1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

An author could justify it either way, but I lean towards no because Dumbledore used Homenum Revelio frequently yet he never discovered any of the many Animagi (the Marauders and Rita Skeeter) in the series. I also recall at least one scene in which Pettigrew was in his rat form in Dumbledore's presence.

Or maybe they just all got lucky and he never cast the spell when they were near him in animal form.

2. EmbroElite

EmbroElite Disappeared DLP Supporter

I don't recall Dumbledore ever using Homenum Revelio, but it's been years since I read the books. Can you let me know which of the books it says, or implies, that he used the spell frequently.

3. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Rowling has said that Dumbledore's ability to see through Harry's invisibility cloak is based on "homenum revelio". For that to work with any kind of reliability he's got to be doing it all the time.

4. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The couple of instances where Dumbledore could 'see' Harry wearing the cloak of invisibility, he didn't show his wand (or Harry didn't notice). So I don't think that he cast the spell. I always thought that he could 'see' Harry in the same way he could 'feel' the magic in the cave where the Horcrux was hidden. It's a technique he had.

5. EmbroElite

Based on doesn't mean using. It's quite possibly he developed a spell simply to sense invisibility cloaks during the war with Grindelwald, or at some other point. If he was as prominent of a figure during that war, even near the end, as he was against Voldemort, he would have been targeted by assassins, some using invisibility to try and catch him off guard.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

arkkitehti wasn't quoting directly. There was no 'based on' in the original quote.

7. EmbroElite

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Was just using the information given to me to form a plausible alternative.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Portus

Portus Heir

Well, it /is/ definitive.

Good point but to be fair, Dumbledore was pretty unlikely to cast that particular spell if Harry was in the room with him or if he knew exactly where Harry happened to be at that moment, given that Harry's Cloak was usually the only one of those rare items in the school and Harry was not in the habit of loaning it out.

And now I'm imagining a one-shot in which person after person trips over something out of the blue, only to find a glassy-eyed dead body under an invisibility cloak. The Aurors are running from place to unrelated place all over the UK, their frustrating and the body count mounting with no discernible connection save the ever-present invisibility cloak. Some of the dead are unknown foreign wizards, elevating concerns of Grindelwald moving in from the Continent, but many are British witches and wizards, and more than a few are actually (gasp) Muggles.

The DMLE catches a break when a curious Arithmancer from the Dept. of Magical Finance figures out a correlation between the locations of the bodies and the 'social' schedule of Hogwarts' Transfiguration Professor Albus Dumbledore. Questioned about the coincidence, Dumbledore would rather talk about adventure and flying temptresses, according to reports. Several additional bodies and the same location coincidences later, the DMLE takes the bold step of setting up a 'sting' for the strange Professor...

And that's where I can't decide if I'd like the story to have (a) Dumbledore realizing this newest "assassin" is a DMLE fake and thus avoiding having to flog him or her or them, or (b) Dumbledore laying the smack-down on an entire cadre of DMLE elites and, afterwards, either chastising them for nearly getting themselves killed by fucking with him, or merely Obliviating the lot of them and proceeding to erase all records of the entire investigation pertaining to himself.

Yeah, there's not much better than badass, gloves off, in-his-prime Dumbledore, particularly when the author gets the voice right and has old Albus dismantling his opponents verbally as well as magically.

9. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Not sure if this has been discussed here earlier, but can a living/conscious being summoned with an Accio charm? In canon, I recall only non living objects being summoned.

I was reading the latest update in 'Wizard for hire' where Harry uses the charm to summon unconscious animal. That got me wondering if conscious magical creatures can inherently break it.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, hp-lexicon say this:

I'd forgotten those. The scene with Hagrid is pretty confusing because it's a fight, but from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to work. Maybe it would work in better circumstances, though.

The other one could be classified as an object, again.

That said, my feeling is that at least animals should be able to be summoned. Not sure if I remember something from the books there, or if it's just a general feeling. Edit: There's some more stuff in this video game Rowling made with Sony. A wizard tried to summon a farm, the buildings would not budge, but the livestock did.

As a side note, it's a rather silly tale, but the underlying idea is interesting:

That was in 1743. Leaving aside the nonsense for the sake of comedy (like their leader getting crushed under the cows he summoned because he had been running out of food) and their demise because as extremists, they obviously had to fail in a children's tale, it seems like something that could well be used in a story, slightly remodelled. Make Accionites of today less stupid, more creative in the ways to use magic and invent spells, and influential in pureblood circles, and you get a very interesting platform to work with.

Here's a link to the video.

11. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

As a half-giant, doesn't Hagrid also have some form of inherent resistance to magic? That may also account to why the spell failed, though I can't recall if that's fanon or not. So if a creature can resist magic to an extent (such as dragons), I imagine they could fend it off without conscious effort, whereas any other creature would have no automatic defence and need to use a spell of some sort.

12. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Harry used the Summoning Charm on a toad, which was trying to escape during a Charms lesson for the Silencing Charm - 5th year.

13. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Are there any works about dumbledore vs grindelwald that any of you could recommend?

14. Rache

Rache Headmaster

There a few good ones. Unfortunately, they carry the disease called 'slash'. Most authors cannot put the efforts behind creating the atmosphere in which Grindelwald wars were fought.

If you can ignore the slash parts, check out A Twist of Fate by firephoenix8. I read it a while ago without realizing that it was slash.

15. Infidel

Infidel Auror

But is the toad magical? I don't think so. As far as I know, Accio charm does not create a flash of light when cast. The possibilities for its use are phenomenal. I'm surprised that it's not used more often in the books.

16. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Dumbledore/Grindelwald slash is canon though. Of course, good romance in fanfiction is a rarity. Good slash must be one in a million.

17. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Is it canon? Nothing was ever mentioned about it either way in the books. JK Rowling came out and said Dumbledore was gay after the release of the last book. Not sure if that counts as 'canon.

18. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

Typically, an author's word is accepted as canon unless it directly contradicts something stated within the material itself, or they're able to adequately justify the discrepancy.

That said, I don't believe that a romantic Grindelwald/Dumbledore relationship existed, nor do I believe that Rowling has implied as such. As far as I'm aware, nothing has been said to discourage the possibility of Dumbledore harbouring unreciprocated feelings.

19. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

I usually don't like slash because it involves characters acting very much unlike what we know about them. A story about Grindelwald and Dumbledore though? I don't care how much of their relationship is canon - what we do know about them is enough that it would be very believable for them to have had a relationship at some point.

What I got from the books--and interviews--is that Dumbledore liked Grindelwald, while Grindelwald took advantage of that to use him. How he took advantage of that, I don't really know. But there's enough evidence to suggest that he eventually came to see Dumbledore as a friend(not telling about his grave/ the wand before dying, though that could be just him being a dick).

What I mean is, the two have more of a reason to be in a relationship than a lot of stuff people write fanfiction about and the two being in a relationship would be perfectly in character - so what's the issue?

20. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

:facepalm

I think the issue is that nobody wants to imagine Dumbledore sucking Grindelwald's cock, or taking it up the ass... apparently except for you.

Not open for further replies.