1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing a laptop power jack

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Nov 9, 2013.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So yeah, long story short, my 6 year old (so no warranty, obviously) ASUS G71Gx laptop's power jack finally shorted or some shit, and it fried my adapter. I got a new adapter and a new fan (it was time), and put it in, but when I plugged the adapter into the laptop, smoke happened. Lots of smoke.

My last idea is to, duh, replace the power jack. I'm gonna order the replacement online for like $5, but I'm not sure how difficult of a solder job it is, and whether it would be easier/safer to just take it to a PC repair place.

My question is this: has anyone replaced a power jack before, and is the soldering super tiny and challenging, or should i just take the laptop, replacement jack, and $50 to some laptop repair store?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Usually it's only like 2 contacts. They're small and cramped though, and if you're not confident you can do it yourself just bring it to a shop.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heh. I have this exact problem myself, minus the smoke. There's been lots of wire wigging in recent weeks to try to get contact and get the laptop to charge -- about 4 days ago I managed to find a good position and I haven't moved the laptop since, lol.

I really should get it fixed so I can move it around again, but I'm lazy as hell and it's going to cost $100 just to get them to replace the power jack.

4. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

I went and replaced my power jack just 2 days ago, cost about $12 with shipping. If you have a soldering iron I'd say try that to save a bit otherwise its really simple to just plug it in and set it.

Edit: Obviously not every laptop is the same... and I just watched a quick video of your laptop (way more annoying than mine since my jack is like a plug an play model ie. easily replaced) if you're not very sure of your skills I'd just take it to a shop.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013