1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

What an obnoxious whore, right? :nyan:
    Yeah, that's a 'mission accomplished,' right there.
    Even without the Hitler 'stache? :p
    I especially like how her original claim was that Eileen Prince must have owned the book, then (while they're scraping Dumbledore off the lawn and mopping up Bill's blood) she claims that because Snape was her son, she was right because of a tenuous, 'hurr, genetics... hurr, transitive property...' explanation.

Or on the grounds that Snape was a motherfucker, or something.

I guess as long as she felt it necessary to rub it in, Harry could have joined the party with, "That's fascinating, Hermione. Maybe you could ask Bill, to his permanently scarred face, what it was more important to be right about: Draco being a marked Death Eater with a mission from Voldemort, or which former student owned an annotated textbook, back in the day."

Fortunately, Harry is a nice guy. Unfortunately, he also tends to take shit that other people wouldn't let pass; which, more often than not, leaves him being the one who superficially looks bad.

2. Punt

Punt DA Member

That wasn't Hermione rubbing it in Harry's face. It was just JKR telling us about the book. Now that Dumbledore was dead, Hermione had to act as the 'Word of God' so that our curiosity about the book could be satisfied. But yeah it was a dick move.

3. Photon

Photon Order Member

It may explain why I was always a bit surprised by hate toward Hermione. I rarely identify with characters, and if I identified with anyone in HP - than it would be Hermione.

I also consider her a really interesting character, especially (probably completely unintentional) description of gradual assimilation by magical society, ending with muredering her parents via Obliviation.

4. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

So DLP would be happier if "Golden Trio" was composed of James Potter (TBWL) Sirius Black (Best Mate) and Remus Lupin (Voice of Reason/grrr)

5. Punt

Punt DA Member

I personally dislike the word 'Golden Trio'. Marauders sounds way cooler than that.

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

That could actually be a pretty cool plot bunny - what if the prophecy happened years earlier and it was James Potter who was the subject of it rather than his son. He wouldn't be the BWL because there wouldn't be any Snape to deliver the prophecy I suppose, and he'd have to take on Voldemort in his prime at the height of his power.

To be honest most Marauder era fics are terrible and it violates Potter Law number whatever because Harry isn't the protagonist, but it could be done pretty well. Some of the supporting cast around James is arguably better than Harry's as you said.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Naw, man. It's the curse-breaking, hot chick pulling, all-around bad-ass mofo Bill Weasley who's the Boy Who Lived. Molly, Arthur, and the Prewett brothers were all killed by Voldemort leaving Bill an only child.

Bill rolls out with Tonks and Fleur as the new Golden Trio.

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Too bad they didn't call themselves that, either. :mrgreen:

It was the "Marauders Map," not the "Marauders' Map."
    That is to say, it was a map for anyone who wanted to go marauding, not a map for a group called The Marauders. Hehe.

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I didn't want to create a new thread just for this question, though it is about DLP instead of HP.

Which forum would be the most suitable for me to post a world building thread which takes heavily from minecraft? Other Fandoms discussion or Misc Work by Author?

I don't mean world building for a fan fic, just world building for the sake of world building.

10. Punt

Punt DA Member

You're right. Its written as the Marauder's map which could mean either a map for people who go marauding or belonging to a dude called Marauder so they didn't really call themselves that.

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Other Fandoms discussion. Work by Author's for actual stories.

12. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

What's the plural of acromantula?

13. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Acromantulae imo

14. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

It's just Acromantula. I popped out 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' to look.

15. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

Is there a way to transfer large amounts of text to a thread and maintain the word document formatting (like italics, spacing etc.)?

16. Photon

Photon Order Member

ctrl-c ctrl-v? DLP has a very annoying habit of keeping formatting.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It depends entirely on what text editor you're using on DLP, as chosen in your settings.

User CP - Edit Options - Message Editor Interface.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Re: Hermione.

I dunno, why wouldn't her behaviour in PoA count? After all, I don't skip that book if I read through the series (it's actually one of the best IMO), so I have to endure Hermione there, and the question was who someone disliked in general. That aside, it's not just there. I remember repeatedly wanting to punch Hermione in the face in PS, PoA, OotP, HBP and DH. That's 5/7. I'm sure I could dig up something in the others too.

The negative highlights: Her pre-Troll behaviour (teacher's pet of the most annoying kind), the entire Crookshanks episode (impossible amounts of self-righteousness), the Firebolt (going behind people's back), her various I-told-you-so's (PoA, OotP, HBP, DH), her House-Elf crusade in OotP (how narrow-minded, presumptuous and convinced of yourself can you get?), the entire beginning of the DA (again doing stuff involving Harry without telling him), the HBP book thing (one of her ugliest sides, when she's incapable of not begrudging Harry his success).

On top of those specific instances, her bossy obnoxious nature, her overbearing, nagging attitude, her aggravating flaunting of her knowledge ... did I miss something? Basically, my dislike of her has nothing to do with the fact that I wish Harry was more like her (thank god he isn't), it's entirely Hermione's character I can't stand.

Now of course she's a good and loyal friend of Harry's, and obviously he likes her. But if the question is who I disliked, then Hermione is one of those types I couldn't stand being around in RL for five minutes.

19. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Is it ever state when exactly Sirius escapes from Azkaban?

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Not open for further replies.