1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rumours of a live action Harry Potter series for HBO Max

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jan 25, 2021.

1. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Honestly I don't know how much expensive cgi you'd need for a Harry Potter series. Creatures and cg doubles that you need to hand animate and perhaps large scale crowd simulations are expensive, but flashy colored lights and explosions not so much. And the budget for a HP show should easily be on par with shows like His Dark Materials or the Mandalorian, if not quite reaching late GoT levels.

2. Methuselah Honeysuckle

Methuselah Honeysuckle Squib

Why, tho? I obviously don't care enough to get into it and I really doubt the dude who called me out actually cares about what I've said or have to say, he just had a limited choice of replies at the time and wanted to type something.

With that being said, at this point I probably look like I'm just making excuses and there's nothing worse than looking inadequate in front of bunch of strangers, right? Man, and I took that snarky "if you can't define" like a champ, too. *Sigh* Oh, well...

So, just because something is considered as cannon doesn't make it any less trash when it looks like it's been written by a 15-years-old, so we might as well call it a fanfic. In fact, I've read that CC was written by someone else and JKR just stamped her name on it.
    My worries for it being woke aren't coming so much from cannon(Honestly, I've never seen CC, although I know the basics of the plot, I've seen the 1st FBAWTFT, fell asleep half-way through the 2nd and never tried to watch any of them again), but from JKR's need to cater to her twitter audience and the times we live in general, especially the shit that's been going on with Depp and Warner. I don't want to see characters from my childhood being used as tools to tell me how "privileged" I am, because I'm a white dude and Americans still can't figure out that racism and mistreatment of women is bad. I don't want divercity simply for divercity's sake. I don't want Hollywood's version of independent women and pretty much anything else that's so on the nose, it actually makes you cringe. I'm so fed up with that shit, I can basically hear them patting eachother on the back already for coming up with "Mudblood's lives matter" slogan.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To make settings like Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, and the Ministry feel truly magical they need quite a lot of background CGI. Portraits and staircases, weird animals, flying memos, house elves, all sorts of things just in the background. And then the spells, quidditch, and big creatures etc on top of that. It'd add up over the course of a series.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

How about you fuck off or do what the nice moderator asks you to, without back talk If you can't spend the time to make the effort then don't post. Can't follow that, I'll help you find a different website to go to.

5. Methuselah Honeysuckle

Methuselah Honeysuckle Squib

Because I asked "why, tho"? And I obviously did as he told me, anyway, so what's your problem? Jeez...

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I said no back talk. Enjoy a week for non-compliance with a simple request. Threadbanned.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just want a kick-ass Founders show. There's so much good Founders era fanfic out there they could crib from.

Get a good medieval period-piece writer to work with the fantasy guys and you could pull in a sizable new audience to the fandom.

8. arkkitehti

The Mandalorian had full cgi backgrounds rendered in real time on set. I'd be really surprised if the HP show didn't use similar technology.

Obviously if you want to make a series about Charlie in the dragon business, then your effects budget has the potential go through the roof. But retelling the canon story should definitely be well within the bounds of what's possible for a high budget series today in terms of sfx.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Regarding the budget point -- this might be high-profile enough to be a series that Netflix pours money into for the prestige (and to get their reputation as a fandom flipper under control). Similar to what Amazon's supposedly doing with LotR.

10. Mordecai

High Score:
    Its WarnerMedia, via HBO, from the rumours, not Netflix. We know that HBO aren't shy of investing heavily into a show, but I would guess how much they're willing to budget for it will depend on what audience they're going for.

11. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Am I the only one who doesn't want a reboot TV series of the books? This is one series I believe works better as a movie series than a TV show.

I don't want seven hours of HP and the SS, nor do I think there enough material there. I just can't imagine they would do it right.

Fantastic beasts and where to find them would make a far better TV series than canon. I'd be so down with that.

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    100% agreed that there'd be issues with stretching the material of PS to go far enough for a full series. But I think they could easily do the first 3 books over 2 series. Nice big cliffhanger moment around Christmas in CoS for the end of Season 1? Maybe even at Halloween when they find the Chamber has been opened?

13. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

In terms of potential ideas I could see being interesting,

1) A series set in the HP world but in a different country besides Britain. Perhaps the United States pretty much anytime after the Fantastic Beasts series. It could be something in parallel with the events of the books or even something modern perhaps.

2) As mentioned in this thread, a series covering the first rise of Voldemort.

3) If they'd be open to animated, an animated What If? series akin to Marvel's What If? Basically, Harry Potter fanfiction, the series.

