1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Regrettable fanon

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 4, 2021.

1. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

It's transgressive, it's needed for his anagram to work and it's unique because he reframed the title from something bequeathed by muggle kings into a signifier of his Slytherin ancestry, highlighting the fact that his line goes back to one of the four families in wizarding Britain that could be considered royalty among wizards.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

It's just one more way he's trying to set himself apart. He is, and sees himself superior to everyone, including other dark wizards. Past present and future.

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because only families that existed before the SoS could have had noble titles, it helps establish him as a "pureblood".

That said, I think narcissism is more likely.

4. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

How so? The purebloods would surely know for a fact that there has never been a "Voldemort" family, much less a noble one. And canonically, Voldemort kind of has the "right" to call himself a Lord, if only a Lord of a manor through his muggle father. In that sense, calling himself a Lord would definitely prove Voldemort to not to be a pureblood.

5. Download

High Score:
    Nobel titles commonly transfer with land and/or position, not a name.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort describing himself as a lord is also just factually accurate, by the traditional meaning of the word. He is the lord of the Death Eaters.

7. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

But you know he's a harsh master because he demands way more than the traditional 40 days of military service a year.

8. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I don't think he is using the title to mean the same thing that it means when a muggle is bequeathed that title by royalty or whatever. Of course, it's the same word, but I think the actual intent behind it is clear.

9. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

It all pretty much goes down to Riddle's vanity rather than any other justification. Another way to think about the meaning of Lord is in terms of godhood - that is, Voldemort wanted to make himself the new god to humanity. Just as Christians call God "The LORD", the Death Eaters call him "The Dark Lord," and refrain from saying his actual name. Interesting parallel.

10. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Another way you could take it... Tom Riddle was halfblood, but muggle raised. And raised during the war. Lordships were more intwined with society then on the muggle side of the UK than they are now.

It's a stumble, from someone interested in the trappings of power, and those that seemed to have life made, from when he was a child

11. idisarmagorilla

idisarmagorilla Banned

Merlin studying in Hogwarts and being sorted in Slytherin. I already wrote in another thread about how the seeds of Merlin's myth go way back and Hogwarts would have to be a lot older than 1000y, but also how Merlin's druidical characteristics don't fit with having being educated at Hogwarts and Harry Potter magic in general (at least not with the modern magic we see).

I'll also add here, that the legends concerning Merlin span a thousand years. The tales of his life numerous. Even in HP, characters use "Merlin" as exclamation a few times. Not Gryffindor/Slytherin/Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff.

It feels like the legend is somewhat diminished by making Merlin fit in an already established magical system. So, that's my "regrettable fanon" even if pottermore says otherwise, for me it'll forever be fanon.

12. Download

High Score:
    There is so much crap in Pottermore that I think most people here don't consider it canon.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This seems very odd to me. Every single piece of folklore that is incorporated into HP is twisted, with none of it surviving in its real world form. Dragons in real life myth are fearsome and dangerous creatures; in HP, they are livestock kept in reserves and farmed for ingredients.

Similarly, it is a common theme of HP that Muggle history is simply wrong, especially regarding their perception of magic and the mythological. E.g. Wendolin the Weird and witch burnings.

So it seems odd to me to single out Arthurian legend as the one piece of folklore which has to be kept intact and accurate to its real world form rather than completely transformed and subverted.

14. idisarmagorilla

idisarmagorilla Banned

@Taure Haha, you got me there. I suppose I do need to explain myself.

I'm singling out the Arthurian legend because it's about an individual, a specific person. While dragons, elves, etc consist of folklore done differently in HP, it is folklore that is malleable and allows tinkering because it is about abstract ideas expressed in many stories in different ways.

However, the Arthurian legend concerns specific people and, having been shaped over the last thousand years (even with conflicting stories (and films, and tv-series)), some background and characteristics emerge. If you ask me who Merlin was, I'll have some answers. On dragons though? A winged creature that breathes fire. And even "real" elves JKR didn't really touch, but instead brought us house-elves.

Maybe I'm not making any sense, but for me it's like hearing that Odin, Thor, Loki and Athena all attended Hogwarts and were sorted in Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Slytherin and Ravenclaw respectively.

15. Golden Shadow

Golden Shadow Fourth Year

For me it'd more that merlin is treated as a mythological figure even by the wizards. That seems to imply he's a pre hogwarts figure from when the most reliable records are legends and folklore. Otherwise he'd just be a particularly interesting historical figure, like the founders. And if he predates the statue of secrecy, chances are his myth is similar among wizards and muggles, except perhaps with wizards having a more accurate account courtesy of seeing it as non fiction and knowing the difference between plausible and impossible magic, limiting the exaggeration.

16. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

He's not really treated as mythological though? Like he literally has a Chocolate frog card like other historical people such as Dumbledore or Paracelsus.

The only special thing about the way merlin is treated in canon is that people occasionally swear by saying something along the lines of 'Merlin's beard' or 'Merlin's pants.