1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Lokesin, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

I find myself sitting on a small pile of money after this christmas, but with no unfinished RPGs to play. Unfortunately, I've gone poking around, and nothing seems to spring out to me as a viable purchase.

I have a 360 and a computer that's six years old (2.8Ghz processor, 2 Gigs of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6800 video card with 256MB video memory)

I've recently played Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Tales of Vesperia and Dragon Age.

Oh, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I really wish I hadn't there.

I'd be willing to branch out to other consoles if there's somewhere doing decent on RPGs right now, the well seems rather dry from where I'm looking.

Any advice?

2. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

You might like Oblivion as its very similar to Fallout 3 and made by the same company. If you do play Oblivion, I reccomend you mod the game as it improves the whole experience. Fable and Fable 2 are also a lot of fun, thougu very short.

3. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Yeah, Oblivion is good. I am not particularly fond of RPG's but a friend of mine who has Oblivion says it's a great game.

4. Anstid

Anstid Fourth Year DLP Supporter

If you don't mind something that is a little outdated then give Jade Empire a go. Close to my favourite RPG of all time.

5. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I really don't know anything about xbox but you should definitely play Oblivion.

Your PC is really too old to play any of the newer RPGs.Though you can still play some superb older one's like Deus Ex,Baldur's Gate 2,NWN,KOTOR etc

6. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Ah, heh. Forgot to list what I'd played on the computer. I've played all those but Deus Ex, though I might give that a try.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Now to just save up for a new computer in time for SWTOR...

7. Irdiumstern

Irdiumstern Squib

If you are playing for the RPG elements, Morrowind is probably better than Oblivion. Both are at least worth trying.

8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Jade Empire storywise was great, gameplay wise was terrible.

Fucking ghosts.

9. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

I'll second the KOTOR series, had a lot of fun playing those and they aren't graphically demanding.

10. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'd suggest KoTOR and Dragon Age, but you said you already played them. I second Jade Empire: awesome story, which, in my opinion, is more important than gameplay. for an RPG.
    I second Oblivion. Also, Elder Scrolls V is coming out in like a year. That's gonna rock.

11. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I don't know if you're looking for other suggestions because this isn't an actual RPG, but American McGee's Alice was one of the best games I've ever played. It could interest you because of the (at that time) revolutionary level design, love of details and great story. Your PC should be good enough at least, and the game should be low-budget.

Especially with the sequel supposedly coming out at the end of 2011 :awesome

12. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just about everything from Nippon Ichi is worth playing...

Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad... You should be able to run a PS2 emulator pretty easy, so you can grab most of those cheap at gamestop and shit.... Very worth playing.

How awesome is Nippon Ichi? Well, they named a game "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What did I do to Deserve This?" This is a company to follow, for realz.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I was never a great fan of Oblivion [and I refuse to mod it] but I've recently restarted it, and been enjoying it.

14. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Every played The Witcher? I very recently picked it up and enjoyed it like nothing else in a long fucking time. Couldn't be arsed to search for a thread on it, but it was a very, very engrossing story even if it suffered a little in gameplay.

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

If you're willing to play a good JRPG, have a look into anything labeled "Shin Megami Tensei." By and large, you won't regret it (unless you choose to play Nocturne on hard or something. That will fucking eat you alive).

Well, there's your problem right there.

16. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

What Solomon said, also since you have a 360 you should get Blue Dragon.

17. Exoteric

Exoteric First Year

I'd say it's highly unlikely that you haven't played the Diablo games, but what about Torchlight? It's similar to Diablo in terms of gameplay mechanics but has very little story elements to it.

18. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

Let's see...

There's Neverwinter Nights 2 and it's expansion MotB. The Witcher is a good RPG, but quite difficult and long. It's more for realism. The Witcher 2 is coming out soon as well. There's also the Gothic series. Elder Scrolls series were pretty decent, if rather old.

There's also the large list of classic Crpg's. Baldur's Gate Series, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Deus Ex series, Icewind Dale, and of course the KOTOR series.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You listed FO3 (ugh) and FO: NV (much better), but what about the first two?

20. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Agreed about FO3 and F:NV there Sion. I have played the first two there. They're actually still installed on my computer.

Vash: I looked into seeing if Disgaea was being released for 360 or not, but the most recent one looks to be PS3-exclusive. I was sad. Might end up getting a PS3 anyways somewhere down the line.

Chaosguy: I haven't heard very good things about Blue Dragon. Got any details for me?