1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Silens Cursor, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Title: Renegade Cause
    Author: Silens Cursor
    Rating: M
    Genre: Crime/drama/legal!fic (not sure if the last is a category, but it's definitely appropriate)
    DLP Genre: Independant Harry
    Pairing: ...I'm not saying, if only to appease the various unnamed individuals who crave for particular pairings
    Chapters: 48
    Words: 507,606
    Updated: February 26, 2012
    Published: December 13, 2008

Summary: OOTP year; Dumbledore arrives too late to stop the Ministry after the Dementor attacks. Harry manages to escape, but now blood is on his hands. Can he fend off both the Dark Lord and the Ministry without losing himself in the battle?
    Links: DLP WbA || Fanfiction.net || PatronusCharm

My major project in WbA right now. The premise is that Dumbledore cannot reach Fudge in time and thus the Ministry shows up at Privet Drive. Harry, panicking, flees for his life... and the consequences of that single action change everything. New enemies, shattered friendships, and twisted plots await him - and that's not even including the Dark Lord's most diabolic plan yet.

And no, I'm still not set on what ship (if any) I want for this fic. Currently, I'm leaning towards Harry/Tonks, but that can change, of course. In my opinion, if there's a fic in which a romantic element would not be appropriate, this would be it.

Right off the bat, I'm going to say that if you started reading this fic in WbA and was thrown off by the first chapter, I am pleased to say that the first chapter was replaced about a week ago with something MUCH better (thanks again, Vash, for that).

Secondly, this fic features a Harry that some have deemed an outright ass at times. This wasn't exactly intentional, only because I was trying to write Harry as a human character. He makes mistakes, assumptions, and occasionally fucks up big time. And he's not the only character to do this either. The point I'm labouring to make is that I wasn't trying to make Harry an unlikeable character, but one who is flawed and human. The unfortunate thing is that he sometimes comes off as unlikable, like the rest of those troublesome things called human beings.

I'm hoping this fic can win a spot in the Library, particularly given the good repsonse it has received in WbA (and I made sure that it at least had 100,000 words before I recced it). As always, please read, enjoy, review, and criticize - I'm still unsure about some of the characterization (particularly that of Dumbledore), and I'd love to here some serious opinions.

There is also a side-story:

Title: Speak Softly, Love
    Rating: T
    Genre: Tragedy/Romance
    Words: 23,731
    Published: September 21, 2011
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7400212/1/Speak-Softly-Love
    Summary: Antonin Dolohov hadn't always been a Death Eater. He once was a champion. He once had a family. He once had a wife. This is the story how he lost it all. Winner of the DLP July Politics Competition.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    I was just thinking about making my first recommendation in the "for review" section with your fic, and you just had to do it yourself...

Anyways, not much to say here, I suppose most have been following the development in the WbA section so far, and all the comments there say it all.

Brilliant story and that would be the 10th time I'm saying that, but the fic deserves the price and then some more.

To sum it up without going into too much words - that is the only wip fic with the main action happening at Hogwards that would get a 5/5 from me at the moment.

@Silens - did you rate your own fic with 4... o_O

3. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

There is something about your writing style that really hooks the attention and draws the reader in.

I don't know what it is, but frankly, its fucking awesome.

5/5

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Silens, this is one of those very few fics that are actually any good at the moment. Seeing as it's better than 90% of the fics in the library I don'tsee it not getting in. Also, glad you finaly accepted that this is going to be a Harry/Katie.

Oh btw, you suck a dick.

5. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Hmm, not bad. The chapters are a decent length and your spelling is excellent, 4/5.

6. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I've been following this the whole way in WbA, and I've been really impressed. The flow is good, the pacing is good for a character driven story, and the intrigue is different than what I usually see in HP fanfic. It's at least semi-orginal and has no problem holding my attention.

There are no serious flaws in the story, but some action (not contrived, though) would really amp things up a notch.

It's been nicely written so far, Silens, so keep it up. 5/5

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Thank you, guys. Moved to the library.

8. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

Now this is a very good fic. A whole bunch of factions that actually believe they are doing the right thing. And the take on the Potter accounts is refreshingly new. Full points for the story.

Score: 5/5

9. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

That is one really good fic,
    I was so surpriesed to see a decent political/action fic and the icing of the cake was/is the Joker-Peeves.

5/5

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

5/5

I had my reservations when I first read the first two chapters (which I've already discussed with you =P), but the story really picks up after that. Good characterisation, intrigue, writing style and pretty much everything that makes a good fic good. Keep it up.

11. Silens Cursor

Chapter 15 posted: "Complications"

Just so everyone is aware, Chapter 15 of this fic has been posted in DLP WbA, PatronusCharm, and fanfiction.net. Reviews and commentary are always appreciated.

And I feel quoting Amer would be the best way to end this post regarding this chapter:

12. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Well, I was gonna leave a review of the new chapter...but I think Amer summed it up perfectly in your quoted portion above, Silens. Frustration is definitely mounting.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Awesomesauce.

5/5

We shall talk on IRC.

14. Oz

15. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I had held off reading this story, because of the T rating (I typically only read M stories), but gave it a shot yesterday. I'm very glad I did.

Quite the excellent story you have here. Very intricate plotting, engaging in how it unfolds.

Tonks' willingness to kill for the need of a fresh body did seem rather random. With her personality, that seems to be a large leap for her character.

I like Harry's characterization, in that he's not some paragon of the Light, but kind of an asshole. My one complaint is that I didn't find there to be a large catalyst that inspired his newfound mindset.

I'll admit to confusion in the latest chapter. Okay, Sirius flings an orange spell at Harry, which he has no chance of dodging. Then...

"CRACK"

Followed by Weasley's arm rather exploding. Uh, what? Was the crack Charlie apparating into the way of "Black's" curse?

Anyway, great work. 5/5.

16. Silens Cursor

Thanks, VotN, for the commentary. Just to address a few things...

Tonks, at this point, is both frustrated and tired, and when Harry begins having second thoughts (mind you, what they're talking about is cold-blooded murder here), she has a WTF reaction. She's been spending all this time trying to get this ready, and now Harry's starting to have second thoughts. She's noticing something's wrong with Harry, and now she's trying to rope him back on track.

As for that scene, the appearance of Charlie's severed arm blocked that curse, bringing rise to the question of how it got there. Of course, that will be addressed in the next chapter. :)

In any case, I've gotta get to work, but as soon as I get a chance, I'm going to be working on the next chapter. Thanks for all the reviews!

17. Oz

I thought Tonks banished Charlie's arm into the path of the spell.

EDIT: That's what I get for having dozens of tabs open at once. D:

18. Silens Cursor

Chapter 16 Added - "Agony"

Horrendously quick update time, I know. Don't expect it all the time - after such a cliffhanger last chapter, I figured I should slow things down a bit with this update (on DLP WbA, fanfiction.net, and PatronusCharm). As always, read, review, and enjoy!

19. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Quite a nice update, and I certainly did not expect Harry's means of extraction, both method and the being that helped him.

With that said, I must be having a brain fart. Am I forgetting something, or is Snape currently the only confirmed Death Eater at Hogwarts?

20. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Dose Peeves know which side Snape is on? and if so or not has he counted him along with the 3 confirmed Death Eaters?

And what is peeves up to?.