1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I don't know. The last time someone wrote something inspired by Indo-European Mythology it ended bad for Europe.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There's also the Lovecraftian horrors/eldritch abominations I'm sure this board would be able to imagine easily, which could also be related back to mythology and/or space.

4. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Two random questions:

1. What are your opinions on Grindelwald?

2. Why did so many Pureblood extremists side with Voldemort? Yes, he's a powerful dark wizard who happens to be a parselmouth. But he is also, technically a mudblood. He probably has followers who remember him from his school years, when he was known as Tom Riddle. Between that name, his muggle background (despite his hatred of the muggle world, he still grew up in it), his lack of money, and so on, you would think he would not be as powerful, especially seeing how people existed who were perfectly aware who he was.

5. meev

meev Groundskeeper

No, technically he's a half-blood. Mudblood is a term for muggleborns, who are the ones pureblood supremacists have the issue with. They don't seem to care about half-bloods at all. There's no derogatory term for them or anything from what I remember, and the justification they used for sanction against muggleborns can't apply to half-bloods.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  6. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

He had absolutely no proof whatsoever he had a Wizard relative. And as Dean proved, just because you say you have a Wizarding parent doesn't mean people will believe you. And his last name is so obviously Muggle, meaning it isn't hard for most people to conclude he is in fact a 'mudblood,' even if he's technically a half-blood.

7. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Doesn't change the fact he's not "technically a mudblood"

Also Potter or Weasley sound more common and Muggle to me than Riddle does honestly. I've never actually heard of someone with the last name Riddle. I have with the last name Potter. Your justification that it sounds "obviously muggle" seems to be based on literally nothing other than it was the last name of a guy who was a muggle.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I said technically: he has no proof whatsoever that he has Magical relatives. It took him six years before he could track them down.

Let me rephrase it then: Potter and Weasley are probably well-known Wizarding last names. Riddle is probably not.

9. RAWRcarrie

RAWRcarrie First Year

It seemed like anyone who did know about his half blood heritage was scared into being silent about it, they didn't hate half bloods as much as mudbloods but they were considered less pure, so there was some prejudice there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

They probably thought that since he was a parselmouth and it was such a rare magical skill associated with Slytherin, he had to have at least one magical relative. And if you remember Slughorn's memories, his classmates seemed to be charmed by his abilities. So perhaps he showed them who is the boss in terms of skill and then lied about his background to make it seem like he was abandoned by his real family and the name was given at the orphanage (if he even told them about it instead of lying about it). Afterwards, his classmates/followers thought "Well, being owned by a pureblood from an old family that seems to be the chosen one to accomplish all we ever wanted in life sounds better than being so by a subhuman that calls himself a wizard" and decided to believe him.

Years after his pilgrimage Riddle comes back with a different name and working from the shadows with only his oldest followers and Albus knowing who he is or silencing anyone who dares to badmouth him. So for the younger death eaters he is the Heir of Slytherin and for the older Death Eaters he is the Heir of Slytherin whom they had the vision to recognize and follow from the beginning despite what those treacherous muggles were thinking when naming him.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Tom Riddle (prior to shattering his soul and turning into a mustache-twirling, trope-spewing Big Bad) was an uncannily charismatic and calculating figure. That he could rise from such a beginning to rule the Wizarding world merely underscores his awesome.

Had Patrick Rothfuss written Harry Potter, Tom Riddle would have been Kvothe.

12. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

^ Without the issue of an uncontrollable temper setting him back every few chapters ;)

13. Punt

Punt DA Member

Rowling wrote young Tom Riddle as an ambitious and charismatic bastard so it is plausible for him to be able to manipulate some spoiled pure-blood brats into following him. Most of Hogwarts were quick to believe Harry to be the Heir of Slytherin after his show of parseltongue so Riddle shouldn't have a harder time.

14. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Yeah that was my entire point. I think you may be mistaken about what that word means. He was technically a half-blood, because that's what he was.

15. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Which just reminds me of how stupid he was. If instead of going Dark Lord he worked in society he would own everything and everyone by the time canon begins.

16. Punt

Punt DA Member

Riddle could have become the Minister of Magic if he wanted, he had everything going for him. Unfortunately, he wanted immortality first which lead to him becoming unhinged. He was a psychopath anyway so the chances are he would have become a ruthless dictator like Sidius or something. There's also Dumbledore, who was at the height of his popularity who would have opposed his campaign.

17. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Has anyone written a good version of this? Without slash involved?

18. Punt

Punt DA Member

The Skitterleap has that somewhat but its massively AU from canon. Its written by enembee so you've probably read it though.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So, rando question: Minister FOR Magic or Minister OF Magic?

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Ministry of Magic.
    Minister for Magic.

Not open for further replies.