1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Commercial image rights only exist in certain societies where they have an explicit legal classification. They also do not extend to all images of a given celebrity, a fact that tabloids exploit, but only to instances where the third party is using an image without consent to generate profit. You can't slap a celebrity's face on a billboard next to an ad for your new skin lotion, but you can publish a topless photo of said celebrity without infringing anything.

Mostly I brought up the issue of non-impersonation Polyjuice because it was earlier stated that taking Polyjuice of someone is inherently a violation of that person's rights regardless of intent or the actions taken while Polyjuiced. So I mentioned some instances where intent clearly does dictate the extend of the violation, if any.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems to me that "Polyjuice rights" have closer resemblance to DNA rights not image rights.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Polyjuice obviously does not work solely (or even primarily) off of DNA.

4. Skeletaure

High Score:
    That was not at all what I was saying. I wasn't saying anything about how Polyjuice works. I was saying that its legal status should be more similar to that of DNA than your image. Basically you're creating a temporary copy of a person's body aka a clone.

5. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

What about the need for the victim's hair? Or some other part of their body?

6. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

That is how the magic knows which person to turn into.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Hair doesnt even have a full copy of DNA in it, only mitacondrial DNA and depending on how long/old the hair is, that can be only partial.

So its obviously not copying DNA from hair.

8. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Why does the fandom hate Dumbledore? Why is there so much Dumbledore bashing? Yes Dumbledore was manipulative but it was for the benefit of everyone, and his actions played a huge role in Voldemort's defeat, even if he wasn't around personally to see it. So yes, he was manipulative, but definitely a good guy. Dumbledore is fucking awesome and how they fail to see it is beyond me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's because Rowling is a good writer, after all.

It depends entirely on your perspective. Children and youths typically have trouble looking past the most direct of effects -- what matters most is them, other considerations don't factor. The look at the so-called 'big picture' is something you acquire while growing up. And as such, Dumbledore must prove divisive: Just like Harry could not understand Dumbledore in OotP, so readers of an equal age cannot understand his reasons and instead identify with Harry's anger. I'm sure if there was a survey among the writers of those FF, you'd by and large get that age group.

@QuickBen: If you want to use that Hogwarts Express thingy to reverse-bash Canon (extrapolate an ambiguity to ridiculous extremes and then double back to construct a scene showing how ridiculous Canon is), I'm going to bash you. Use your common sense.

The answer to "So what stops an insane person or pedophile from getting their hands on some polyjuice, getting on the Hogwarts express and having their way with the children?" is "the same thing that has, so far, stopped your neighbour from killing you in your garden".

If you have figured out the reason (hint: it's not "security"), let us know.

10. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I really wasn't trying to somehow bash canon. I'm writing a story that has a character getting on the train and killing one of the students and I just wanted to know if canon has ever showed us that this is not possible.

The main reason I'm not completely sure is that we have never seen any of the parents get on the train even to somehow help situate their children on the train(parents often do this).

So yeah common sense tells me that there could be wards protecting the train or its an unspoken rule that adults other than the professors shouldn't go in(although the dementors got in and attacked one of the students). I just want to know if it has ever been mentioned in canon so that I don't deviate from it when I'm writing that particular scene.

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... what? No!

Common sense says of course everyone can board the train. It's not shown because it's not relevant. Everyone can jump onto the train and do whatever. Just like with any ordinary train sitting in a train station. Why would they put up some ridiculous protection measures or rules to ban adults? That makes no sense at all.

Edit: For Canon, and before Voldemort, obviously. If you invent a plausible reason for a FF, you can naturally have protection.

12. yourself196

yourself196 Squib DLP Supporter

Hopefully posting off topic questions is okay here.

I just my first syed post in the wba thread "Fawkes' Gift." I saw that he has his own tag and after glancing through his post history I saw a similar pattern of posts. Is he just trolling or is he actually serious? How did he manage to get his own tag, was he just that prolific?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

13. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just that prolific. Seems to be serious, also seems to be blind to people responding to him in a negative manner. There are one or two other members with low post counts with a similar steam of consciousness post style who may or may not be him, too, although that's just conjecture.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The ignore function is so damn handy sometimes.

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    At one point he seemed to respond to criticism and raise the quality of his posts, using things like capitalisation, paragraphs, and some measure of logical structure... but then he slipped back again and now is just like a zombie walking around DLP groaning, completely unresponsive to any reply.

16. Photon

Photon Order Member

It is not hiding people that respond to his/her posts. Mods: please, please ban syed. It is a pure trolling - maybe unintentional, but it is not changing anything.

From http://forums.darklordpotter.net/announcement.php?f=13&a=4

17. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Oh. I always figured that syed was like the village idiot and you guys had grown fond of him over time.

18. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

LOL NO.

Syed had a hate bandwagon the first time he ventured here from SB. Eventually he got temp-banned, but even the people bitching about him got sick and tired of bitching about him, so he's on ignore lists instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's on more ignore lists than any other DLP'er.

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The problem with the ignore function is that it doesn't hide the posts completely. There's always a thing saying "THERE'S A HIDDEN POST HERE".

I don't know about you guys, but I always have to click to open hidden things.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I take it that entering the Room of Hidden Things would prove to be a worthy prize for you?

Not open for further replies.