1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Valid point. Your comment made me try to remember what I had for dinner last night and I'm still struggling.

And to make this post less utterly pointless:

Home by Andrew Joshua Talon
    The end of Naruto - my way. One shot.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I suppose I will tentatively second this rec. It's a far more better read than most of the other fics posted in this thread, even with its rather lackluster start. It certainly helps that the Bijuu in the story are very much the malevolent demons that people want to read and that it's basically telling the canon storyline to fuck off.

The main problem for me is that Naruto is such an annoying prick. Sure, he has valid reasons but eight chapters in and him constantly trying to pick fights with people around him just as a way for him to vent is really starting to get boring. The author apparently realized this point and is going to address it in the next chapter, whenever she decides to post it. Overall, it's a very decent read for those that desire a more gritty take on Naruto's world.

3. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

I hate to say this, but Kenchi618's Better Left Unsaid is the best consistently updating fic in the fandom. Great fights, good characterizations, and the ability to explore weird little offshoots of canon stuff. While everything could easily be fucked up after the time skip, right now, the story is looking pretty great.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Besides Inert's, at least.

Kenchi's other stories are horrid though. The ones I tried reading anyway.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kenchi is very much an average author, although the sheer volume of words he can churn out can be staggering. Most of his fics are much better than the average Naruto fic, but they've got nothing on Inert's. This has been covered pretty much every time someone brings up one of Kenchi's works, though.

6. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

7. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Huh this story is actually decent and somewhat interesting good find :sherlock:

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Warning: NON-YAOI.

Why is that a WARNING?

This does not look promising.

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Of all the warnings that fics tend to have, that's probably one of the few that doesn't make me want to run for the hills at least.

I'll throw in The Mind is a Delicate Thing for the recs; don't think it's been brought up in the topic yet. Not the best, but fairly enjoyable

10. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    That's like saying Mknote is just a little bit creepy.

Naruto is a giant raging violent douchebag in this.

Not that I blame him terribly, considering the life he's dealing with... but I really, genuinely dislike him. He's a prick of the highest order. And not in the 'magnificient bastards' sort of fashion.

No, he's just a vicious, rotten asshole.

Part of the appeal of Naruto as a character is that despite his utterly shitty life, the terrible lot he was dealt.. he remained a good person, who treated others much better than he was treated in return. Someone admirable for the strength of his character and willpower, if nothing else.

This Naruto is not a good person, and I know enough damaged people/vicious assholes in my life. I'm not particularly fond of reading about them (as the main character) too.

I will not be continuing to read this story, as much as I like the writing style and the technical aspects, I hate the main character.

Hate.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  11. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I only read the first 2-3 chapters but it looks like a really bad self-insert/Gary Stu fic...I will never get the need to introduce new, important Characters in Naruto.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Haha , yeah that was a huge understatement, I reread the fic yesterday and I do agree: he's an asshole oh the highest order. Too bad you can't stand it, it's still an excellent fic imo.

13. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I did warn that he was an annoying little prick. >_>

And if it weren't for the fact that there was this promise of him getting called out on his shit, I'd have forgotten about this fic in a week

14. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Came here looking for some stuff to read and found out someone posted mine. Being its creator, I know it isn't great and it has flaws, but it still makes me feel all warm and tingly.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7745648/1/Legacy_of_Uzushiogakure

Figured I'd toss this one in here. Basic premise is that the Uzumaki clan survived the Second Shinobi War and went into hiding (oh and all the modern members are based on characters from Fairy Tale). Somewhat cliche, and I'm honestly not sure if it should go here or in Almost Recommend as it's on the border, but I'm enjoying the hell of it.

16. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    I enjoyed this quite a bit as well. It's really rather good. Though personally not the direction I would have taken with an Uzumaki Clan!Fic. This fic isn't as saturated with overwrought, overly detailed pages of background and setup and history.

I.O.W, less Robert Jordan-ish, which the author, who writes the fairly well known Emperor HP-Fic, is somewhat prone to.

That's not to say that it's perfect, because it's not. But I would say it's Quality. If the author handles it well and doesn't fall into a trap of canon rehash it has the potential to be Epic and Awesome.

As it is, I'll be following this. But I wouldn't put it up for individual review quite yet.

Right now my rating is a 3.5/5, with the potential for a full extra point if continued in the right manner.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  17. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

Well, I've been working on digging up some quality Naruto Fics for the past week or so, and have found.... very little.

Probably the best of what I have found (that have not been mentioned yet) are:
    A New Life

Grammatically sound in most places. Decent fight scenes. The typos present are mostly bearable. Ultimately the biggest problem with this fic is the crossover choice... with Pokegirls... It keeps the sex as implied, thankfully.
    Give it a shot, if you are really bored. If you are able to ignore the horrific crossover premise, you might be surprised... or not. It is also complete, which is nice.

The Conduit

This story is... interesting. Firm grammatically, decent pacing, refreshing concept, and it's around three chapters from completion (and still updated).

Naze?

Naruto and a younger Anko, in a world very different from canon. It's a firm story for the most part, and entertaining enough. Rarely sees updates though.

Never Cut Twice

A guilty pleasure beyond everything else in this list, it is riddled with cliches and painfully overused jokes. It still manages to entertain, however, and is complete.

All of these are guilty pleasures, but I'm coming to the conclusion that that is all you can hope for in current Naruto fanfiction is guilty pleasure.

18. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Any good Sasuke or Itachi stories out there? I wanna read something with the sharingan thats well done, but I can't find any that isn't' slash, yaoi or just plain stupid. I honestly want to read a Sasuke time-travel story with him not a psychopath and I guess redeemed, but I've given up hope. I'll just settle for a regular story...So?

19. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I don't really know any timetravel but with sharingan check this one and it's prequel
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=20317

Rise of the Uchiha » by AlphaEph19 reviews
    AU. Itachi refused to kill his friend Shisui for the Mangekyou sharingan. Now the Uchiha clan rules Konoha, Sasuke and Itachi are on the run, and Naruto is acknowledged by the very man responsible for his father's death. Full summary in my profile.
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: T - English

20. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

You realize that Never Cut Twice is ~7 years old, right?

Those things weren't so cliched or overused back then. Plus NCT is still very readable even now, which is more than can be said for many other fics so old.

-

Rise of the Uchiha is a very fun read imo!

Sasuke Uchiha- HERO OF KONOHA! is another story I like, in the style of the Ciaphas Cain novels.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/sasuke-uchiha-hero-of-konoha.177374/