1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rome 2 TW

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Invictus, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

I am not 100% certain, but I think buildings for recruitment have a range, and auxiliary camp might provide specific troops based on location. Right click on it, check details.

2. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Nope, just checked my rank II Auxil, no ranged units and the upgrade to rank III is just cav/auxil infantry.

The wiki's useless as it doesn't tell me anything too, so, kinda stumped unless I need rank IV or something but it seems kinda retarded to have these 4 military buildings and then not be able to build them, even when you've conquered new territory. Guess I'm stuck with Fields of Ares.

3. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

Ok, done a quick check on the troops. The Auxiliary forces are tied to specific regions where they can be recruited, so you will have to try and get one built in an area that provides archers. (Click on the troops you are interested in, it will tell you which regions you can recruit them from.)

Also, recruitment seems to be working on province level, so your buildings in the province would determine what you can recruit.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

I still think archers are linked to the Training Ground > Ranged tech path as that also comes with an upgrade for 15% ranged damage on land units, but maybe that's just too much common sense for CA to handle.

Not sure where I'd go that would allow me to build a Training Ground, Africa's out and that's where I'm currently invading so, fuck it, guess we're venturing into mainland Europe and seeing what the Germanic people are hiding from me.

5. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

No, you need auxiliary camp to build troops. The training ground provides bonuses, but if you check the encyclopedia in the game, those do not offer new troops.

Edit: Build an auxiliary camp in Alexandria, or one of the other settlements in that province, that should permit you to recruit Auxiliary Egyptian Archers there. Your general will have to be in that province to recruit the troops.

6. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

I checked the wiki in the game and it doesn't make much sense to me that I need an auxillary camp at rank IV to make archers, that's a rather odd choice level wise but eh, this is Rome, the guys that can get practically any unit in the game in their own manner.

Sigh, I wish they made that easier to find, or I bothered to look in the units section a little more closely. Oh well, time to find a way to counter the squalor in the region before I go about going for this.

Edit; Thanks for the help either way.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

Auxiliary camp II will grant you Egyptian archers, level 4 is only needed for the Cretan archers, and those can only be recruited in Crete/Athens/Sparta. So build a Field of Mars in Egypt, upgrade it to Auxiliary camp, and recruit troops there.

8. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah.. I also have an Auxiliary Camp 2 or 3 in Cyrene and can recruit Egyptian archers there it also allows you to recruit elephants so it really offers some nice options. Like Gwyll said many of the troops are region depended which is a nice feature in my eyes.

9. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

It's a nice feature, I just kind of wish that was explained in the manual or something, though the term Auxillary can be fairly widely interpreted and it would make sense given Rome's ability to basically see someone use something, kill/disable it and effectively copy it for themselves.

Slow day for me mentally I guess, time to push through Africa and into Egypt in that case once I've dealt with some of the smaller Germanic tribes causing trouble for my client states up north.

10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  11. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Nope, hasn't fixed the AI - it was mostly tech based fixes for people with high end rigs who were getting shittier gameplay than those of us on modest/trash builds. My biggest gripe right now would be turn time - I can live with it being jumpy when skipping through like 80~ factions taking their turn, but it's taking nearly 3 minutes now as I approach turn 100.

Still, step by step I guess. It's sad to see so many people complain about tech issues on a TW game when they've all had their problems at launch - the same thing happens for Elder Scrolls and yet I don't think I've ever seen Bethesda get it in the throat. Different games, different bugs, I honestly think most of the outcry has been over tech issues rather than the game itself.

Just a few fixes that mods have already covered include turns taking 3 - 6 months, not an entire year to avoid all your agents/generals dying without feeling like they accomplished anything, morale boosts so units don't route the instant they enter combat and a few others.

Also, as a side note - Has anyone managed to fight a night battle yet? Are they only on the battles outside the campaign or something? I literally get to choose between dry, rain or fog - Never get night time. Do I need to select Realistic battles or something in the options?

Disclaimer; Never touched an Elder Scrolls game but my brother plays them religiously behind me.

12. Torric

Torric Third Year

The AI in this game is insane. As in, the worst ways possible. I'm 16 turns in and I own 2 provinces as Sparta already, due in no small part in the retarded AI in every scenario. As of right now, I've fought two major battles, one on my second turn when I took Athens and another on that stupid little island that's part of the Athens and Sparta province.

Literally every battle afterwards has been this retarded stompfest due to the AI being bad. I don't understand I practically took all of Epirus' territories without a fight because their generals are sailing around like retards while I'm tromping over land, and when I was done with Epirus, I declare war on Macedon only to have him immediately move his full stack army out of Pella and run East. My 5 star general with his silver vet troops just walked straight in and breezed through the mobs they send at me.

