1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prophecy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kai Shek, May 26, 2010.

?

How do you guys like Prophecy in Fantasy?

1. Good plot device

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Bad plot device

45 vote(s)
    39.8%
  3. Something inbetween

64 vote(s)
    56.6%
  1. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I'm leaning towards the negative; it's in the same category as vampires.

The concept could have been awesome, only Josh Whedon can pull it off effectively, but everyone else who tries royally fucks it up.

People over use the plot devise so much for the exact same reasons regardless of twists or turns.

Hero, fortold. Destined to die or kill. Or in the odd case become the evil incarnate.

Followed by 75% angst and reflection about absolutely nothing to progress the story other than making the hero seem tortured and angsty.

Used only for pointless drama to fill pages.

2. Portus

Portus Heir

Sooooo, really they're not that much alike? :confused:

3. Pringles

Pringles First Year

If anyone's read the Mistborn trilogy then you'll know that's got a pretty awesome use of a prophesy in it, or at least I think so. If you haven't read it I won't spoil it and I recommend you give the books a try. Had me hooked for a week ... come to think of it they probably dropped me around 10% in my exams lol

4. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Perhaps you're right.

While the a large portion of the means seems to fit the old Dumbledore is dark story, the motives are completely different.

You can't deny, though, that the cliche Dark!Dumbles 'actively ensures that Harry stumbles into the training he or she needs, stumbles onto the information they need, and generally gains the support of the population' and makes it so 'all of Harry's trusted adventure buddies are in fact members of the org, and they're the means by which the shadow org pulls X's puppet strings.'

The difference is that Dumbledore himself would be going into power, rather than 'X', as in most of those stories Dumbledore plans Harry's death. Also, what I mentioned above.

5. PRK13

PRK13 First Year

I was thinking the same exact thing. If you guys haven't read his stuff yet you definitely should. The Mistborn series is one my absolute favorites right now, and as Pringles said, the use of prophesy in it is bad ass. Fans of The Wheel of Time series probably know this guy; he was the one who was asked to finish the series after Jordan died

6. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Now that I think about it, it would be even cooler if the the person in power they're deposing is in fact someone they put into power in the first place, but has since become unpopular with the people, and a little too uppity. Even better, this happens about once every 20 years or so, such that the shadow org has always been in control, they just always keep popular support for their policies by "creating" a new hero each generation who "deposes" the old one, takes his place, becomes a little too uppity and unpopular and gets deposed.

The story would then center around this particular hero discovering the sham and finally putting an end to the cycle and breaking the shadow org's power for good (or so he thinks).

7. iMessing

iMessing First Year DLP Supporter

I think I found that series

In the Tad Williams series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, Simon Mooncalf and his companions, following an ancient prophecy, struggle to find three legendary swords to help them fight the evil, usurping king.

!Spoiler Warning!

Unfortunately it turns out that the prophecy was written by the bad guys and uniting the swords will give King Ineluki unlimited power....

OT : I think that prophecies can be quite good when used in certain ways as stated in the posts above .

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

You realise you can type [noparse]
    SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
    [/noparse], right?