1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Registration is Open

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Nov 3, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Why was registration closed before? I haven't been around a lot lately, did I miss something?

2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

An in-flux of too many bots, resulting in spams.

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If the newest batch is any indication, more rigorous measures have to be taken.

4. Portus

Portus Heir

Indeed. Far be it from me to complain since I know roughly jack-shit to do about it, but already the bots are necroing the library threads. It's an annoyance for those of us who pretty much only use the New Posts feature to browse DLP, and I'm betting it's a real pain in the ass to the Mods having to endlessly delete that shit.

Probably more of the knowing roughly jack-shit thing here, but does this translate to Lens of Sanity was banned along with Saint's Felony, and if so that's because why? Same IP address? Other??

And if I'm about to get the "I'm not your answer man, bitch, go look it up," then at least give the intertubes dumbass a link, hmm?

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We have secret methods to detect those who post dupe accounts. These are secret. And they work for bananas. And are capable of flying. :D

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably the same IP, yeah. Some folks share the same IP address depending on their ISP, and I've heard of other users on other sites being blocked because of the actions of one particular asshat who they shared the address with unknowingly.

7. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Honestly though, I don't even understand the guy's reasoning. How many of the spam bots and retards are going to be donating anyway?

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

My initial assumption about his post was that he was donating to DLP but hadn't posted/contributed much in terms of post count. Was he an actual donator? If not I have no idea what his post was about. ...but even if my guess was right, it still doesn't make a lot of sense, heh.

9. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

One of the more extreme measures I've seen is moderated initial posts - that is, the first three (or five, or whatever) posts a user makes go into limbo until they're approved or rejected by a moderator.

It would work in this case, but man, that would suck for site staff.

10. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Perhaps there could be a security question that they have to answer correctly, something like "What is the meaning of life?" If they can't answer that, we probably don't want them anyway.

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There are ways around that. Botting is annoying, slightly sophisticated in some of the measures they can bypass, but mostly annoying. I blame Krzaq. Allowing polish people on the site always brings bots <3

12. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't think it should be a question that can be answered by a number ;)

Maybe force e-mail confirmation of the first three or five posts a new user makes? It should defeat pretty much any out-of-the-shelf spambot script.

13. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ravenclaw shared with me at least one of the secret methods. Now Snarf and I can suddenly become triplets with a third user that is Definitely Not The Heir.

Jokes aside, I'm hoping that there are no more bots incoming. I hate it when DLP is down. I don't get to read all of Skelemort's theories of magic.

14. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Just the first post is sufficient in my experience; the only time you'll have a spammer take the time to write a real post before starting to spam is if it's high-effort personally-targeted hate-spam rather than just the usual advertising junk. Moderating them is really boring, but it was about 15 minutes per day for me for a forum that got ~500 spam posts per day until I managed to break the automated registrations.

15. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I'd imagine the easiest way would just have admin verification of new members. Though, this will be tedious, it's probably not much worse than dealing with deleting bot posts all day long.

16. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

I'm so glad this wasn't around when I signed up.
    I'm a fucking terrible poster.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

...I must've accidentally mixed 1 part Midknight into your drink you were sipping on when you were reading this, damn bro. Good show, carry on I approve.

18. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

It doesn't always work. My home forum EOCF (Extreme Overclocking Forum, though it should be called Extreme Underclocking Forum) has the same security question implemented, but spammers still get through.

The forum owner admitted that he made a honey pot forum using the same address. In fact, we didn't see any spam for over two years until Apple released the iPhone 5...then spammers came out in force.

Raven, if you're curious what I mean, I've included a couple screenshots for you... because you can't see that thread unless you're a regular member.

Or alternatively, you can do what XS (xtremesystems) does, have the staff be the one to validate each account. Just a thought.

Attached Files:

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IIRC, the Mugglenet forum had an interesting way of weeding out bots that might be useful for DLP. It required all new members to post a short message in a specific thread stating their intent to be a contributing member. Only when it had been reviewed and accepted would they gain posting access to the rest of the site.

I don't know if that's manageable given our numbers, but it seemed like a pretty effective system.

Just spitballin here.

20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's what the introduction forums was for. You see where that is, aye?

Not open for further replies.