1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Silens Cursor, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I enjoyed the action of the last chapter. I do wish you stuck with my impression at the end of chapter 18, where it appeared the Ravenclaw girls were dead for certain.

I was glad to see Harry show some concern for someone other than himself, with regards to Ron.

I eagerly await to see which direction this story turns in.

2. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I love his character. I've Been reading this since the beginning and it has to be one of my new favorite Harry Potter fanfics in a long. 5/5 So far the only thing I don't like is Peeves and his gay creepiness ooc.

3. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Chapter 20 Posted: "Broken"

Well, after my shenanigans in the WbA thread, I am happy to tell you all that I've got Chapter 20 finished and published on PatronusCharm, DLP WbA, and fanfiction.net. As always, read, review, and enjoy!

4. Scott

Will be sure to check it out when I get time. Good fast updates bro :awesome

5. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Well, so much for my disappointment with the Ravenclaw girls, as it was even worse than being killed off. Nice misdirection.

When Dumbledore spoke of Peeves being confined to Hogwarts, why didn't Harry speak up? I was pretty sure he knew that Peeves left there, to alert that Kemester had Harry at the Ministry. Unless I'm remembering it wrong.

Stoker? Uh...yeah, I'm lost. That's good though.

With each appearance, Sirius gets more confusing. Was his original goal to lead Harry away from the Light, to get him to commit to the Dark? I've no better guesses.

Well done. I'm envious of your update rate.

6. Silens Cursor

Actually, only Kemester and Snape knew about Peeves being out of Hogwarts - Harry doesn't have a clue.

The Stoker clue becomes extremely important, because it's Harry's first inkling of the true evil he's up against.

And as for Sirius... well, let me just say that there's a connection between Mr. Black and what Harry's now facing, and I'll leave you with that.

Next update's already in the works, but I'm not giving an ETA - I've got a heavy course load this term, and I want to make some headway there first.

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

When I hear Stoker I think Bram Stoker, author of Dracula. I know in Dresden Stoker actually got it right but I can't remember if he was made a wizard in Harry Potter or not.

It would fit the whole blood thing going on.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Just read through the first 5 chapters and I think that's enough to give a rating here. I'm going to go with a preliminary 3.5/5 and decide if that rounds up or down with later chapters.

The primary thing that jumps out at me is that damn, Harry is one hell of an asshole in this one. I know Silens mentioned that in his original post, so I know he's aware that some people are reading it that way (I guess some aren't?), but I still wanted to mention it. It's made worse by the fact that Harry isn't trying to be a dick -- in this story it seems that he actually is one, and that turns me off from giving a 5/5 for now.

As for the quality of the writing, well, it's nice. Pacing is good. Story picked a good place to split from canon and went in a logical direction. Politics so far are interesting. Fairly original storyline.

It isn't keeping me glued to my seat though. Maybe if Harry starts being likable and a solid plot emerges it will, but I might have stopped reading at chapter 5 were it not for the reviews here. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

EDIT: Yeah, sorry, I'm gonna round down. I read through Chapter 10 and I think I'm done. About the only person I can get behind is Kemester, and I think he's supposed to be the bad guy. Writing is good and whatnot, but I'm just not enjoying the read. I guess this isn't my type of story, no offense.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  9. Scott

I personally love the asshole Harry, who's with me?

10. Subcomandante_Taco

Subcomandante_Taco Seventh Year

Just read up to chapter 20. It's a very enjoyable read so far and there were a few parts that had me on the edge of my seat. Actions scenes, plot, characterization, is great.

My only problem with the story is that Harry's so unpleasant. I mean, I'm cheering for him to win, and I do care about what happens to him within the story, but he's just not likable as a person.

With that said, it's a 4.5 for me. Keep up the good work man, looking forward to the next chapter.

11. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Ok... I've put off reading this for a year, I kept starting it and saying "Harry is fucking annoying," and then closing out the window.

