1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rift

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kthr, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

level 9 atm, Server: Belmont | Faction: Defiant GOGOGO

EDIT: level 11 atm, I keep dying, the spawn is crazy, need a healer (Havoc suxx)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Well, day 1 is over and I have reached 34. I already was level 30 from the last beta however. I love my stormcaller/chloro w/ summoner pet. However, unlike most of DLP, I'm on Wolfbane since I already had started a character on it in a previous beta, although it won't matter much seeing as everyone's beta characters will be erased after the beta.

4. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Now go and rush to lvl 19 in belmont? I got to lvl my main too, but I'm too lazy to do it. Btw Defiants City> Guardian

5. Midknight

So far I like the graphics, and the cleric combo I made does pretty well. The game suffers from the fantasy spelling of names/habit of overusing names though. They throw a buncha shit together so the name looks foreign, and it winds up unpronouncable instead. Tons of newbie killquests, but against actually threatening looking enemies instead of rats and spiders, so that's a plus.

To optimize your character though you're gonna need a fucking spreadsheet, because good god there's too many choices. The skill trees are very overwhelming, I've respecced like 10 times now in the last hour alone. The graphics shouldn't be so intensive on my pc, but I'm only getting 25-30fps for some reason, yet I can alt-tab in and out of that bitch like water, so I'm not quite sure what the hell is going on there, usually if fps is that low, alt-tabbing in and out takes a little bit.

6. Gizmore

I have 35-40 FPS and my comp is pretty kick-ass (2x 480)

7. Midknight

Turned FSAA off and it picked up quite a bit. Running 35-50 now that I'm out of the future, with all it's crazy ass lighting and particle effects. I need to know how to make seperate action bars, cant figure it out.

So far I like the game a lot, it's very polished, and I enjoy running through stuff with my cleric, and I really like the invasions and rift openings. What I don't like is a lot of the interface. The minimap's too big, the quest tracker on the right side takes up way too much space, as does the health bars. Once a rift opens and you join a public group to take it down, I feel like you're looking through a small window in the center of the screen, because I can't see shit captain.

If I had the money, I'd buy it when it came out, and could see myself spending several months with this game, provided the end game content is there. I'm lvl 11, with a healthy amount of alt-tab idling going on, and trying to fuck around with the skills. I'm feeling more comfortable with the skill trees, but I still think the amount is drastically overkill, and is still extremely overwhelming.

8. Midknight

Found the various ways to tweak the stupid huge interface, and I'm much more happy with it.

I quickly got bored of the normal rift hoping and long distance running, the server had some sort of invasion super event that spit out probably close to 300 monsters at least, and a quickly spreading shitstorm of evil. Expanded from the beach to the mountains, and almost all the way up to the newbie group. Nasty as hell. I enjoyed all of it, except for the raid boss and his lieutenants, who were obscenely overpowered with fast regenerating 700K hitpoints, and cheap ass one shot kill moves being spamming. Finally took him down with something like 50 people beating on him at once. A lvl 20 raid boss, in a lvl 8-10 area isn't fun Trion, fix it =P.

I don't understand how you rip open rifts before they get large. I've found several spots with glowing orbs at chest height, or glowing circles on the ground, or right in the air at face height, and I can't see to rip them open?

9. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

You're suppose to have ~50 people for the super invasion bosses. It doesn't get any easier later on, more so for Mages whose armor starts lagging behind. On the other hand, the Mages can get some ridiculous AOE spells to help with all of the invasion's minions so that everyone else can take down the bosses, as a Stormcaller/Chloro (with a elemental stone pet) I can use two spells that do 1k over 6 seconds and only one of them needs to be channeled so both can go off at the same time. I haven't played cleric so I can't tell you how to do the super invasion boss but as a Mage I stay FAR back, like about 28 meters back, so just inside my spell range and then don't get any closer because 5 or so hits from the super invasion bosses is all that is needed to kill me. On the other hand, I put out single target damage pretty damn hard, ~300 every second so I usually make gold or silver at the very least.

10. Midknight

Yeah but that shit took like 30 minutes, after every other step was done. That's as far away from fun as I can think of.

I got some hefty armor reduction for being such a low level, something like 25%+ without many points up the soul tree. I've got like 5 decently strong medium range instants that can drop most mobs up to 3 levels higher then me either before they get there, or within a few swipes of my staff, and some really high damage insta-cast melee range spells, so I have to get closer then you do.

The pet you mentioned. This game is batshit on pets. I spent more time this morning trying to click on the damned monster and not being able to because of the wall of goddamned dogs in the way. I eventually found TAB works better, but damn, that's just insane that everyone I see almost has an effing pet.

Someone's going to have to explain to me how the hell that raid/rift meter thing works. I see it filling up with a 1, 2, etc, and I know to click the loot bag to get stuff from it when it's hghlighted, but it makes zero sense to me.

Something I was thinking about earlier that really disappointed me, that I didn't think about until I was telling my son about this game awhile ago. The opening area is a goddamned masterpiece. I've never seen an MMORPG open like that, with the smooth transitioning from camp to camp, the giant ass golems, the machines, the ending at the portal.

I was in slack jawed, mouth wide open awe. It was everything I'd wanted in a game like that. Graphically awesome, all the skills seemed beefy that I had at the time, I was a healer that could take being sneezed on without dying.

Then I went into the past and everything turned into a fucking kill 10 of these tasks.

Seriously let down.

Seriously.

11. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

To anyone who still wants in: Game is on open-beta phase for the next week. Just join register at the website, download and enjoy.

12. Midknight

How many people are actually getting it? I'm seriously debating preordering if a lot of folks are going to play it. I won't be able to play much, only on weekends or rainy days, but I might still try.

13. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Well, I've already got it, so at least one. I'm planning on doing the same thing as you, mostly play on the weekends.

14. Midknight

That cleric shaman build I had I took into the warfront and was decimating ppl left and right. Too chaotic to follow what was going on though. I'm really leaning towards this or Star Wars. I need some sort of game to vege out in badly, just not committing until I know there's going to be 10+ DLP peeps in there.

15. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just downloaded the beta, trying it out now.

16. Gizmore

I'm getting it, will play on EU server though. :\

17. Midknight

Impressions now?

Rift took over 50 million to develop I was reading the other day, that's pretty impressive, most don't get anywhere near that! Another good article I was reading with some funny stats

Rift 28 days later: http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158889p1.html

I'm installing the client again now, hoping to get in on the free weekend keys they're giving out on facebook.

18. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

19. Midknight

20. Midknight