1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Reign of Power by Fayr Warning - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Solcry

Solcry First Year

Yep, we know xD.

I personally love this fic - there aren't enough Political!Harry fanfics out there that are written well, so to come across a gem like this is fantastic. I personlly like this fic more than Fayr's other story (though the other one is fantastic as well) and dearly hope she'll update this sometime in the next few months.

2. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

umm dude. Your a little late to say it updated. We already said that. Just so you know.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

One of the best stories out...? Really? You think? THIS STORY?

I just reread the whole thing since I could only remember little bits of the story that could have been mixed up with the dozens of other stories I have read for all I know.

I gotta say that this was a very well written average story. The writting in the story is great he/she takes good care with it. That is the main good point to this story which makes it readable. The plot is... uninspired. It flows well and can keep me reading which given the current state of fanfiction out there at the moment is pretty good but doesn't make a amazing story.

There was not a single time when reading this story when I thought "Wow thats impressive" or "Thats clever" or "Wow havent read that before" it has no new plot devises.

The character development is ok but definatly nothing to blow your load over. It doesn't go wildly OOC but if thats the biggest compliment I can give it it's just average.

The way vampires and werewolfs are used are the best feature in this story. They have strenghs off set by weakness' that can not be easily over come. To often we see them either super strong (Second chance at life) or super weak (A hundred crap fangirl stories).

The politics are written well but also super cliched... heir of 3 founders and another 2 families, the only thing I give him credit for is not giving him Hufflepuff... he at least has some sense. We have yet to see him flex his political might at Hogwarts which he holds several seats to.

He has what could very well be absolute power over politics yet he chooses not to use it much. It was said that if one of the founders heirs called them up most of the people from that house would flock to their banner and we saw a small taste of this in the nominations of the council. He could have half th wizrads world at his beck and call with Ravenclaw and Griffindor and a large part of the rest as the boy who lived but we see none of that power used.

The ancient visions piss me off to. I hate the whole idea of destiny. Don't do it cause so crazy fucker said you must. Do it for revenge. Do it cuase you want to. Don't bend over and take it up the ass cuase it's you destiny.

I give it 3 stars for a well written average story. It gains points in places and loses them in other places leaving it at 3.

4. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Point being?

I guess everyone has different taste... So let's just leave it at that..

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

You just have to remember this was started over 2 years ago in March 05 so it was cliche nearly as bad, if any, when it was started. Its like Harry Potter and the Power of Time it started cliches.

6. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This was definitley one of the best stories when it started, however rereading it it has lost some of its originality. A lot of the things seem cliche now, thought thats not the authors fault since the story is so old. I think wrapping it up soon is a good idea, and then hopefully start a new story since the author definitley has a lot of talent. 4/5

7. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

4.5/5
    This is a great story, was one of the best and still is. I want one of you to show me a similar plot that is this old and consisting of this length that has been completed, anyone?
    One of my top 5.
    Hate to think about how long the final chapter’s going to take. Just hope its not another year.

8. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Good new chapter. Kind of an in between one, but nevertheless. I re-read the story recently and found it was losing some of its charm towards the end. The pace in the beginning was decent and fast-moving with enough going on that it didn't get dull, but with the introduction of the whole seer thing it slowed down considerably. Still one of the better stories out there, but Fayr Warning's going to have to do something really good with the last chapter for it not to end up like every other 'seer visions determine final battle' fic. 4.5/5

9. Fayr Warning

Fayr Warning First Year

I'm happy so many of you think so highly of my story.

And yes, I am not so blind as to not notice the incredible amount of cliches used but this was begun back in 2005 when these sort of cliches were just beginning.

Though my longest chapter is an impressive 17000 ( I know stories shorter than that) my first couple of chapters were more in the 1000 range and that is because originally this story was started when I got frustrated over how everyone was completely ruining certain "plot devices" (heirs, vampires, werewolves, etc.).

Truthfully complete anonymity gave me the courage to post and show how I could do it better. Years later and more than 150000 words I get a little bewildered thinking at where I ended up.
    Anyway A Second Chance was started after mine and she's done a wonderful job (one of my top five favorites).

