1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Lokesin, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Do you have a psx or ps2 emulator? 'cause there are shitloads of good rpgs for those consoles.

2. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I liked it, it's a lot like Final Fantasy V in the job system, so if you like games w/ Job systems then you'll like it, but if you like games where everyone has a pre-defined job then you won't. It does take a while to get going, all you have at the beginning is the standard jobs, White Mage, Black Mage, Fighter, Monk, etc.

3. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Another vote for the Witcher which is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I actually just started another play-through in preparation for the sequel which is coming out in a few months and so far looks amazing.

4. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

I could have sworn there was a sticky saying not to talk about that. Did that change? :confused:

All else fails, I can hunt down the original consoles if I have to. Shame i had to sell my PS2 way back when.

I find it interesting that a large majority of the recommendations are RPGs from years ago. Is this a general trend here of a lack of current RPGs, or rose-tinted glasses?

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

A little from column A, a little from column B.

You've really played most of the major RPGs that have been released recently. There's always something like Demon's Souls, I guess, but you don't have a PS3, so...

6. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

You could also try Arx Fatalis, which is simar to Demon's Soul and Oblivion and its available on PC.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

If it can't stand up on it's own, without mods, it isn't a good game. It's not the communities job to fix shit.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not really. The emulator itself is a gray area. Advocating Piracy and linking torrents, basically... that's a no no.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I've always thought of Oblivion as an engine with modding tools, personally, because I agree; it is not a very good game as is.

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

You listed most of the heavy hitters for recent RPGs as stuff you already played. People are going to need to reach back for older games.

It doesn't help though that RPG games have been a niche thing since forever, but were a much larger part of the overall gaming world years ago. Companies didn't mind producing more RPGs at the time, because a huge portion of gamers enjoyed them.

These days where the biggest seller is Call Of Duty: A yearly iteration, there's not nearly as much incentive to invest millions making quality RPGs.

My beloved Bioware seems to be still at it though, though how long before the dreaded (and expected) EA craphammer falls is up for debate.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Even games like Dragon Age lack a certain quality that makes for a great game.

12. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I'm someone who plays the vanilla Oblivion and enjoys it, as such I've never bothered to mod it. Hell, most of the time I never mod games (though I'm about to for Medieval 2: Total War, after I finish/get tired of this game of Oblivion). So what are some good mods for Oblivion?

13. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I'll second the recs for Neverwinter Nights and Deux Ex, but Neverwinter Nights II was garbage, I'm sorry. Compared to the epicness of the first game (which, while significantly older, will likely run very well on your machine, and when properly modded is probably one of the best RPGs for the PC period), NWN 2 was vastly underdeveloped, poorly plotted, and extremely disappointing.

14. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Ironically, NWN 2 was the first NWM game I played and it ended up making me hate the NWN series and put me off from picking up NWN.

15. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Piece of advice - go back and give NWN a chance. NWN 2 was poorly designed and sloppily plotted, and the D&D system on which the game was supposedly based was so bastardized that it lost a lot of the flair and spunk the original game had. Even unmodded without the Players Resource Packs (which added a good hundred classes, a couple hundred spells, and tons more straight from the D&D rulebooks of 3.5 - not perfect, but pretty damn good just the same), NWN kicked all amounts of ass, easily replayable and fairly well-balanced.

NWN 2 was just shitty.

EDIT - Vash, I said one of the best RPGs in that era. I'm never going to deny the awesomeness that is Baldur's Gate II.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  16. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A ton of good RPGs mentioned here. I'm not a big fan of Oblivion, all I do in those bloody games is steal EVERYTHING and I rarely ever get around to the actual plot... I keep buying them though...

I'm going to throw my lot in with The Witcher and KOTOR, I recently installed KOTOR again and years down the road it's still better than most of the RPG's out there. I'd advise picking them up from Steam if you actually decide to get either.

17. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Any Shin Megami Tensei game ever made is worth a pick up. In fact right now I'm playing the first one translated on my Super Nintendo emulator.

18. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I think there's a glitch towards the end of that game that only makes itself apparent through the translation. Might want to keep an unpatched ROM on hand for that.

19. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I tend to disagree. I liked BGII a lot more than I did NWN.

20. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

thisthisthis.

although they don't fall neatly into the rpg category, the SMT and Persona series are some of my favorite games.