1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rumours of a live action Harry Potter series for HBO Max

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jan 25, 2021.

1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My immortal, duh.

2. Methuselah Honeysuckle

Methuselah Honeysuckle Squib

Yeah, The Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts are also cannon, didn't make them any better and too bad your doubts don't really mean much to agenda-driven Hollywood.

3. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

My guess would be something to do with the first war against Voldemort, focusing on the original Order of Phoenix.

The original fan base of Harry Potter has kids now, so having main cast (Lily and James, Frank and Alice) be parents would resonate with audience. In a series set in 1979-1981 you could go ham with retro aesthetics, bringing new visuals to the franchise. And also that era has enough unknowns that you could write a tv series with more than one seasons around it, even if the ultimate end result is known to everybody.

The characters are familiar in the sense that you know they exists, but you have absolutely no development for them, giving a perfect combination of freedom to create and instant brand recognition.

4. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Magical buddy cop series starring Hagrid and Grawp, full of WWF-style fights, three stooges humor and interspecies sex innuendo.

5. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

It's actually a remake of Harry Crow.

And James and Lily Potter are played by Dan Radcliffe and a red haired Emma Watson beause they just can't resist a harmony

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  7. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

Wow. Nailed it.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, they're both canon, which means they're not fanfics. And neither is particularly "woke" as I recall.

What agenda is it you're afraid will be explored in the show? The HP books explore a number of social issues in varying levels of detail, why should new HP material not continue to do that?

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is only one way to fix this. Adapt Renegade Cause to live action. That's a gendermorphmagus take I would actually enjoy.

10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I recommend you read the article before deciding, it may just change your mind!

11. Methuselah Honeysuckle

Why are you pretending to not get what I mean, just so you can spam or something?

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    As I asked, what agenda don't you want to see explored? If you can't even define what you don't want to see, why are you so bothered about potentially seeing it?

13. Methuselah Honeysuckle

Yup, spamming it is.

14. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Honestly, redo the original movies as an episodic TV series. I enjoy the movies, but the time crunch made sure a lot of things were left out. The movies started 19 years ago and DH came out a decade ago. There weren't fantasy book TV shows back then and GOT proved it can be done. Bonus points is there a definitive ending already written.

Show Harry running from bullies and apparating on the school roof. Show him turning the teachers wig blue. Show his hair growing back. Show us Vernon running into wizards on his commute. A stranger wringing a confused young Harry's hand. Show us the Weasley garden the degnoming. Tell who who the Marauders are. Give Tonks screentime and show her humor. The portrait of Walburga. Neville's parents and Lockhart in St. Mungos. Hermione championing S.P.E.W. Winky being a drunkard. There are so many little details in the book that would fill out a show nicely.

15. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Dumbledore's time in Hogwarts as a student being the focus of the series. Other than that, maybe a crime procedural following an auror. Anything else related to canon, whether it be the Marauder's era or Rise of Voldemort is gonna get me to nope out.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hi there! Welcome to DLP.

Defend or at least explain your fucking opinion though yeah?

I *think* you’re arguing that Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts movies are ‘woke fanfic’ and that’s fine. There’s issues with both and one can argue whether or not they’re canon (there’s another thread for that somewhere).

But what agendas were those being woke about? I don’t know shit about CC, true. I think it turned Harry into a weakass caricature of himself? I didn’t read it. So I’m curious.

But FBAWTFT I watched and it was a fun enough movie with a non conventional lead. I don’t remember having ‘wokeness’ shoved down my throat.

Hollywood just wants money. HP prints money.

I also hope we don’t get ‘woke fanfic’ though. Dealing with modern issues is fine but that can be done without shoving it at us full throttle.

17. Mordecai

High Score:
    I do wonder how well the innate magicalness of HP would translate for a tv series. It'd be an expensive thing to manage all the various bits of cgi that Hogwarts would require.

I suppose the key, deciding factor in what they make the show about will be what audience they're going for. My guess is they'll aim for teens, rather than for adults. So it'll be nothing too dark or gritty, but hopefully they don't go full on Disney high school Hogwarts for it.

18. Acquiescing Avian

Acquiescing Avian Second Year

I'd really love to see a Star Wars EU Legends-style Harry Potter with more struggle as an adult who gradually becomes a Dumbledore-like wizard, even if it's non-canon.

A campy, fun-filled (like Flash, but less emo-drama), canon-compliant show would be much better though. Something which actually has excellent Harry-Ron-Hermione interactions.

Anything is fine as long as it's not Snape-centric, imo.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The mature approach would be to first look at the budget and then craft the story you want to tell on the basis of your limitations. Don't have a big enough budget to do everything you want to a high level of quality? Fine, tell a more human story with more natural on-location shooting rather than elaborate sets (e.g. the Logan approach).

Unfortunately this mature approach is rarely taken. Much more common is "film it then shove in the cheap SFX to ruin it afterwards then serve up fans with a shit sandwich of cheap, tacky-looking material". But it is HBO which gives some hope.

20. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I know it will never happen but I would love a Law and Aurors show where we explore the crime in the Wizarding World. Could include Harry and Hermione by virtue of their ministry jobs.