it really hasn't been a problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

11. desiking75

desiking75 Squib

The story could use a bit of a fast forward, but I enjoyed how Hogwarts was set up as something Voldemort reigns over. It makes for an original story as well as something that seems quite realistic

12. royalduke

royalduke Backtraced

I Enjoyed this story a lot. It's very good, I like how the author wrote it. To me though, it feels like it's moving too fast.

13. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, now for sure I know you're a troll. This story is nearly one hundred chapters long and half of it has been filler. It's starting to feel like the Naruto filler arcs, and that's a feat I'd never thought a single piece of fanfiction could ever reach.

For my favorite troll:

Go eat a massive bag of donkey dick, you cock sucking doucher.

14. Naja

Naja Fourth Year

Boring update is boring.

But...

The political situation is pretty interesting and the promise of more action make it worthwhile.

15. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Update. Some interesting stuff.

16. Naja

Naja Fourth Year

What’s started?”
    “The war.”

It's about freaking time, I sense epic on the horizon. If the author actually decribes the battles, instead of just focussing on Hogwarts. The multiple switches in point of view give me hope though.

17. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Updated. Looks like the war will really pick up next chapter...

18. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Updated. First on Monday, with part of a chapter, then yesterday with the full thing.

19. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

LUUNAAAAAA!

I think this is the only story where I actually like and/ or care about werewolves at all. It seems like the only time interesting things happen is when the full moon is out, and Harry is acting crazy. Makes me wish every night was a full moon night. Awesome story is awesome.

20. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Updated.

The author really captured a lot of emotion in this chapter.

Obviously, the involved emotions were several orders of magnitude less than they would have been if it was a real-life
    genocide
    , but they were still there.

It's very rare that I feel that way when reading a fanfic.

EDIT:

I spent the last little while analysing what happened in this chapter. It's an amazing opportunity for Brittan's propaganda machine.

- Germany has attacked a purely civilian target.
    - Germany slaughtered children, even after they'd transformed back into humans.
    - They have the story of Harry staying out with Luna (and if Voldemort releases it, him going to the werewolf camp)
    - They have graphic pictures.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009