1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Deep magic. Irremovable.

2. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I honestly hope that's the truth because the idea of Voldemort tapping into the power of the Elder Gods because he didn't get the job he wanted is hilarious to me.

3. Georgesickle

Georgesickle Banned DLP Supporter

Has anyone read any Fics where the curse is broken/removed without Voldemort dying? seems like it could be an interesting way to explore deep/old magics.

4. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I'd say the curse is just another example of JKR not really thinking things trough/plot device. It really doesn't seem to fit into Dumbledore's character to know about the curse and still happily hire new teachers one after another, including personal friends of his. We don't know what the mortality rate is, but surely there has been at least a few dead ones during the ~40(?) years the curse was active.

If the curse itself was unbreakable Dumbledore could have worked around it. E.g. there's no reason why Defense couldn't be taught as a part of other subjects.

5. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'm not so sure. You can't have Dumbledore's character solving all the problems generated by Lord Voldemort. He's an extremely knowledgeable wizard, but he's not God.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Arkkitehti, I don't think this is how the curse works. If you renamed it to something else, like 'Bubble-Charming Lessons!' it would still attack the teacher.

If, as you say, you taught Defense as part of other subjects, then it could be possible that ALL of these subjects would be affected. That is a risk which cannot be taken.

7. afrojack

Elder Gods? Why can't it just be an extremely powerful piece of magic cast by an ingenious wizard?

8. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

You said Deep Magic. That implies Elder Gods. Or at least that's what came to mind for me.

9. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I never thought the curse itself was something deep and obscure. Riddle is one of the few who thought Hogwarts was home. As the discoverer of the Chamber of Secrets, I am sure he delved into the magics and unknowns that seemed to belong to only Hogwarts. I would be more inclined to believe he found a way for Hogwarts to dispel the new teacher every year than some curse.

We know Dumbledore doesn't know as much as Riddle about Hogwarts. He didn't know about the chamber, or the room of requirements. So he would be powerless to remove such a device. It seems those who believe Hogwarts is their home find things about it that the others wouldn't. It is just Voldemort is fucking brilliant and Harry sucks.

10. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Codex Alera:

What happens to Furies when they aren't being actively called? Do they sort of go inside their user, turn invisible and follow them, or was it not mentioned?

Also, have I got the understanding of Fury catching right:
    You use watercrafting as a base, to weave yourself through the Fury, and then you weaken it using the opposite, before drawing it inside you.
    ?

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

How much do we know about Arithmancy and Ancient Runes from canon?

I know that technically Arithmancy is probably just making predictions using numbers, and Ancient Runes is likely just learning to read them, but if none of that is clarified in canon then it gives me a lot more room to play around with them.

Granted I'm writing an AU so I can change it anyway, but knowing is or isn't said in canon is always a good starting point.

12. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

This pretty much. We know nothing from canon about Ancient Runes. I don't particularly like how most of the fandom use them however. If what they said was the case then we would have seen a lot more of them in canon.

I'd use them in an much different way in a real AU (not just a point of divergence, but in an totally alternate universe) and make it a different brand of magic that few can do because of the difficulty or lack of artistic talent, or for whatever reason. I'm writing an AU where Harry specifically goes to an AU to learn this brand of magic. It's their version of the Dark Arts where Lily Evans never existed and Bellatrix Black is the Dark Arts Professor... and not insane.

But it's not specifically "Ruinic Magic," whatever the hell that is. It's ritual based building off of the idea of Lily's sacrifice to save Harry and Harry's sacrifice to save everyone at Hogwarts. That's the idea anyway. And now that I've gotten totally off topic, I'll shut up.

My point is make it something original and not the same ol' "I'll just scribble something there and "charge it" with magic and it'll be super strong and shield me from even Dumbledore level magic!"

13. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

If you want to use some sort ritual magic I would advice you to check out Dresden RPG system.

If nothing else it would give you some ideas.

14. afrojack

No.

First of all, I said "Deep magic." The D was only capitalized because it came at the beginning of a sentence.

Second of all, how in the world does that imply "Elder Gods?" Neither of those words necessarily implies divinity. Is that from some other fictional universe?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

About Ancient Runes, I assume it gives you a better understanding about today spells/magic by learning how it was done before.

Kind of like we learn latin in school to understand our langage better, it doesn't seem very useful at first but it gives you an appreciated edge in several subjects.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I like that Shymer, it also gave me another idea (that I may or may not use), which is that some of the complicated wand movements for advanced spells actually trace runes as part of the cast.

17. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Depending on when exactly you have wands existing the opposite might be better, runes were brought about by people noticing that property in most advanced spells and trying to translate into a 2d medium.

Or even the reason wands exist today is because of staves or whatever other tools they used led to runes which lead to wands as the best one to use. This ties in with Shymer's idea and allows you to show the evolution of the ways wizards use magic through time.

18. afrojack

Well, Arithmancy is supposed to be a form of "prediction" using numbers, but I feel it would be of an entirely different sort than that which occurs in Trelawney's attic.

I would reason it as the art of using numbers to make predictions about the intrinsic qualities and behaviors of whatever magic is being analyzed, whether it is some kind of object or set of objects, a spell, or the wizard himself. By understanding the numbers relevant to whatever is being studied, one could presumably presage at least some information about what he or she encounters.

It would also allow Arithmancers to tweak the magic by applying different numerical or possibly even alchemical principles to the same piece of magic.

In the sixth book, when Harry is examining Snape's notes, the latter recommends adding a clockwise stir every seventh counterclockwise stir. He also suggests the use of a silver knife specifically, in addition to crushing as opposed to cutting the bean.

In the movie, this is done by having Snape correct a 12 to a 13 in one of the instructions for the Draught of Living Death (13 is more sinister than 12), building on this trend, which would certainly support the idea that Arithmancy might allow for a certain level of insight into or experimentation with magic that utilizes numerical principles, or to which those principles could be applied.

This isn't like Trelawney saying that if thirteen people sit at a table, the first to rise will be the first to die. I don't think Arithmancy would have to do with predicting specific events so much as relative behaviors, characteristics, and relationships.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  19. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Further support to the idea that numerology is a large part of arithmancy is, of course, Tom Riddle's assertion that seven is the most powerfully magical number.

Based solely on canon I'd surmise that ancient runes is solely a language — Hermione translated the Tales of Beedle the Bard from runes, for instance — and that its applicability for modern day wizardry has more to do with ancient sources of knowledge than anything else.

A lot of fanon asserts that ancient runes is used for enchanting (and even more for warding in particular. This, I think, stems from media with geometric magic like Full Metal Alchemist or Dresden Files). The strongest evidence that this isn't true is that neither Fred nor George received an OWL for ancient runes. That's not conclusive proof, however as they didn't receive a potions OWL but appear to be very good potioneers.

This line of reasoning actually led me do a quick search of the books and I'm not sure I came up with an answer that's correct — or at least one that raises more questions: are wards and warding even canon? So far as I can tell the "blood wards" around No. 4 Privet Drive are considered a magical protection and they center not on the property itself but upon Petunia and Harry living there. I can certainly understand using the term as a sort of shorthand, but I don't know quite where it entered the Harry Potter lexicon.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  20. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

You are quite correct. Wards or warding are not canon. The words are used but only in their classical uses - think hospital wards, not a specific sub-type of magic.

Not open for further replies.