1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Reason for hating Harry/Ginny?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by chronic dragon, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Lord Nemesis Black

Lord Nemesis Black Fourth Year

does anyone feel like Ginny may have used some type of love potion or a spell of some kind that was never mentioned?
    Cause that what it seems like to me. I can't see Harry start to think that way about the little strumbit

2. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

love potions are the kinda shit that should be banned from using. it messes with people's emotions. that's not cool man.

3. Lord Nemesis Black

i never said that it was.. it's just that to me it feels like maybe ginny used one on Harry so that he would start to notice her more and like her more.

4. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

thats exactly what I thought!
    because, in the first, what 4 or 5 books he's obsessed with Cho Chang who in canon, is actually pretty and then suddenly at the end of book 5 Ginnys dating all these popular boys and then in book 6 bam! Harry wants to punch Deans face in for snogging her. Its such an overnight development its unreal. To be honest I cant see Harry even lusting after his best mates lil sis whos spent the past 4 years trailing around after him like a little lost puppy dog.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Generally guys have 3 rules about dating

#1. Never date a girl thats either A) Obsessed with you, or B) Stalking you... EVER!!! Unless after you are done using her for your own purposes you have planned on a complete identity (and appearence) change and out of state move the second you break up with her.

#2. Don't date your best friends sister... Dating a friends sister is understandable, and it may be done with caution... But dating a close friends little sister is... Well it's like incest really.

#3. Don't involve yourself with a girl who has proven (over time) to be a petty, jealous, serial dating girl with major issues who just happens to be your best female friends best female friend.

By dating Ginny, Harry manages to break all three.

6. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

You see... That's justification for disliking H/G.
    I get a bit annoyed with some of the reasoning behind hating the ship thats put up here which is completely spurious. I don't particualrly like the ship but the "he noticed her so suddenly" argument just doesn't work. I'd agree with the not dating a serial dating girl point, but 2 boyfriends in a year, at 15?? That's not serial dating, that's average.
    But don't date a stalker
    and don't date your best friends sister.
    and at that age try to stick to your own yeargroup.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

True about the serial dating... But the impression JKR gives in Canon is that Ginny leans that way when it comes to relationships.

But seriously, your best friends little sister IS your sister when it comes to dating.

8. That_Boy

Very True, and best friends ex's are off the cards too. Unless there are extenuating circumstances.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

The ex's really depend on the situation, and how serious their relationship was.

10. That_Boy

one night stands etc. don't count. I meant if they had a relationship of more than a month or so then there has to be a good excuse. If the breakup was your friend's fault because they were being a twat then it's allowed.

11. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

the best friends little sister is like your sister thing only works if you are close to that sister. I wouldnt say Harry is particularly close to Ginny but hes close to the rest of the Weasleys so its like family.

surely at 15 you are more likely to date someone outside your yeargroup?

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It doesn't matter if you don't have a close relationship with the best friends little sister. As she relates to dating, she is your sister. It is your job to help your best friend threaten her boyfriends. This is not possible if her boyfriend is you.

13. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

i dont see it like that. but then, my close friends and my brothers close friends, we're kind of a group anyway, like one best friend dating one of my brothers best friends etc. So if I date a friend I date one of my brothers best friends also...so i guess it depends. I can see that working with Ginny though because Ron is so protective

14. Demon God of Chaos

Demon God of Chaos Seventh Year

i can't see a relationship between Ginny and Harry occurring. for one, Lily is often compared with Ginny... Only James is mentioned often in conjunction with soem skills that Harry uses ( Transfiguration, daring streak.)

the relationship between lily and James comes to me as a bit odd too... Lily was not attracted to James... in fifth year... then suddenly she has a change of heart... and loves him... i think i can sense soemthign amongst the lines of Merope gaunt... but james in Merope's role and Lily being T. Riddle Sr.

then you should eb able to see the resemblance. int eh first few books ginny was some sort of passing figure, then suddenly he loves her...

this reeks of a love potion...

15. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Lili hated James all through Hogwarts UNTIL 7th year. James, was head boy as was Lily. They had to spend time together, plus he became less prick-like so they became friends and then lovers. Merope was desperate.

As for Harry/Ginny, no matter HOW MUCH I hate the ship you can't call her a slut. She's only had wat 2 boyfriends. I'd say a desperate, annoying, star-struck girl who couldn't handle being from afar much like Merope Gaunt.

Think about it Merope's poor, Ginny's poor. She used love potion on Tom Riddle Sr., she most likely used it on Harry.

Remember Tom and Harry are compared alot, they look alike etc. and I think it says somewhere in the book Voldy looked like his dad meaning Harry looked like Riddle Sr. So put Harry as Tom Riddle Sr. and Ginny as Merope Gaunt. Also Merop and Ginny are Pureblood. Also Riddle liked someone else before he liked Merope. Harry liked Cho. Many possibilities, but I hope this theory makes sense.

16. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Asking us why we hate ginny is like asking why the wind blows. It is like asking the stars why they shine. We do not question it, rather we accept it as a fact of nature. Do you question the wind why it blows? Do you question the tiger why it hunts? It is all in the nature of the rational human being, as it was genetically set there, if you ignore the mutations (aka H/g lovers).

17. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

H/G in canon feels fake. I mean come on... There was the beast in his stomach. Suddenly Harry sees Ginny everywhere. Its a cannon ball out of left field. If JKR had built it up over the books then I could understand. But no in book 5 Ginny has gotten over her crush on Harry. How the blazes did that happen? Its not that easy to get over a crush/obsession you have had for YEARS.

Besided I hate Wipped!Harry which he seems to be in all H/G fanfic....

18. That_Boy

Oh God! How many times do I have to say it. There are loads of valid reasons for disliking H/G. They make sense and especially in fanfic we can see that it never works. But this isn't one of them, That's how it happens, especially at that age, you do suddenly notice people. I had huge crushes on some of my best friends at that age, who I'd known for years and never looked at in that way before. It's hormones and it happens.

19. Lord Nemesis Black

I don't think that anyone is doubting that love does sometimes happen that way but, the relationship between Harry and Ginny during their 5th/6th year and 4th/5th year respectively absoultly reeks of some type of love potion or spell. If I remember correctly, and I might be wrong, but what other reason would ginny have for looking at the love potions that her brothers have in the shop. If not for the reason of insnareing Harry, than please tell me.

20. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Perhaps but a persons upbringing molds how they see the world. Harry has had a shit filled life. I can't see him becoming a 'normal' teen and just letting hormones over come him. I mean he threw throw off the Imperius on first try. That speak of strenght of his willpower. People like that don't suddenly become homornal teens. Its out of character.

And if its hormones why not the Patil twins? They are supposed to be the hottest girls in school. Why no fantasy's about them togetehr? Hell why not Hermione?? She's his closest friend, someone who has stuck by him when he was shunned, the person he spent 5 years getting to know and someone he trusts absolutly. Why not her? Why only Ginny?

As Lord Nemesis said it reaks of love potions. I would like to point to the time Ron ate the love potion filled chocolate. He was suddenly infatuated with RV and can't stop thinking about her. Isn't that how Harry feels about Ginny? Suddenly he can't stop thinking about her but stops himself proclaiming his love out of fear of Ron's reaction. There are so many similarities in the two cases, only Harry shows restraint. That could be because of his willpower or its a weak potion.

But the whole H/G still feel fake.