1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rosswrock stuff

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, Jan 8, 2006.

1. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

I like to think I earned at least a little of the success I reaped as a fanfic writer. I admit a lot of it was due to luck and timing. But for the first year or so, I was putting out consistent work, lengthy chapters, novel (at least at the time) ideas, and all threaded together with decent grammar and spelling. I also contribute the interaction I had with my readers to my success, as I don't know a lot of authors who took the time to post art, host chats, respond to personal reviews, etc. I was lucky enough to post in what I consider the "Golden Time" of HP fanfic, although I didn't know it then.

We're all entitled to our own opinion, but how was I ever arrogant? I might have been swimming in my success for awhile true, but I was never rude or nasty except to one single individual who made my life hell. Craig, or Kraeg, or whatever name he changed to, was the only person I downright dismissed.

How I loved that little joke I played. I think it was because at the time there was so much Slash fanfic being published, and I wanted to poke the bear. Plus, once I started to write, I realized how much I enjoyed writing cliffhangers. That scene with Neville was a sure-fire way to ensure everyone would click on the next chapter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2022
  2. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

I agree. I'm still dumbfounded years later that my little story is as well-known as it is. It is the first, and only thing to date, that I've ever written of substance. I was always a mediocre English student. But my one saving grace is that I read a lot. I have a voracious appetite for literature. So I think what made my story so successful, is that I could take some ideas and tropes from other stories I had read, and fit them into a narrative that in my opinion was still within canon. It was very important to me to write HPPoT as if it could be a continuation of OoTP. Far too many fics I had read were too different from the groundwork JKR had laid down. And after all, isn't her work why we became such big fans in the first place? I'll say this...for someone who reads as much as I do, who watches as many movies and TV shows as I do....HP is the only fandom I've ever dipped my toe into. I straight-up hated HP stories that veered too far from JKR's source material. How many stories are out there that bring ideas and concepts into it, which have no place in the HP fandom (i.e. demon-lords, faerie magic, etc.) I wanted to write a realistic book 5, 6, and 7 that would seem as one version of a natural progression for the story. I think because of my extensive exposure to books/TV/movies (I was a film major in college) I was able to craft a plot that not only included successful ideas and elements (both original and others I'd seen used before), and write them in unique, unexpected ways. Anyone ever see a movie or read a book, and know how it ends halfway through? Yeah, me too. I purposely wanted to write a story that had a clear destination, but took the reader on an unfamiliar path.

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It's worth mentioning that these opinions are from 2006, so you're more or less talking with ghosts.

4. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

hehe, yeah, I know. But I'm a ghost myself, am I not? Haven't had anything to do with HP fanfic since over 10 years ago. But I plan to unearth myself, and want to get started somewhere. On the odd chance someone's still out there that cares, let it be known that I am back and ready to stand testament to be abandoned child, HPPoT.

5. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yeah the opinions of DLP are a bit more refined and constructive.

We’ll still call a shit sandwich a shit sandwich, but probably recommend a new type of bread to use at the same time.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, that's a blast from the past!

I haven't read HPFF seriously in almost a decade now I think, but I do remember your name. And your fic PoT sounds familiar. So there's that I guess?

Good luck with your writing, if you go back to it.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well then, welcome back to the fandom. Came in to see who necro'd this thread and hey, it's the mf author.

When I think about early fics I read that were decent yours (Pot) comes to mind along with NoFP. Those plus AtE are the main entries into fic I remember from college as being, well, good enough to remember the names of even if I never liked AtE.

In hindsight I'm not sure any of those are actually fantastic - I might reread yours if you're going to start updating again - but credit where credit's due. I think you were the trope codifier for a few things like the... uh, was your Harry training using a time-turner in a trunk large enough to live in? I think that was you. Even if you didn't do that first first, I think your fic was the first popular / well-known one to make use of it. Loads followed and it became cliche.

Other things I remember about your fic (I think) were Neville visiting Harry's hidden 13th floor of a muggle building and wearing a necklace, or something?

Anyway cheers.

Edit: I thought the trunk shenanigans were OP and removed tension from the story, felt unrealistic, should be nerfed, etc. Then fucking Fantastic Beasts movie comes along with Newt's briefcase and when I saw it in theaters thinking 'damnit I bet that Power of Time guy is smug af rn.'

8. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

I only used the trunk idea as an extension of what Mad-Eye Moody had in book 4. I've never actually seen the Fantastic Beast movies, so not so smug, no. I'll have to go back and watch them.

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It's nice to see the occasional reminder of how cringe I was in 2006.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

As if you're not now :p

11. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

True enough, but there's still a difference between the common cold and Ebola.

12. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

I'm wondering....did you go by another name back then? From what I remember (and it's been so long, I don't have clear memory about any of this), I banned very few people from my group. Mostly it was people who took commenting on the whole Kraeg situation too far. I tried to be as honest and respectful back then as I could be, truly. If you go back and read some of the reviews, a lot were either negative or constructive. I didn't mind. We all have different tastes. But I did ban a select few who pushed the envelope after I made clear I wanted/needed to avoid the Kraeg feud. If you got banned from the group by mistake, and I missed an email or message that you sent to rectify the situation, I apologize. At the height of the story's popularity things were a little crazy, and I wasn't able to keep up.

13. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

At this point I don't even remember what happened back then. It's all in the past.