1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PS4 -- Holiday release.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Feb 21, 2013.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Watched this in real-time.

Deep Down blew me away. Infamous too. Agni's Philosophy was friggin' beautiful as well.

Ho, hum.

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I cannot begin to explain how excited I am about that inFamous game. I've recently been thinking about how much I'd love to play an inFamous 3, and then they come out with this.

Plus, I'm really interested to see where they go with some of the features they showed off at the start. That share feature has some potential.

EDIT: Polygon posted a rundown of the conference (if you don't want to watch it) here.

4. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Honestly not sure how I feel about this. I had shitty luck with my PS3. The disc reader died after 13 months (1 past warranty) and they wanted 200 to fix it. That kind of killed of Playstation for me. In addition, I really only have time for social games that take no skill at this point, which Xbox is much better for. However, the media center aspects of the PS4 seem like they hold a lot of potential. Guess I'll play it by ear.

5. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Always wanted to see someone take the D&D play style to digital, with a Game Master, several players, a common objective, the option to branch off from the main quest line, etc. The Director mode of the PS4 sounds like a step in the right direction.

We'll see how much they ask for it though. PS3 is still plenty to keep me entertained.

6. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Does anyone have a link to a full version of the announcement? I can only find a few streams of it on a loop.

7. chriar

chriar Third Year

8. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Not a stream, a video I can pause and get a snack and still be at my same place.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I just realized... they're probably going to have to rebuild FF13 Versus for the new platform. What do you think that is... another seven years in the making?

10. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I'm glad I live in Europe then. EU law guarantee's a repair for 2 years automatically, with the UK one doing better guaranteeing up to 6 years.

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly thought that had been cancelled by now.

The hardware upgrades for the PS4 are welcome, but this increasing focus on "social" bullshit (a fucking "share" button on the controller? Seriously?) is infuriating. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's new console actually requires a Facebook account to play the games. I'd be horrified, but not surprised.

yak
  12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

A lot of people like streaming/recording their gameplay for the internet. The share button makes sense.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I dunno. I'm not really into the facebooking, and myspacing, and the general social network faggotry... but the instant share of multicast vids has huge amounts of potential. Developers will be able to watch people play and gather feedback. Because it's so easy, you can bet your ass that truckloads of people will be making vids of shit they think needs improving. Gamers = complainers = more software/bug fixes.

Also, no more switching machines and trolling youtube for gameplay vids. Just save, PS button, go to PS network.

Edit: Maybe... just maybe... you won't have to quit your game to browse the internet/PSN. Holy fuck that would be tremendous.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  14. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So soon? I'm... not that excited. It feels like I just bought my PS3. I feel like I don't have a huge enough collection of games for my PS3, so this is coming a bit too soon. Awesome graphics, though. And like Khaan, I spit on the social networking bullshit. Share button on the controller? Fuck you, Sony. Partnering with Facebook? Fuck you twice, Sony. Easier recording/streaming is cool, but I don't like it when the social aspect becomes forced.

15. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Xbox 4 Ever~ But in all seriousness this does look good, but I feel a lil creeped out by all the social media nonsense. I'll feel like I am being watched while I play and it smells big brotherish.

16. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    PS3 came out in 2006, guys. Heck, there was a longer break between PS3 and PS4 than between PS3 and PS2.

Oz
  17. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I remember some people coming out to say game devs still haven't been able to tap the full hardware potential of the PS3.

I don't know why they're pushing forward with PS4 outside potential money, though that's an explanation unto itself.

18. Rache

Rache Headmaster

A console cannot beat the sheer awesomeness of a gaming PC. XD. The game-play sharing option however sounds too 'uninteresting' to be considered a brand new feature.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Will surely get the PS4. However, what s up with the new Infamous?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... now I know why so many people in the EU hate the Greeks. Thanks for ruining inFamous 2 for me, asshole.