1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You could have both, though, deploy hunters and huntresses with ridiculously awesome transforming weapons from your ridiculously awesome flying transforming fortresses.

2. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

They have enormous airships and such. The reason they probably don't make air-fortresses standard is probably the same reason it wouldn't be feasible in real life--it'd be really expensive. I mean, if we assume that Dust prices are comparable to gas prices and that air shits cost an amount roughly equal to planes, you'd be pissing away money to pull that stuff out for anything less than an emergency. It makes a great awe-inspiring symbol, but it it cost effective? Sure, you could build a Death Star...or you could build a shit ton of star destroyers, fighter jets, robots, and etc. And which would you use more often?

3. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Wow. Guess next time I go abroad I'll just hold it in.

:nyan:

4. Nemrut

High Score:
    Maybe, but the advantage of a flying fortress would be that a lucky Nevermore wouldn't be able to destroy it, the way it could probably take down an airship.

Humanity/Faunuskind are (seemingly) losing this war against the Grimm and one or two of these things might just help turn things around. There is not a lot Grimm can do against a huge fortress raining fire and death down upon them, reclaiming lost territory.

Sure, expensive, but probably effective.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  5. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

(The only things I know about RWBY come from TGWP, so if I'm wrong here then sorry)

Isn't a big part of the Grimm how they are drawn to negative human emotions? If so then the inspiration derived from a big fortress along those lines being a 'flagship' of sorts is also not to be discounted, right?

6. thattin

thattin Second Year

But they do have a flying-fortress-flagship thing. Amity coliseum where they hold the Vytal festival is a highly visible construct which probably acts as a flagship and more. They probably don't feel the need to build another one when overall it's probably not very efficient.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Actually, it would probably make things worse. Even assuming that there aren't any super-Grimm up to the task of taking it down--which seems unlikely from a simple story perspective--I think you're underestimating the costs. There's a reason that airlines have so much trouble; even beyond the absurd costs of the planes themselves, simply fueling them is a bitch. A passenger plane, for example, can easily cost $200000 to fill up.

Now, anything like a fortress is going to be orders of magnitude more expensive than that. If it was only ten times as expensive, you'd be very, very luck, and that's still costing you millions and millions every day, on top of the cost of building it, maintaining it, stocking it, and etc. If you want something like that in constant use, it's going to be absurdly costly and wasteful--especially because most of the time it won't be going anything. The Helicarrier in the Avengers looks cool and all, but is a stupid idea on a bunch of levels.

And then you have the risk of damages. If it sees frequent enough use to be worthwhile, it'll sustain both basic wear and tear and actual hits, any one of which could be of serious concern to an airborne vessel. And if it crash lands anywhere but near the Kingdoms, you can forget about ever getting it back, much less repairing it. So strategically, you'd need to keep it close...where it won't see enough use to be worth it.

It's to expensive to risk, too expensive not to use, and it's only arguably useful besides.

8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. Nemrut

High Score:
    Yeah, they were fun, really liked them. Especially after the Star Wars trailer xD

10. Download

High Score:
    I'm not sure if anyone else missed it but the first episode of Volume 3 apparently came out yesterday. I'm trying to find a link.

11. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

Pretty sure it's subscriber-only right now. They're supposed to release it to the public in about 7 hours.

12. Nemrut

High Score:
    Yeah, the premium members or sponsors or however it is called get access a day before the public, which is saturday mornings, on the roosterteeth website . Public gets it one day later on roosterteeth and on crunchyroll as well, IIRC. Youtube gets it a week after that, depending on where you prefer to watch this.

Anyone know when the japanese dub is going to be released?

13. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

14. kellanved

kellanved Squib

I haven't seen this posted, so I'll give it a rec:

The Glass Menagerie by Person With Many Aliases

Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Humor - OC, Velvet Scarlatina - Chapters: 14 - Words: 118,393 - Reviews: 40 - Favs: 57 - Follows: 58 - Updated: Nov 3 - Published: Mar 22, 2014 - id: 10206756

Velvet-centric AU, she's not in her canon team. First part of the story is how she gets recruited for Beacon, and how she meets her team. It includes car chases, blowing up ships and many other less than legal actions. Thrilling and a bit absurd, it's well written, the OCs are memorable and (mostly) interesting to read.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

This. Is. Amazing!

Like, wow. I can't believe I read a RWBY fic like this. Stylistically and plot wise, something I never could have imagined in this fandom.

Please put this up For Review in the Library. It's definitely library quality.

The first arc felt like one of those Hollywood comedy/action films where a bunch of teenagers somehow end up in some crazy, stupid adventure. It was really well put together and all the characters were just epic fun. Velvet was a great protagonist too.

The only potential downside is it didn't really feel like RWBY. But I'm not really holding that against it, since this sort of story couldn't have worked without that.

Looks like Second Arc will be in more familiar places though....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  16. kellanved

kellanved Squib

I think the fic would've been better if split after the first arc ended. It's self-contained, and there's a bit of a tone difference between the two arcs.

You should also try their Tensile Strength of the Soul. Much different fic, Blake-centric - it adds bits and pieces to the canon RWBY worldbuilding, changes some minor details and gives Blake an interesting backstory and characterization, while still keeping her recognizably Blake.

I'll post my review in the Other Fandom review board as soon as the prefix button starts working when posting new threads. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  17. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

18. Download

High Score:
  19. Download

High Score:
  20. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

This has got to be made here in DLP.

No wonder Ozpin let Jaune in even though his records are forged and he sucked balls.