The last chapter is going well, I've written about 3 pages worth. I expect anything from ten to fifteen more before its done. Despite my record I don't think I'll actually take another year.

Fayr Warning

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

"pulls the hammer back the hammer on the 44. Magnum"

We know it wont take a year right?

11. Fayr Warning

Fayr Warning First Year

I hope not? *nervous laugh*

Seriously it shouldn't.

12. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It has been updated for the final time, and what an ending. The battle was good, kinda vague, but still good nonetheless. This has got to be one of the best, if no the best endings to a fic that I have ever read.

One of the best Harry Potter fics has finally come to an end, and I am glad to have read it. Thanks for letting me help out with the story (betaing), and thanks for writing it.

5/5 at the very least.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  13. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Wow.

That was deffinently a candadate for the best story I've ever read -- not that that's saying much, since I've only been reading the 'major leagues' of Fan Fiction for about a year and a half.

I'm really impressed that the plot actually made sence; everything had a purpose, a meaning. Every single spell learned, battle fought, et cetera contributed to the Final Battle. Normally in Independent!Harry, it'll just be useless dribble, that he never uses. Filler.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Let me say AMAZING.

I love this fic. One of the best endings ever. We need a sequel to cover Harry's new childhood. One of the best fics ever has been finished.

Its so sad.

One Question. What happened to the other Rings? Morrigan, Slytherin, Black, and Gryffindor?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Yay to Fayr for finishing this. I wasn't as crazy about the ending as most, and left her a nice long concrit review. Rather than retype the same crud, here's what I said:

16. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Mad propz for finishing this amazing story.

Great plot, incredible writing style, decent ending, what more could we ask for? Well, besides some sort of mention of the werewolves and the mysterious forest they went to and a new chapter of Child of Mercy RIGHT NOW, of course. But, honestly, the werewolf thing was the most disappointing part of the story for me, which says a lot because it's just kind of an afterthought.

To tell you the truth, I thought that you had really rushed the last four or five chapters, speeding up the pace you had the story going at immeasurably. I love this story up until you did that, but then I kind of got lost. So, um, maybe make a note of that for Child of Mercy? I don't know, you're obviously the expert here.

Keep up the excellent work, and take a well-deserved break (for, like, a day) before updating. :D

P.S. Oh, and could you clear something up for me? How exactly did Rowsgath tie into the ending? I never really got that part of the story beyond his dreams and the painting. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  17. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Rowsgath tower was Hogwarts. The Founders attacked and destroyed it, but the King/Duke/Other of Rowsgath put a curse on them and the land.

I think a sequal would ruin its charm. It has this cool mystery going for it, and knowing what happens to the new baby Harry (Why is he a baby, by the way? Is it because the flesh was 'not quite willingly given?' That he used his Mother's bone? Did he just will it that way? Did Voldemort have to do the ritual twice to get his body back?) would take some of that away.

Does he keep his memories?

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's good to see it ending, though it was rather abrupt. Like nonjon said, the entire build-up was pointless, as it didn't have any effect upon anything. Harry never actually used his political power, nor was it ever revealed who he was. It seems to the reader as if you originally intended it to be much longer, abandoned it for a year or so, came back, then decided to finish it off with a few rushed chapters that swiftly wrap everything up in a rather unsatisfactory manner, just so you can say it's finished.

As for baby!Harry, if he still has his memories, he can just be given a growing potion and return to how he was before. Or even if that fails, then he could just be transfigured into his old form. This is all asuming his memories are intact of course.

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I agree with most of what nonjon said.

The last chapter was brilliant; the final battle astounding; the mandatory deus-ex machina well researched and foreshadowed; Ron's part touching; Harry's ultimate fate well suited (here I disagree with nonjon); and overall impression fantastic.

But once the dust settled, I realized that too many questions remained unanswered. It may be that the last few chapters dragged too much, but I never really understood what was the background of that curse at Hogwarts, and what was all that angst and seer crap about. Political plot and all the buildup of the middle chapters were discarded by one successful raid. Harry's relationship with vampires seem open and not entirely clear.

