1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PS4 -- Holiday release.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Sony probably won't let people forget. And then there's the power of the video game media.You hammer a point long enough and people will start believing it. And then there's the question of just who gives a fuck about social networking or skype? Microsoft are trying to appeal to a new group of people but I'm not sure why they would give a shit when they have iPhones.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Wouldn´t be to sure about that... The Microsoft PR department has had a lot of major failures in the last year and nothing suggests that they will change their course. It is like they are living in their own world with little outside contact.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mmmm... perhaps. Though it will be one hell of a feat if they do a 180 on the staggeringly negative momentum they've built up.

And even if they do manage to sway consumers back to them, such an aggressive marketing campaign is going to cost them a shit ton of money. That's less money to secure deals with top developers. Fewer big games = fewer sales.

Remember when 360 got all those uber sweet games during those first two years of release? Well, that was because they were able to secure deals with all the top developers with the tumultuous profit they had made during that full year when PS3 had yet to hit stores. IMO, that, PS3's exorbitant price, and the success of Halo are the main reasons MS 'won' last generation's console war.

But this time, with the more powerful PS4 hitting during the holiday season at $100 less, with none of the crippling game restrictions the xbone has, the majority of the Christmas/postChristmas sales will go to PS4. Sony will then use that money to throw at developers, who will create more awesome exclusives/tempexclusives for PS4's next holiday business quarter, which will in turn spike sales.

From a purely business-oriented perspective, unless MS starts backpedaling from their mistakes now, I honestly think they're going to 'lose' the console war by a mile.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kingdom Hearts 2 VS. Kingdom Hearts 3

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

6. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

I'll probably get one of these after finishing up all the games on my ps3, say 2 years, and any xbone exclusives will, hopefully, come to the PC where I can check them out.

Too much shit to do with too little time. Fuck.

7. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Not sure if it's official, but apparently this is how a PS4 looks like.

I WILL NOT POST PAGE-STRETCHING LINKS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For a second I thought they were giant cans. :/

10. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

PS4 release date announced at Gamescom! Europe once again gets shafted but such is life.

November 15th 2013 - USA
    November 29th 2013 - Europe

£349
    $399
    399 Euro's - Can't do the symbol because I'm a keyboard shortcut failure.

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ooh, comes out on my birthday. Guess I know what I'm getting.

12. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Comes out on the same day as X:Rebirth.

Choices...

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Europeans (and the rest of us) aren't getting shafted. Ps4 is getting an early release in the US, not the other way around.

It'd have been suicide on Sony's part to not have gotten their consoles out a decent amount of time before black friday (that crazy sales holiday in the US). We'd have all gotten it early too if we had such a crazy holiday like that.

If that still doesn't placate you, be happy with us 'rest of wolders' having much, much, much better PSPlus free games.

14. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

It's not the release that counts as shafting to me, I couldn't care less about waiting 2 weeks - I've touched my PS3 3 times since last September when I returned for my final year at Uni, and that was to play Last of Us.

It's the price. It appears cheaper, but it's stupidly more expensive, mostly because of VAT I imagine, just look at conversion rates (well aware it'll differ on a State by State basis due to sales tax, lucky fuckers in Oregon right?) - Currently, right now, £349 = $543.92.

I have no idea what we paid for our PS3 as my dad paid for it using something like 90% vouchers he earned through various surveys so it was basically free for us back near release but that's pretty crazy. Now, I'm well aware people can afford that and probably will, I just didn't like the look of conversation rates at first glance.

Now feel free to hammer on me for being annoyed over something as stupid as costs when converted. I likely won't be getting one on release anyway as only Killzone's appealed, but that's just me.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

You europeans and americans can go fuck yourselves. Here, thanks to abusive taxes, that classify video games and betting games the same thing, it's going to cost $900,00, and Xbox One is $1000,00. Great.

16. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're most certainly allowed to be annoyed, I'm just trying to point you in the right direction. There is unfairness going on, but not the way you think.

We're not being gouged prices. In fact, our (pal regions, i think that's region 2 in the blu-ray era? Basically eu and Australia) prices are in line with what you're getting and 'fair'.

The US are getting charged less, not us more. Most likely it has everything to do with their ruined economy. That's the issue that's not fair and i know too little about economics to be able to debate further.

17. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I'm just saying that our government should cut a lot of taxes. The poorest aereas of the city I live are in civil war and out of the government control, go tax some drugs, not my games, that's mean.

18. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

So my main reason for buying a PS4 on release has been delayed.:(

Watch Dogs has been pushed back to at least April 2014 with most projections giving June

The only other games I'm truly excited for would be Metal Gear Solid 5 and Kingdom Hearts 3 which both don't even have a release date announced for them. AC 4 would have been an important side purchase entirely due to PIRATE ASSASSINS and NAVAL COMBAT. But it's looking like my money (for now) is better used saving for a car.

Maybe I'll buy a special edition PS4 for some of the previous mentioned titles when they're bound to be released.;)

19. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Double post but fuck it.

For those of you that ARE buying a PS4 at launch here's something to distinguish you from the unwashed pleb masses:

You can download the PS4 day 1 patch early and install it immediately.

Instead of sitting through those 5-6 hours the Wii U users had to. This also gives you the recovery data you'll need if you plan to upgrade the harddrive from the base 500GB to something more, or just to an SSD.

20. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Just remember to boot the PS4 into safe mode, otherwise you'll need to download it during launch.

Which will probably still go smoother than the WiiU because of Nintendo's complete online incompetence, even if it is a shitshow.