1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rational thesis on why didn't AD teach Harry The "Dark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sepanto, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

I was thinking about all charcters whom we know to have used "Dark Arts", Severus Snape, Draco Malfoy, Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix LeStrange, Tom Riddle. As i thought on this i realised that out of these, Draco and Bellatrix seems to have lost it (Draco was nearly in tears when he had to cast Ak).
    Lucius, Severus and Tom are all identified by their "Coolness and Sarcasm", it struck me that AGAINST ALL PROTESTS OF EVERY FUCKING FF WRITER DARK ARTS ARE DANGEROUS, AND THERE IS A REASON FOR BANNING THEM. insted of the usual "the ministry wants control so he banned them"it seems to me that the dark arts are addicting and dangerous.
    Each of the "Sane" part seems to possess alot of backbone, and not letting anyone step over them, (Young Snape does not count, current one does). Dumbledore saw how Harry lets everyone, (Molly,Vernon, Petunia,Dudley, Hermione...) boss Harry around, and realised, that harry does not possess the charcter required for dark arts. This seems to be the reason why he sent harry to all the dangers, to build dark-arts complient attitude, so he won't fall into them and be consumed by them.

2. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    You know, that is a very good point. I never looked at it in that way.

3. fatal

fatal Backtraced

thankyou you have helped us all : )

4. LINKed up

Just wondering, but who is that supposed to be in you sig fatal?

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think you might be mixing action and reaction there.

The thing is, people who would even WANT to learn Dark Arts are mostly criminals, wariors or those seeking power - exactly the same kind of people who would naturally be unpleasant, unstable or general bastards.

What I am saying is that people like Snape, Malfoy & Riddle are the way they are thanks to their upbringing and ambitions (cold, sarcastic or borderline mad), which are the same qualities that pushed them towards learning the dark arts.

What you are practically saying is that they have all been nice and fun-loving kids until they started delving into the dark, which I honestly find hard to beleive (remember, in HBP Riddle was bullying kids before he even knew magic is real).

6. LINKed up

Again a good point. But as the saying goes, fight fire with fire.

7. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

That is NOT what i am saying. What I am saying is that while you are overall correct, dark magic corrupts them more. also AI say that the weakminded fools who looks for power via dark arts will be consumed the dark power.

8. Element

Element Seventh Year

I'm not seeing it really. Perhaps they are addictive, but I don't think the the point of craziness. Remember that Bella has spent years in Azkaban, surrounded by dementors. I've no doubt that is why she is insane.

9. LINKed up

And its why she isn't as hott as she could be.

10. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Are there no people addicted to crack to the point of craziness?

11. LINKed up

True. There are.

12. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

13. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I actually agree with this. Look at Barty Crouch Jr. His speech at the end of Goblet as he lead Harry away was pretty nuts ("I'll be his favorite" etc.)

He spent LESS THAN A YEAR with the dementors. Most of the time he was an imperious cursed FOG. No bad memories there. Remember Igor, and how he said, "I NEED to speak with you," He was practically FRANTIC when his dark mark began to even show up a little bit.

Think of all the death eaters we have ever encountered in Canon. Only Lucius and Snape seem capable of keeping their shit together. And Pettigrew, but he wasn't in the field, and he doesn't really know Dark Arts as he never fights.

There really is something to this arguement. I say its at LEAST worth considering.

14. Inferi

Inferi Third Year

I don't think so. If you remember from the fourth book in the discussion about Crouch Sr. it says he gave the Aurors the use of the Unforgivables, why would you tell people that work for you to use curses that make you insane.

And what would be the basis of the insanity? the addiction or the fact that dark arts deal with hurting people, and hurting people in that way is usually a sign something is wrong with someone. But as IP82 said it could be they turned to the dark arts because they were insane, not vice versa.

And if this is true we should be seeing quite a bit of psycho!Harry in the seventh book. Remember when he was chasing Snape? He was throwing around crucio and the sectumsempra like nobodies business.

And Crouch junior could have been effected by the dementors in a severe way... he did just help torture two people into insanity nevermind what else he did.

15. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I have never seen any evidence whatsoever in the HP books that the Dark arts changes people. That sectumsempra spell Harry used in HBP could be potentially called a Dark Art and he didn't change at all after using it on Malfoy. If anything he felt bad about it.

16. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

harry is an idiot. who knows what JKR makes him out to be.

on another note dark arts is just addictive. and the further you go into the dark arts without knowing what your doing then that's when insanity comes barging in through the door.