1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Prophecies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darklordmike, Mar 20, 2009.

1. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Does anyone out there have a good explanation for how prophecies get recorded, stored, and/or studied at the Ministry?

If a prophecy sphere gets created every time someone utters a prophecy, does that mean there is some device or spell that somehow scans all of Britain for 'prophetic magic?' How else would one get recorded, unless the hearer was obligated to report it?

Also, if the only people who could access Harry's prophecy were Harry and LV, how did the proper label get applied in the first place? Wouldn't an unspeakable had to have heard it, even studied it?

If anybody understands how the whole process is supposed to work, I'd be grateful to hear your insights.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Maybe it works like with the Memory bank Dumbledore has, the witness inserts their memory or the event into the Orb.

Its likely because, during Third Year, there wasn't any Orb reported being made when the seer made the prophecy to Harry...

As well as, in the fifth book, it had Witnessed By Albus Dumbledore, IIRC.

So, yeah...

Just what I think.

Also, if you're that in doubt about it, its a pretty glaring hole, plot wise, paint it how you want. Its your story.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  3. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    I would go with the ever popular "It's MAGIC!" theory.

4. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    ... and the cunning bastard changes the last bit so that Voldemort would believe he will die unless he does something good for the society... of course "Tommy boy" comes to the conclusion that exterminating the muggles is for "the greater good" but unfortunately the prophet fucks up his end of the story and paints him as a Dark Lord O_0
    ... so after all Voldemort is simply another "good Samaritan" but unfortunately for him quite misunderstood...

Now, who's up to do the one-shot?! : )

5. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The problem with prophecies is that they're extremely lazy storytelling. I literally gagged when JKR revealed it.

It's impossible to find any real logic that would make the DoM situation work, so I wouldn't bother trying.

6. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

1. There are prophecies made every day and there are just no witnesses to record them, so they go lost and the only ones in the Ministry are those with witnesses.

2. Fate, divinity, whatever, intervenes with humanity and is smart enough to place the "prophecy" when there is someone trustworthy listening.

I don't believe the ministry has the power to find and record all prophecies uttered.... it just seems ridiculous when you look at all the other shit that they can't do.

It may just be lazy storytelling, but I would rather try to fill in the gaps with something close to logic.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  7. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It is the Department of MYSTERIES. We don't find out how half that shit works.

8. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The answer is "Just repeat to yourself, 'It's just a show,.. er, book, I should really just relax.'"

9. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, that's it. There is no reason to think about it. The ministry certainly isn't able to record who made a prophecy in front of whom.

I second Psihary's idea that Dumbledore might have handed in an altered version of the prophecy.

The problems with touching it could be explained that there are a few selected unspeakables who label and store the spheres (perhaps one or two). Voldemort wasn't able to control them and had to look for other ways to get it.

10. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

Maybe it's like... an automated service or something. If you hear a prophecy you can floo call it in and it gets automatically stored without anyone else having to hear it. It makes about as much sense as anything else I guess.

Plus, wouldn't be awesome if 99% of the prophecies in the Department of Mysteries were just spam?

11. Inferno

Inferno First Year

Hmm... spam prophecies. I like that idea. I think it would make a funny one shot. I rather like psihary's idea of prophecy's as well. It would be hilarious if that actually was what happened and Voldemort got to be the Dark Lord because Dumbledore told Voldemort to be a good Samaritan.