Yesterday I finally got tired of having nothing to read and decided, "Eh, What the hell"

I'm actually rather glad I didn't read it from early on, I think if I hadn't waited until it got to chapter 19 I'd be a wreck waiting for the climax.

While Harry IS an asshole, he's dealing with a lot of shit. I've been in a position where I didn't know who to trust, and didn't have time to think because every second the walls were closing in. I can tell you right now... in a situation like that, peoples feelings cease to be of any importance. The only thing that matters is getting out intact, rules be damned. So I understand the way he's acting, and I sympathize.

So far Harry hasn't had a moment to really slow down, the story has been incredibly fast-paced, and chapter 19 really does feel like the climax, with chapter 20 as the epilogue leading into the sequel.

Up until now, its been "Rush, Rush, Rush, Rush, Plan, Fight, Rush Rush, Plan, Fight, Plan, Rush, Rush, Plan, Fight" It brings a level of intensity that I loved. But with chapter 20 feeling like a pause, from this point I'd really like to see a little more character interaction within Hogwarts. Harry's threats within the castle (H.A.I.T) are 'mostly' gone, which gives him time to start his training and perhaps slow down a little.

His interactions at this point have been fairly limited, seriously Harry only talks to Tonks, Sirius, Dumbledore, and Ron on a regular basis. I'd like to see him branch out a little to both the students and teachers at Hogwarts.

Honestly, fantastic story.

I'm eagerly awaiting the rest.

EDIT: Oh, and has some of the best Harry/Tonks interaction around.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  12. Silens Cursor

Chaper 21, "Possibilities", Posted

Yeah, thanks for all the reviews everyone - much appreciated. Sorry you couldn't get into it, ChedderTrek - I've learned that my writing isn't for everyone.

But otherwise, I have the next chapter of Renegade Cause written and posted on PatronusCharm, fanfiction.net, and DLP WbA. As always, read, review, and enjoy!

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

It is looking like I was right about what Stoker is a reference to, vampires indeed.

14. Silens Cursor

15. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

If you can guess this, I'll eat my shoes. It's really just.. impossible to flat guess.

16. Silens Cursor

Chapter 22, "Choices" Posted!

And because I'm crazy this way, I've got another massive update for Renegade Cause, available for your viewing pleasure in DLP WBA, fanfiction.net, and PatronusCharm. As always, read, review, and enjoy!

17. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So I have read all available chapters and I am a bit torn about this story. On one hand, the writing style is good, it does have a very interesting plot, some nice characters. I happen to love your way of writing Snape, partly Dumbledore (at least how the other characters see him) and your Peeves. I had never even imagined a badass, Peeves who has the personality of the Joker, that was awesome.

On the other hand, and many people have already mentioned and explained this, but I still can't really get over this: Harry Potter, our protagonist, is a gigantic asshole. In fact, you could replace the name Harry Potter with Anakin Skywalker from the Prequels and it wouldn't disturb the story one bit, personality and behavior vise, they are the same character.

I realized why you are writing it that way, but that doesn't mean I have to be fond of it. It is just hard to care about battle scenes and suspense if you are hoping that someone will finish off Harry.

But overall it is a good story and I have enjoyed reading it and I will definitely continue so. Great job.

3/5

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  18. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I think I might be the only one who likes Renegade Cause! Harry. He reminds me of the integral character of DLP. :awesome

19. justbrowsing

justbrowsing Seventh Year

Honestly, I like the way Harry is. It definitely fits the story and how someone like that would react. You know your the only one that could defeat Voldemort and all the while your corrupt government is trying its best to arrest you for something you didn't intend on happening.

The ministry is the ones who made the mistake and broke the law in the first place trying to take your wand, the consequences of that action are on them. I would be an asshole too. Better to be a live douchebag than a dead pansy.

20. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

The greatest irony of people bitching about Harry being an asshole is that these are the same people who love the Thank God You Raped me thread and more Dark!Harry stories than I can count.