I stopped playing out of sheer disbelief. Its like, every faction I declare war on runs away on the global map and just leaves all their cities defenceless. Even in the cases where they stand and fight, the tactics the AI uses are almost as bad. In one case when I was fighting the enemy, I bum rushed his reinforcements who rather than fighting me, spent the entire time trying to link up with their main army while I was cutting them to ribbons.

I'm seriously disappointed right now. The fact that fps is an issue along with the ridiculous 2 minute wait times in between turns, and I'm thinking of just putting the game back into the box and pretend it was never there.

13. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

My advice to you then is to play Epirus. I've started two games as them. Once on hard then on normal. On hard, I was a little too passive. I focused on building up my starting cities instead of my armies, and Athens and that one region nation directly north of Epirus DOWd me. I couldn't actually move my armies out of my cities. For 15 turns, without fail, I was constantly attacked by the Spartans, Athenians and that other Greek/Barbarian State. Even though I was winning, I wasn't able to actually move out, since it would leave a city exposed.

In my restart, I dropped the difficulty, and it actually got worse. The second turn 2 starts, not only do Athens and that Greek State attack me, but so do Macedon, Rome and fucking Syracuse. I'm literally at war with everyone I know that exists. It's absolutely insane, but still incredibly fun. Epirus is the first faction I've played so far which starts in such a poor position, and fighting a constant defensive war while trying to expand is surprisingly fun.

14. Erandil

Torric try one of the more difficult factions like Parthia or Pontus.
    But yeah.. that problem with the reinforcements trying to link up with its main group is annoying especially because it makes normally different positions easy to defend (like being attacked from 2 sides).

So I nearing the end of my Rome campaign and like I said earlier- the AI needs some aggressiveness and build its own empires. I can field 6-9 full stack armies while nearly every other country can only field 3 which makes it more than impossible for them to win... I conquered the whole of France in 3 turns(to be fair.. I already controlled Germany, Italy and Egypt at that point and had prepared the invasion for some time).

And the civil war event needs some warning... That shit nearly killed me and I was lucky. I had a full stack in Rome which got attacked in the second turn (2k of my men killed 3k high end romans.. which still left 7k alive) and a lot of money which enabled me to recruit enough mercenaries to hold onto the provinces south and north of Italy long enough for my troops from Germany and Libya to reach Italy and crush the Senate...
    Without the money or the troops in Rome I would have been devastated because it was pretty much the only location where I could recruit troops.

15. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

Night battle is an attribute you can get as you level up. Becomes available after level 3/4. Says something to do with cunning anyways.

You have to manually pick the option to get it, so it's easily passed over.

16. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

Erandil, were you keeping an eye on the faction standings? (The power distribution?)

17. Erandil

Yeah it was something like 27% Julia (me), 25% Junia, 23% Corn, 24% Others +/- 1-2 points. I believe your empire level(the one where you unlock additional generals etc.) is more important because it happened 1-2 turns after reaching the 3rd.

18. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

Possible, but it might require a somewhat balanced power also. Or the power distribution might influence the size of the opposing forces. Not easy to test it without running through several campaigns, I think.

19. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

TIL Navies are completely pointless and just a drain on resources.

I literally had an Admiral with a fresh fleet of ships, mixture of legionaries, levies and some fire pots for good measure and they can't even take out a transporting army half their size because apparently boarding a fucking transport is impossible with your navy.

What on earth is the point of that when a ramming transport ship does more damage than the ships you've specifically designed to board and assault enemy ships, only they're half the size of a transport so your guys just stand there and get slaughtered.

Maybe it's to accurately reflect how god awful the Roman Navy was?

Bleh, all I know is now I shan't be bothering with a Navy ever again as it's far easier to just use army on army on the sea and fuck everything up that way than spending 8k on a Navy that can't even win a 2:1 battle because it can't board, or actually do anything.

Odds are potentially high I did something wrong, but when I see Transports twice the size of the Legionaries on ships designed to board, then why the hell try. Just feels like a Navy exists these days to lower piracy rates in your waters and nothing else, which is also pointless as they drain more in upkeep than they protect in trade routes short of a trade route having been going for over a century.

Edit; Am I correct in assuming the red skulls randomly appearing over cities and armies are related to starvation? Seems to fit given my food shortage for one turn and then skulls everywhere.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  20. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Playing Macedonia, I've focused exclusively on expanding my empire on land, so no naval battles in the campaign yet. But I tried a couple custom naval battles, and... wow, I am terrible at them. I'm not even really sure what I'm doing half the time. I keep getting absolutely slaughtered. I need to read up on Hellenistic naval warfare before trying this again, I think.