1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quantic Dream's Kara

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by disposablehead, Mar 24, 2012.

1. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

So this happened.

Article is here.

The best part:
    :awesome

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Hmm... Where have I seen this before.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I think it might deserve its own thread. Split off the post in the Amazing Videos thread and delete/merge this one.

There are two standout moments that really touched me. One was when Kara slowly, tentatively took her first step. Couldn't you feel the magic of that moment? The camera being pulled back, Kara lifting one foot first.

The other was when she was being disassembled, but she screams "I'm scared", and the mechanical limbs taking her apart stop. There's dead silence, before the sound of typing breaks it. You can feel the emotional impact Kara has on the operator off-screen. I don't remember too many moments like that in feature-length cinema. Reminds me of WALL-E's first half.

I'm really impressed by the actress's performance. David Cage specifically mentioned the way she gradually gained humanity and how we could see it happen before our eyes. Kara smiles subtly after she's named, and then the next several seconds really make the scene.

Really effective communication.

The graphics actually don't look that great. Better than Heavy Rain, but still noticeably flawed. Kara's face looks off, as does her hands. But I read that the engine they're using has improved by 50%.
    Can't wait to see what Quantic Dream comes out with.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Shit, I /like/ sexy robot girls and thought this was fucking stupid.

"Really effective communication", my ass. Either the dude was testing to see if she had emotions, and his actor sucked and couldn't relay that, or her little "oh no please don't kill me!" freak out made him do a complete personality 180, which utterly breaks suspension of disbelief.

Shit attempt at storytelling, only marginally prettier than other pre-rendered videos we've seen before, and absolutely zero emotional impact. 4/10, would rather watch a soap opera.

(And yes, I'm anticipating a response along the lines of "Oh, Coyote's just a bitter fuck." I'm not trolling, just sick of seeing people suck all kinds of dick over this video and posting it everywhere when it's /really not that good./)

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Andro's basically summed up my thoughts on this.

I really do hope they work on the graphics component, though.