And then, there was the rushed feeling of the last chapter. For all the talk of epic final battle and destroyed Hogwarts, we never really saw any of that. We never found out what happened with all the characters introduced throughout the story. And as nonjon said, the final battle deserved the final chapter, instead of final several paragraphs.

I'll say right off you're a master of epic-like introspective writing. No one can beat the way you dangle clues and bits of information in front of reader noses, the way you obscure the truth behind cleverly ambiguous dialogues and meaningful introspective musings.

But the problem with this style is, in the end, you have to fess up and tell us what the hell was all that about. It feels that, in this story, you failed to do so, instead choosing to hide behind your usual vague style till the very end. That's why, after the initial thrill and elation by the finale, there came a small disappointment when I realized how many things were actually left unsaid.

Still, even with this small glitch in the end, this is probably one of the best HP fics ever written.

4.9, which basically amounts to 5.

Fantastic job!

20. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, an amazing end to a piece of fanfiction that I think I can safely say will be remembered as a classic. I loved the final ending with Harry being a baby, despite the amount of time between when you started and when you finished you managed to find original ideas and interweave it into the story quite well. Something I'm going to have to disagree with other reviewers about is the ending to chapter 28, it was calm and tranquil but unlike them I thought it was quite fitting, almost as if Harry had finally accepted his fate and was ready to do what need be.

Now that my initial thoughts are down some more detailed ones. What was the point of the different invitations from Harry to seek allies, I get that it kept them out of the war on Voldemort's side but you didn't really bring them in at all and I for one felt that it was a bit anticlimatic since I was thinking that you were going to weave them in with everything else. The same applies with the werewolves and the other vampire clans (not Amos's), though I think you made up for by having them all make it a "Wizard's War".

One thing that really disappointed me was the fact that you didn't have Harry reveal that he was heir to all the families in Wizemgamot (sp?), since the whole political part of the story was great except that I felt it didn't really add up to anything. Lastly is the curse of Hogwart's, I felt that it was a very interesting part of the story but quite tedious to read through as well, that is most likely just me though. Could you explain for me though what exactly happened at the end, from what I can guess is that Harry enacted some ritual which stripped them of their bodies and minds and just left their magic to destroy each other, but because Harry had reversed Voldemort's ritual somehow he was brought back to life as baby, like Voldemort was before his ritual in GoF. Please correct me if I am missing anything or that is not right. Also just as something I picked up that was kind of annoying was in the final part you mentioned Harry as "What-was-Harry" a bunch of times when you probably could have just done it once or twice and the reader would have caught on, that's just me nit picking though.

Now for some of the things that I thought made this fic so good. The Harry Amos relationship was very well done, and quite believable since neither was suddenly infallible to the other unlike some other fics where Harry accepts one person right off the bat to be his new father. No "golden trio", always a big plus and the fact that you did it without some cheesy plot device like them reporting to Dumbledore or something like that. I also thought that Moody and Dumbledore were very well done, one a realistic war veteran and one on the verge of madness, or maybe a little beyond that. And my favorite character in this fic, Diggory. I loved the fact that you made him petty and vengeful, unlike in most fics where he doesnt blame Harry one bit.

Besides the characters I thought that the politics of this were very well done, though admittedly now the super!heir thing is cliched to death but I won't take that into account since this fic is so old and it wasn't cliched then. The Nuintus (sp?) birds were a very cool touch since it was original, and to this day I haven't read another fic that had them. And finally the fact that you actually had the children flee and not fight, you managed not to fall into the trap that 99% of fics with the final battle at Hogwarts have, the kids fighting the Death Eaters despite the fact that they have so little experience.

Over all a very enjoyable use of time and a great read. Thank you for putting so much time into it and actually finishing it since I had thought for sure that it was going to be abandoned after it hadn't been updated in forever.

As a final note that is all my personally opinion, I strongly suggest no sequel since you left it at the perfect place and writing a sequel would ruin the mystery and magic surrounding Harry being taken away.