1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Remedial Jedi Theology

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Inert, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Title: Remedial Jedi Theology
    Author: MarbleGlove
    Rating: Teen and Up
    Genre: General
    Chapters/Words: 7/51k
    Pairings: Anakin Skywalker/Padme Amidala (background)
    Summary: Let us consider the fact that the Jedi Order is a monastic religious organization based out of a temple, with five basic tenets of faith.

Ch 1: Death, yet the Force (meeting Anakin)
    Ch 2: Chaos, yet Harmony (teaching Anakin)
    Ch 3: Passion, yet Serenity (teaching a teenaged Anakin, good grief)
    Ch 4: Ignorance, yet Knowledge (Anakin is a Knight now, why is he still Obi-Wan’s problem?)
    Ch 5: Heresy, yet Orthodoxy (actual plot? Ie, Clones and Sith)
    Ch 6: Emotion, yet Peace (epilog)

Ch 7: extras / deleted scenes

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15118700/chapters/35054840

Rating : 4/5

General Star Wars fic that centers on Obi-Wan as he struggles to adapt to teaching Anakin. No real action to speak of, more an introspective look at an alternate way Obi-Wan could've been a Jedi Master. It loosely follows the canon plot with some small adjustments based on how Obi-Wan handles things differently.

The writing is good, the introspection kept me interested, and Obi-Wan is a wryly enjoyable narrator. Anakin comes across as a bit of a teenage idiot, but then he is one. Mostly I enjoy this fic because it's the first fic I've found on the archive that doesn't either A) bash the fuck outta the Jedi (attachment, 'Master', etc.), or B) turn everything into a fluff fest.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Is this a canon-compliant fic (ie. it eventually leads up to Windu and Sidious facing off while Anakin runs up as the shatterpoint of all shatterpoints) or are we looking at an AU?

I am going to say, that just reading the intro to the first chapter, it is compelling.

This quote,

is so fundamentally jedi order that it's beautiful. so fundamentally of the living force that it's perfect.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It is not canon-compliant, it is definitely an AU.

I will say this is certainly not a perfect story. I will say that it probably would have been an improvement for the story to be written exactly like this except canon-compliant.

Also the final chapters seem a rushed to me, though that makes sense since the author was focusing on the philosophy rather than the plot.

But I like it anyway. It hits most of the right notes for what I enjoy, and the writing quality is high.

If I was a bit more objective I’d give this a 4/5, but because I’m pretty happy about reading an Obi-Wan centric story that I like I’ll give it a 5/5.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

I love this story. This shit is hilarious

5. Inert

Inert Headmaster

The final chapter and a half are a bit rushed to me as well. Obi-wan's solution to the Clone Wars is also a bit too tongue-in-cheek for me, but I don't hate it.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

4/5

I enjoyed this and at 50k it's about the right length for what it is. The solution to the Clone Wars was too easy to be satisfying and made it feel as if Palpatine was not actually all that dangerous/skilled in terms of politics, intrigue, or combat. But apart from that I was along for the whole ride.

I can't pinpoint what keeps it from a higher rating but I do know that I can't go higher. I think it's worth the library though.

7. Jack-O

Jack-O Second Year

Oh hey, a well written Obi-Wan centric fic!

I liked it enough to read it all in one go (that doesn't happen too often these days), but I do agree that the ending falls flat compared to the rest of it. Sheev going down with barely any fight was honestly pretty disappointing.

All in all it's a pretty solid fic, so 4/5 from me.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

100% agreed. The way the Obi-Wan circumvented the Clone Wars and Darth Sidious was cute, and fit the tone of the fic, but it's still very weak. It's well-written enough and entertaining enough to where it's still a 4/5, though.

9. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    This way definitely well written, if a bit too fluffy for my tastes. A few characters, such as Anakin and Sidious come across as caricatures of themselves, and some of the solutions Obi Wan comes up with are extremely contrived, but I still enjoyed going through it. Not library material though - 2.5/5

10. Azialady

Azialady Squib

I can't disagree with you

11. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

*Sigh* If you're going to necro post, at least have something of substance to say about the thread's subject-matter, please. "I can't disagree with you" is a meaningless statement, since we would have gotten the same message if you had posted nothing at all.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Might have been a pretty worthless post in terms of content, but it did bring the story to my attention, so there's that.

It's pretty good. I really enjoyed the first four chapters, but as others have said, the conclusion is a bit crap. Still decently written, as the whole story is, but that doesn't cover for the weak concept (at least, it's weak if you're playing it at all straight; leaning into it as a crack fic might make it work). But the majority of it is a fun read.