1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Uh...okay?

2. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

Mute Arc
    By: destinyTail0
    Genere: Adventure/Friendship
    Rating:T
    Description:What if Jaune Arc can't talk?
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10208634/1/Mute-Arc
    Well the brief description doesn't tell much about this fic but Jaune's disability isn't really main focus (or at least not only one) of the story.It severs as main motivation for MC to fight against discrimination (of Faunus and disabled) while also playing into his personal relations. There are some pretty strong influences from Durarara
    Jaune stars his own organization similar to dollars called Mute Radio
    but it's not in any way actual crossover

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the subject of crossovers, has anyone seen any good ones recently?

I'm still waiting for a RWBY/Diablo world merger.

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I had a brief skim through what's up on FF.net and I couldn't find anything that stood out to me from the summary (in terms of non-Xovers). Anyone else got anything?

Craving something like Henceforward and Four Deadly Secrets really bad (I think the latter is the number one fanfic I'm looking forward to an update on). Both of which have significantly slowed their update rate down. So far, nothing else in the fandom has really stood out to me (sure, still reading Auburn and Zodiac, but neither really grab me the way the other two do).

5. Download

High Score:
    Agreed. I can't see anything notable updated in the last 6 months that hasn't already been discussed.

---------- Post automerged at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Found another gamer fic. Had high hopes for it before I saw it was Blake/Jaune

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    One story that is decent is this

A World of Bloody Evolution by RedrumSprinkles

Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure/Romance - Imperial Guard, Inquisition, Yang Xiao Long - Chapters: 31 - Words: 143,281 - Reviews: 615 - Favs: 308 - Follows: 341 - Updated: Aug 18 - Published: Nov 28, 2014 - id: 10855163

Crossover with Warhammer 40k, where Yang is kinda dumped/wakes up in that universe. Solid take on Yang and the writing is decent. I don't love it, but if you are interested in this crossover, it is worth checking out.

7. Download

High Score:
  8. OneirosTheWriter

OneirosTheWriter Second Year

Four Deadly Secrets has been sitting on about 15k/80% completion on Ch15 for a couple months now.

Basically got nailed for time after the wife had a knee reco and, well, been having trouble restarting it.

On leave at the moment and trying to finish it off now.

Edit: 22/09 - Draft done, currently bouncing around proofreaders.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  9. OneirosTheWriter

OneirosTheWriter Second Year

10. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Someone put this up for review. Enough people have been following it and like it that it shouldn't be buried in this thread. I'm looking at everyone who gave a thumbs up to the quoted post. Thanks.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    it's already in the library, Nuhuh.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

In fact, you posted a review of it in said Library post Nuhuh. =P

Anyway, here's another RWBY fic I read a few weeks ago that I think is worth sharing:

It features Roman Torchwick and Neo as main characters. Something a bit different.

It's pretty fun and reasonably written.

13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

:facepalm Why is he posting in here about it then? Should be in Review thread where discussion can be generated.

Yeah, I remember now. Thanks.

OneirousTheWriter, hit up your review thread as well so discussion can go where it should. Thanks.
    Jarik I see you already did. Cool.

14. Nemrut

High Score:
    So, Season 3 is apparently going to start at the end of the month, hopefully.

Here is a short clip of a fight in the tournament.

15. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Mmm. It was cool. The movement of the character's looked sorta stiff and the backgrounds weren't the best. Hopefully they'll have that fixed by the time they release the episodes.

16. Nemrut

High Score:
    Reiteration by Phailen

Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Friendship - Ruby Rose, Yang Xiao Long, OC - Chapters: 24 - Words: 192,484 - Reviews: 214 - Favs: 219 - Follows: 287 - Updated: 51m ago - Published: Mar 23 - id: 11132119

It's not exactly a masterpiece, it has its flaws, I think some people might dismiss his status with his team as slightly wish-fulfilment-y, and yeah, there is shades of that, but overall, I do like it. I like the take on Beacon and its classsystem, with the rankings, and grades and all. I like the character interaction, both, in the team and with others. I like the side characters, like Enten's family and I like the conflict.

For the RWBY fandom, it's one of the better stories. It also gets regular updates.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think the flaws in Reiteration overshadow the little interesting parts too much.

It started pretty enjoyable, with the sort of concept which can make other SI fics quite good - ie, the person is born into that universe as a baby. Enten's interaction with his first family and how they viewed him, and then again with his second family was interesting. It also explored a bit more of the racism that the Faunus see, which I quite liked a lot.

The problems really started when Enten went to Beacon.

The first obvious one was being put on team RWEBY. Like, come on, SI main character on the only 5 person team? Yeah, that's not even trying to be subtle about the wish fulfillment thing.

Then there was the interaction with the rest of his team. To put it simply, it was bad. Really bad. A great example would be him trying to fix Weiss's racism, and she's basically portrayed as having all kinds of trauma as a result of White Fang attempts, which he treats as if he were some sort of therapist. It diminishes Weiss completely as a character, and makes him the sort of lecturing character that always wreck fanfics. It's not as bad as many fics are, but it was definitely a negative point.

The reveals - "Oh I'm from another dimension" - was handled awfully too. Lacked any sort of impact, though the author tried to write it as if it did. It basically added nothing to the plot line except took one aspect of tension (which wasn't even really used or built up at all - there was no mystery to other characters about why he acts the way he does or anything except from his first family).

The one aspect that could have been interesting, but sort of fell flat was the way he acted to other teams. Enten is portrayed as very cold and manipulative - willing to use other teams to ensure the success of Team RWEBY. Except instead of Frank Underwood, he feels like a poor fanon attempt at Draco Malfoy in Slytherin politics - a tryhard and an arsehole. An example would be the notes he takes on other teams (which in itself, feels like an author wank. Yes, okay, we get it, you can use a CLI) which aren't particularly comprehensive, insightful or interesting at all - but are portrayed as such (with everyone else acting very impressed).

The one redeeming aspect of that is that the story does portray him as going a bit too far. His team take it up with him and tell him to stop being a dick. Of course, this is completely diminished by the segue into his own sob story and his excuse for acting like that, the team's anger quickly turning to pity.

I have to admit, the world building within Beacon is sort of interesting. The way teams have older mentor teams and the way that was implemented was pretty novel and interesting, as well as the rankings and other aspects of the schooling system.

Overall, not a good story, but potentially just readable enough to actually get through it (only to feel annoyed at the end of it). Keep in mind, this is also coming from someone who loves Naruto SIs, so for anyone who couldn't get into DoS or Vapors, this will definitely be unreadable.

18. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    It's basically the Chunin Exams meets the Olympics.

Only, if they can have a huge flying stadium, one wonders whey they don't have huge flying fortresses with which they decimate Grimm.

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Because that would get in the way of the ridiculously awesome transforming weapons and various hunter shenanigans.