1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Question about discussing Voldemort's reign, muggleborns & Godwin's Law

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slickrcbd, Feb 27, 2010.

1. slickrcbd

slickrcbd First Year

When talking about things like how the muggleborn were being rounded up during Voldemort's reign, or why didn't they fight instead of going to register, is it safe to draw comparisons to the Nazis and Jews without risking somebody trying to say "Ah! You said Nazi! Godwin's Law!"?

It was my understanding that Godwin's Law doesn't apply in situations where there are direct and readily apparent parallels to the Nazis and it is a valid comparison, as opposed to using it as an insult or to show how wrong it is.

Am I wrong, or is it not OK to draw comparisons between Voldemort's Death Eaters and the Nazis with the muggleborns in the roll of the Jews without invoking Godwin's Law in a discussion?

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Given the fairly explicit parallels between Nazi idealogy and the idea of blood supremacy in Harry Potter, I'd say you're pretty safe.

3. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

JK already admited that she based Voldemort/Death Eathers on Hitler/Nazis, so any further discussion regarding that parallel is a waste of time IMO.

4. Learn.Patience

Learn.Patience Squib

To be honest, I'm not to sure that Godwins law is a problem, even if it does count.
    "Ah! Godwins law!" is hardly an insult. Just a way for someone to add to their post-count.

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

You're taking Godwin's law waaay too seriously...