1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Ah, my mistake then.

2. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I started and stopped to read Time Braid multiple times. I eventually decided to force myself to read it, and wasn't disappointed (too much). There's a non-canonical cosmology in Time Braid that ties in with fuuinjutsu, various doujutsu, etc. and aspects of it were interesting.

For instance I liked the idea that the anatomy of the Sharingan is some sort of demonic contract.

Also, the curse of darkness, which damns the fates of everyone except the Chosen One (Naruto) and those who follow him, was kind of cool.

Sasuke was a pretty cool villain whenever he appeared (which is more toward the end of the story). But it's far from a perfect fic and it has plenty of problems, not the least of which is that it's Sakura-centric. But in this case, Sakura turned out to be pretty badass and had some cool abilities, if somewhat outlandish.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Hey! Where are you all going!?

No seriously its surprisingly well done for an SI fic. I like it.

4. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Right, my love of the word Not has gotten me in trouble again.
    @Mercenary, 3 chapters in. Its not aweful. It's not stupendous. I'm trusting you.

5. Ceins

Ceins Second Year

Yeah if I remember correctly it was actually an enjoyably experience reading "Dreaming of Sunshine."

6. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

It wont blow your mind with sheer awesome but what Cains said would be my response too.
    It was a good read.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Namedropping me makes me feel bad about quitting. D:

8. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

By 'attack', do you mean mobilize our authors to try their hand at Naruto stories? We could always have a Naruto-themed month >.>

I often find myself wanting to write in this fandom again, but I think I have enough trouble working on one story without splitting my focus further, heheh.

9. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I feel that the more appropriate word you were looking for was "Invade."

That said, there was a time I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. But, with the way Naruto Canon has been going lately, I'm starting to feel like there's nothing in the series worth saving at this point.

10. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I'm gonna go ahead and second Naruto: Genkyouien, but your mileage will definitely vary. Writing is solid and the author has done a wonderful job of fleshing out so many different characters, but the content will leave some people absolutely baffled.

Moving right along:

Shinigan - Naruto gets Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. This is not a crossover in any way; only the concept of the eyes has been transplanted into the Naruto universe, and there they're treated as a doujutsu. Definitely not a bad fic, but it won't knock your socks off. There's some interesting changes made from the inclusion of Naruto's new eyes.

New Life, Second Chances - Time travel. The premise is no more ridiculous than Naruto's parents sealing shades of themselves inside the Kyuubi's seal, so it doesn't come off as completely contrived. Additionally, Naruto gets some help on the way. There is one itty bitty detail that some people might be averse to - that being, the form the help takes. You're either going to hate this story, or just like it. Not really love it, just like it.

Naruto: Captured - Naruto and Sakura both are sent back to the academy, get stronger/smarter for it, and get messed up in political intrigue and things way over their paygrade. This story introduces a wonky mechanic: Regular Ninja vs Elite Ninja. The Regulars are the better trained, more disciplined soldiers, while the Elite are the famous, showy ninja that are the face of their village. How does that work? No idea. Somehow, the Elite ninja still think that they're better... Anyway, I'd say a decent read.

Now normally I'm not a pessimist, but this fandom is dying. Canon content has either turned the entire universe into a joke or has turned off potential writers with all the shenanigans. Everyone left who can put up with it is writing crap, crap, and more crap.

Continuing that thought, the most appealing stories (to me) are the ones that tell canon to fuck right off. They start with Naruto in Konoha, then things get wild. Not AU per say, because AU authors are more often than not tryhards, but heavily divergent.

Naruto:Genkyouien is a good example. It starts relatively at the same place as every other dime-a-dozen Naruto fic, then kicks canon's door down, messes up its furniture, clogs its toilets, and pours all its drinks down the sink.

Oh god. I've become Naruto-fandom-jaded.

:cry:

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Hmm, it seems we suffer from a difference of opinion. But I've long come to the conclusion that I have vastly different expectations of Naruto to the majority of DLP, and I've made my peace with it.

I bid you good day, sir. :sherlock:

12. redshell

redshell Order Member

Well, I seem to recall a fanfic where Naruto and Sakura are both sent to remedial lessons and basically get the shit kicked out of them, all for the purpose of
    Danzo being able to recruit them for his Root program, only for Naruto and Sakura to turn out to be spying on the organisation from within for the Sandaime.

ANYWAY. The point I'm trying to make is that later on in said fic Naruto and Sakura essentially expect Sasuke to keep up with them, and not the other way around. So it's not entirely a new premise, although it is a somewhat fresh one (at least for me). Also, in my opinion, the Regular Ninja would win in a straight-up fight because they'd be taught to be efficient killers, both with their ninja tools as well as with their jutsu.

EDIT: Well, after reading Captured for a few chapters, I started to notice a few similarities, until I realized I was reading the same exact fic, and I was simply vaguely recalling it from a few years ago. The fact that Captured was published in 2008 supports that, I suppose.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

A Meeting Between Heaven and Earth
    Pein's brutal razing of Konoha tests Naruto's mettle in ways he never expected or wanted. As a jinchuuriki, genin, summoner, sage, and aspiring Hokage, this is what is means to be Uzumaki Naruto with his village on the brink of annihilation.

I believe this will appeal to many DLPers. This is what I believe is exactly what would have happened if Naruto couldn't have convinced Nagato.

14. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7115615/1/Shinigan This isn't half-bad, in fact I've been thinking about recommending it, just haven't gotten around to you know, checking to see if someone else already has. Basically Naruto get's some rather... unpleasant powers from the Kyuubi, story takes of from there. the writing is far from cringe worthy so give it a shot.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Have a gander at the posts only a couple before yours. Better yet, the thread is small enough to CTRL+F each page for the fic name.

Shinigan isn't bad. Fair bit of rehash so far, but shows probably the most realistic introduction of Naruto to seals I've seen in a story. Lots of new little quirks introduced to the Team 7 dynamic too. Solidly decent fic. Head and shoulders above most other tripe in the fandom.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Your mileage will vary.

I too liked it... until it started introducing lets see...

1..2.. 3.. 4... 5... 6...

several chapters later...

20 fucking new characters.

Joking joking but there are just WAY too many characters introduced in a short period of time for me to have kept reading.

17. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Yeah the problem with Genkyouien is definitely pacing. I stopped reading after chapter 15 or so.

I'd also like to recommend What Became of The Likely Lads by Zimo.

Kyuubi is really nasty in this, torturing Naruto in his sleep and with hallucinations during the day. As a result Naruto comes off as being a little bit twisted but his portrayal is refreshing. The dynamic between him and his is teammates is also one the most interesting I've ever read.

18. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I opened the fic and the first thing I saw was Naruto being assaulted by a couple of drunks. Nine hundred and ninety nine times out of a thousand that signals garbage.

19. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Was that why your fic had Naruto doing the assaulting? ;)

...I'm genuinely curious.

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Half the time I can't remember what I ate for dinner the previous night. Good luck expecting me to remember my motivations on something I wrote lord knows how many years ago.