1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Rogue's Bet by Hufflepunk - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by T3t, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dargon12

dargon12 First Year

Better than 95% of the Harry/Daphne fics out there so for that 4.5/5

2. poursuiveur

poursuiveur Squib

Good character development and humour. It doesn't really feel like a harry potter story but overall a very enjoyable read. 4/5

3. lmnop

lmnop Muggle

High Score:
    I liked it.
    Harry is just barely Harry and there's no real conflict - no war, no voldemort and it's mainly about Teenagers being Teenagers at Hogwarts. But the story is well written and if you take it for what it is - which is basically a guilty pleasure - it's quite good.
    I enjoyed it and I'll continue to follow it, but it's nothing groundbreaking or amazing.
    3/5

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I always end up enjoying this kind of story. Yes, nothing ground-breaking, but it's entertaining me with some of the plot. I'd suggest taking a look if you want like stories about Harry and "his bros".

3.5/5

5. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

I was much too disappointed to reach the end for the number of things that annoyed me.

I mean, why did the author take Quidditch and remove everything that made it feel magical? Was it only so that Hermione could be interested in the thing? Fuck that, if you want to write about wizarding handball, at least call that wizarding handball, not Quidditch.
    Well, at least I've discovered a new pet peeve.

Also, "Pavrati". And one-liner description for every character as soon as they appear. And angst.

All in all, it has too many faults to put in the library, I think, but it's still fun to read. It's also the best Harry/Ginny romance I've read in a while (too bad it isn't meant to be Harry/Ginny...).

3/5 for now, I might consider giving another point if the author avoids the "inevitable break-up when Hermione/Daphne learns it was only for a bet" trope, but I don't have much hope for that.

6. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

For me, once I put this story down, I never gave it a second thought or felt the inclination to pick it up again.

So while it is a decent story, I wouldn't classify it as particularly good. I chalk it up to the characterizations. So much of it was changed from what I loved about canon HP that it ceased to become anything recognizable - a case of HP in name only.

Furthermore, besides "fuck bitches", there didn't seem to be an overarching plot to draw me in. The Riddle mystery was interesting, but not explored in enough words to keep me reading.

So what's left to this really? Worldbuilding? It really only changes trivial things (turning Quidditch into flying rugby, how boring can you get) about the wizarding world and never explores those things in enough depth. Magic is secondary to the atmosphere the author is setting, so the sense of "awe" is completely absent.

It's a decent timesink, but not really library worthy.

3/5.

7. KLI2

KLI2 Squib

High Score:
    This is a nice read if your looking for something a little less serious and despite how some characters are quite OOC if you treat it as if it was a little AU the characterisation is good.
    Overall it is entertaining and worth reading if you aren't looking for something seriously intense.
    3/5

8. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Eh. It's average. That's all there is to it, really.

It does have genuine moments of inspired comedy. It does make me laugh at some points (cringe at others). It's pretty cool as it's obviously what it's presented as: a goofy comedy.

But... there's nothing more than that. It's technically sound in some regards, but there's no wow factor that'll make me want to go back for more.

I'll probably forget all about this in a few days, but it's overall an average story.

Final verdict: 3/5. Occasionally entertaining, but too easily forgettable.

9. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

Very blatant Americanisms, but honestly, I liked it anyway. It was a fun read and I actually loved how they were all unapologetically assholes. Made for a fun read.

Don't really care for Harry/Daphne in this, but this is one of the few fics where I've actually given a shit about Ron/Hermione. Harry blaming himself for the Justin encounter and talking about how he deserved it was stupid.

Fic is still funny and if I just accepted the Americanisms, I began to like the fic quite a bit.

4/5 for me, might turn into a 4.5 or 3 depending on where the author goes with it.

10. odonata201

odonata201 Squib

I took a look at this based on some of the early recommendations. I found it to be relatively pedestrian effort that was neither entertaining nor interesting. I found my interest flagged early on and only plowed through to the end because I had nothing better to do. Errors in punctuation and spelling did not help. My verdict -- completely forgettable.

11. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

I thought what the author did with quidditch was interesting and unique, and probably ended up making more sense logically than canon quidditch. (I still prefer canon quidditch, I just thought this was interesting). The story’s biggest flaw, in my opinion, is the Harry/Daphne pairing. Daphne just isn’t interesting in this story. She has no real personality. Harry/Ginny seems like it would make much more sense, given how much more Ginny’s character is developed.
    2/5

12. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Rogue's Bet has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 78,237
    Updated: 2019-07-29 02:11:49 UTC
    Published: 2016-11-20 05:48:36 UTC
    Previously updated: over 2 years ago
    New Summary:
    AU In Seventh year, Harry and Ron make a stupid bet about a couple girls. Fairly light-hearted, fairly explicit, fairly slow paced coming of age story. No bashing, pairings TBD.

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

13. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    Just fyi, the latest update Is just the author telling us this one is dead.