1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Being racist and slaughtering other people or fighting for peace. What are you sympatetic to?

2. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

I adhere more to the Pureblood faction. They have charm, depth and tradition, the side of Dumbledore cannot provide.

3. CrippledGod

CrippledGod Banned

What tradition? Before the Wizarding world went into hiding they lived pretty much like Muggles, at least that's what I think.
    Purge yourself of bad fan-fiction, my son.

4. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Except the part where they had things like gender equality, free education, and proper hygiene. Also that they've had those things for at least a thousand years. Sure, exactly the same as muggles in the sixteen hundreds and before.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

If I was a pureblood, I'd support Voldemort. If I was a muggleborn, I'd support Dumbledore.

Since they're both fictional, I don't support either though I like Voldemort better.

6. CrippledGod

CrippledGod Banned

Purebloods, as far as I can recall, had no distinctly differing traditions from Muggles. The Malfoys lived like wealthy Muggle aristocrats and the Weasleys lived like a normal, broke Muggle family.
    Apparently, thousands of years of free education, gender equality and proper hygiene didn't really change anything.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Alright.

The point of this thread is to ask a specific question because you are unsure of the answer -- i.e. if you are writing a story and can't quite remember detail XYZ from Canon, or you need a quick opinion on a certain aspect of Canon, but it doesn't quite deserve its own thread, your friendly fellow members will be glad to help you out. (And incidentally, since it's in HP/FF, that should be the only topic too, but so far, with an odd question now and then, at least you didn't abuse it too much).

However, this thread is not a thread where the questions are self-purpose. Actually, there's not any such thread in the forums anywhere. And it's exempt from the Necropost rule, so it doesn't need to be bumped either.

So unless a you can demonstrate that you are planning on writing a story with a Remus/Tonks pairing, set in a Pureblood-dominated world run by Manipulative!Dumbledore, could you please stop cluttering this thread with inane questions, Alexx?

And that goes for everyone.

Edit: To make it more clear.

Ex1:

A narrow, specific subject, and can be dealt with in a few posts: Good question.

Ex2:

Completely lacking a purpose, impossibly broad subject and basically not about Canon but about the members of this board: Bad question.

8. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Having those things in the first place means they're culturally different than muggles and lived differently to them. Nobody descended from on high and made them live a certain way.

In terms of the idea I was responding to and quoted "Before the Wizarding world went into hiding they lived pretty much like Muggles", you are factually wrong.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Fixed that for you. Now asking a question, do we have any ideia of any other magical beings, except those who appear in the books? i.e. Vampires, Leprechauns, Goblins, Veela, Centaur and Mermaids. Are there any more in other canons or semi-canons sources?

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, all those in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, obviously, but I'm not sure if you were counting that as "the books".

11. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When do you stop editing your work and let it stand as-is? Every time I read a chapter I've written, I want to add something, change something, remove something, reword something, etc.

At some point, I need to be finished with it, read for errors, and then post it. Anyone have a limit for rewriting while editing?

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Did I ask you to correct me, Invictus? I think I did not. It's meant exactly as it's written there. So kindly stfu.

@E.C.: When I'm completely happy with it. Which is why everything takes me ages, but considering I don't get paid and don't have deadlines, I couldn't care less.

Not terribly useful, but then that's the answer to your question.

13. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Actually, that is helpful, since that seems to be the way I'm going. I was just wondering if I was over analyzing everything.

14. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

The 7 books and the 3 spin-off. Weel, whe I said beings, I meant those with sentience. They, according to Fantastic Beasts won't be listed there, since they aren't beasts. Well, except Centaurs and Mermaids. But they asked the classification.

Sorry then, just joking.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  15. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Seamus mentions hags a few times.

16. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Dwarves were mentioned in CoS, delivering valentines. They never reappear and are not mentioned elsewhere.

Oh, and don't forget the noble High Elves, hidden immortal kin to the lowly house-elf. And the dragons, who are actually intelligent and fully sapient and also somehow willing to serve as steeds for squishy wizards. And orcs, because if you're going to rip off Tolkien, you might as well go whole hog.

17. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Don't forget the Dementors, the Nazgûl’s bastard sons.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I think the Dwarves might have just been small people.

19. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Agree with Oz about the dwarves. In the elfic department I only remeber those child-eating bavarian ones from Fantastic Beasts. I think I rember hags and the Knockturn Alley, but it might have been in some fic. The dementors is one, are they really sentient? I would classify them like an evil immortal shadow ghoul, eviiil but not fully sentient.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  20. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Harry saw a Hag in The Leaky Cauldron in PoS, and I think that one of the Lockhart books was about them.

Not open for further replies.