14. arkkitehti

I don't think it would be too difficult to make an 8 episode series out of each of the first books, there's a ton of iconic scenes that "need" to be included if you are really going for a faithful adaptation of the books. PS is 17 chapters long, so that would be roughly 2 chapters per episode.

I'd say the bigger issue is how to make it coherent enough, as the series would by necessity include a lot of time jumps to cover the full year each book spans; there's plenty of pretty awkward jumps in the book; for example Hermione becoming part of the trio is handled with an offhand remark on how you can't fight a Troll without becoming friends. That would need some more meat in a tv adaptation...

Not that I think it would be a good idea to rehash the original series, just that it could easily be done.

15. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I'd be surprised if they did a canon rehash. Too many people already have Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint imprinted on their minds.

I could see a Mandalorian-style focus on a cool character that didn't get developed in canon. Given the teen interest, though, it wouldn't be a darker character, so no Snape or Voldemort. Younger Tonks would be a fun possibility, but everyone would be aware that she died later. Medieval Hogwarts with the founders might be fun too, but I doubt we'll get that.

My money is on the next gen kids at Hogwarts. Their adventures would be able to incorporate adults from canon and create some continuity. It would probably generate new merch and a whole lot more fanfiction too.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    They're certainly iconic, but its worth keeping in mind that DH part 2 was released nearly 10 years ago. A decade in Holywood is like a century in normal people time, I don't think the producers would see a problem with recasting and rebooting if they thought it'd be a money maker.

I genuinely doubt this show will be a straight up rehash of the books, but it won't be anything to do with the films and actors that stops them.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I can see it now...with apologies/scorn to Disney

Series 1, The Magic Awakens: 30 years after the events of Deathly Hallows, Harry Potter has gone into a self-imposed exile in the wilds of magical Ireland. On the mainland, Hermione Granger has assumed leadership of the Phoenix Order to resist the Eaters of Death, the successors to Voldemort's Death Eaters, led by Supreme Leader Scorpius and the mysterious Kylo Rose; her husband, Ron, has abandoned the fight in favour of menial work with his brother, George. Things begin to change when a mysterious orphan, Ebony, teams up with a runaway Eater of Death named Dan to flee the barren wasteland of Norfolk in a bid to aid the Phoenix Order and locate Harry...but what awaits them at the sinister Forest-Burner Fortress?

Series 2, The Last Auror: Ebony has realised her awesome magical powers, armed with Harry Potter's old wand, but at the cost of Ron Weasley's life, killed by Kylo Rose, revealed to be his daughter Rose, turned to dark magic. Ebony has journeyed to train with Harry Potter, but the older wizard has turned his back on the world for reasons of his own. While she struggles with her magic and questions her heritage, Dan and awkward Phoenix Order alchemist, Emma, must brave the lawless Knockturn Alley in a bid to locate a cursebreaker, while hotshot Order broomstick flyer Hadrian must learn a powerful lesson about leadership from Hermione Granger. Elsewhere, Kylo Rose begins to question the Eaters of Death's goals, culminating in her murdering Scorpius and assuming leadership herself. Letting Ebony in on the awful truth of her heritage - that she is no-one special - and vowing to destroy the whole society, light and dark, Pureblood and Muggleborn, Rose leads an attack on the Phoenix Order; can Harry Potter save the day?

Series 3, The Rise of Potter: in the aftermath of Harry Potter's final sacrifice, Voldemort has returned! Rose is now a Pureblood supremacist, seeking only to advance Voldemort's goals. Ebony, Dan and Hadrian travel more or less at random around the country searching for a map to Voldemort's hidden fortress, and eventually Ebony makes the discovery that she is Voldemort's grand-daughter. Hermione dies of a sudden illness, inspiring Rose to turn back to the light, and she joins Ebony in a grand-mal seizure inducing confrontation against Voldemort, while Dan and Hadrian grab Emma to try and recruit all the Order of the Phoenix members who haven't shown up so far. Rose and Ebony defeat Voldemort, and share a kiss before Rose succumbs to her wounds. Ebony travels to Privet Drive, where she hides Harry's wand in the cupboard that he used to sleep in, before declaring herself Ebony Potter.

18. makeshiftcraftsman

makeshiftcraftsman First Year

I bet it will be something set in America because they think it will sell better. So . . . Albus Severus does a wizarding version of Coming to America?

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    Albus Severus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy are chosen to participate on an exchange trip with an American wizarding school. Season 1 is their exchange year, and if it gets renewed the boys convinced their parents to let them transfer because they like the school so much?

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

The struggles of a muggleborn tiktok star finding out mobiles don't work at Hogwarts. Is the magic worth it?