1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Reign of Power by Fayr Warning - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ChuckDaTruck, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I gonna guess that the reason for not bringing all of Morrigans allies together was because Harry knew that it was not really a Wizards war but basicly just Harry against Dumbledore against Voldemort. That was the war, who would reign supreme and survive. The rest was just distractions.

Edit Just realized this thread has been here longer than I have lol

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

It seems like the whole Morrigan thing just fizzled at the end. I hadn't really thought much of it until now, but it seems like nothing at all came of it. Would the story really have been all that different if Morrigan hadn't been in it?

It seems like the point of getting allies would be for them to have a sort of significance. Yet, there was none. Why, then, was there any point to having Morrigan in the story? Why go to the trouble of creating a complex character in Morrigan when there would be no use for him at the end?

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The ending did kinda fizzle out but even with that this is quite simply one of the best fics ever written in my opinion. The ending could have been done better but still its FINISHED this thread has been here longer than me and Ive been here nearly two years as a member and longer than that as a guest.

4. Eristaz

Eristaz Squib

I'm enjoying it so far. I got kind of turned off to it because it was a seventh year fic--skipping over sixth, when I first tried to read it. Now, with Deathly Hallows releaced, I just don't care anymore.

5. dragon_89

dragon_89 Squib

this is a great fic! i don't know why there are only 4 stars rated!!!! anyway to continue with the discussion, i think that he got all the allies because he didnt know how he will defeat them until the second last chapter?

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Lady, four stars here means about ten on any other website.

7. Gasperk

Gasperk First Year

Not too shabby. I'll agree, that the ending did putter out, but it did have an interesting twist.

And I did like that he didn't lean on Ron or Hermione. In fact, it was interesting to see Hermione retreat into herself in this case.

Nicely done.

8. holyhastes

holyhastes Raptured to Hell

the thought of gathering ally was for them a chance to survived the last battle and a chance for harry to get somewere he could live peacefully till his re'entering of magical society or something like that and yes his ally didnt do much if just surviving at the end with the last of the light side...

9. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

I would have given it 4 stars for the plot...but the writing style and the many tense, homophone, and grammatical mistakes... along the whole Morrigan thing fizzling at the end just knocked a half a star off it for me. 3.5/5

The writing style, jumping from scene to scene without transition, made the story feel choppy and kinda stitched together. It felt more like vignettes at times than a cohesive story (But that's just my opinion)

To the author.

They're Their, There... these words have different meanings. Learn them.

If you can substitute "They are" in the sentence and it makes sense... use They're. "They're going to the store" and "They're going to the store" is good. "There going to the store" is bad.

If it is of a form used to establish ownership..."The house belongs to them. Therefore, it's their house" use their.

If it's a description of location...use "there'. "The house is over there."

Likewise send and sent. Tense is important. I encountered numerous times in the story when the author used the wrong one.

Having Harry say "Just sent me a letter." when he meant to say "Just send me a letter" is a pretty egregious mistake.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

For all my professed love for this story, I realised I never actually wrote a comment in the thread. The latest "favourite fanfic ever" thread made me re-read it, so I thought I might as well. The short of it is: yes, it still is my favourite story of all time, even now, even after all these years.

It's full of clichés nowadays (half of which the story invented), from Heirs and Lords to custom wands, werewolf-clans and vampires, it's riddled with basic spelling mistakes, with half-cut sentences, with grammar problems; the plot is uneven, unpolished and raw.

And despite all that, if simple words can be beautiful, then this story is it to me. The mood, the writing style, the themes, they have that special something I only hope I can match in my stories; there are lines upon lines and countless scenes I would like to turn into pictures to hang on my wall, just so that I could admire them better.

I love the loneliness, the melancholy, the jadedness in the story and in Harry (and boy was the decision to have no pairing in this ever the right one!); I like the backstory, the interwoven themes of choices, consequences and destiny; and the depiction and musings about the war are one of the best things I've come across. I can't recall exactly anymore, but it might have been this story that pushed me to write; By That Last Candle's Light is a direct consequence of it, at least.

I'm not sure if the magic of this story works on anyone else except me -- if it doesn't, all you'll see today is a mediocre Indy!Harry -- but if it at all does, stick it out till the end. The last chapters are the best; aside from the great ending, it's got one of the best characterisations of Ron and Theo Nott I know.

Someone in here predicted the story could become a classic. If a classic is something like an oldtimer car that becomes rusty and dented and shows its age next to all the new, slick, shiny ones that came after, but also serves as their foundation, and always exudes a fascination you can't escape from, then for me, it has achieved that status.

11. Lord_Frost

Lord_Frost Squib

Really enjoyed this story, kept me entertained. I give it a 4/5.

12. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Why necro?

13. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

You need X amounts of posts to view the WBA, so why not?

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Because posting one line reviews without substance gets you banned.

15. plains

plains Squib

Found it to be a great story, with an interesting mood maintained throughout the story. Definitely something to read again at a later point.

16. Drakken

Drakken Squib

Good writing and good plot. Totally recommend it

17. madderfinn88

madderfinn88 Muggle

High Score:
    I would like to like this, but cannot get past the spelling mistakes. Is there a cleaner version?

18. LiquidThought

LiquidThought Squib

High Score:
    Huh. Never thought I could enjoy such a cliche-riddled story so much - though considering the publishing date, the author was probably as innovative as they come. I didn't even get properly irritated with all the spelling errors, that's how much I enjoyed Harry's scheming and triple identity (if I'm counting right) and magic and even his long monologues that win arguments simply by being so long. Something must have killed my critical thinking - or the fic is just that well-written ;) - because I really, really liked this.