1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Pretty arbitrary reason to cut yourself off from some good fics.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Not really? I've seen some people do it out of principle (e.g. Making money off of fanfiction is contentious and potentially threatens how far authors will tolerate fanfiction as a whole.). As far as reasons go, there are plenty more arbitrary lines to draw (i will only read harry centric fics etc.)

3. nevu

nevu First Year

I can see the argument for some kinds of fanfiction about patreon, but I think RWBY fanfic has a wider berth than some other fandoms. RWBY wouldn't have been possible without the similar sort of art funding, because RoosterTeeth has its basis in RedVsBlue, a fan project about Halo. Generally speaking people making commissioned fan art is a legal gray area, but most content makers are happy as it helps draw in new fans and pleases their current ones. In the case of RWBY, I cannot see roosterteeth taking action against anyone with a patreon due to that.

There are cases where people using a patreon bothers me, but that's for fandoms where I'm pretty sure the author would definitely not be OK with it. There are a few authors that dislike fanfiction of their art in general and their wishes are by and large respected by the various fan sites (ff.net has a list of the authors you can't write fanfiction for on their site. It's a pretty... random list).

4. fire

fire Order Member

This has been dead for a while, so here goes another Coeur rec:

Forged Destiny

Basically an RPG style story done right; much better than the usual Gamer-type fics that reduce even human interaction to RPG mechanics, which is about as shit as it sounds. I wasn't convinced by Forged Destiny initially - I really distrust the whole RPG-as-story genre - but Coeur handled characterization and interactions right, and he captures that sense of wonder and adventure and discovery that you get when you first play an MMORPG.

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

In respect to 'making DLP great again', I recommend also putting this up for Review.

6. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Overall I would rate Coeur as a pretty solid writer. More miss then hit for me, at least with his older more comedy focused works. I do like Forged Destiny though. Handles RPG elements and a good sized cast without giving me gabriel blessing flash backs. 3-4/5, worth a look if you enjoy video game fantasy, rwby, and don't mind Jaune as the protaganist.

7. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I rather enjoyed Forged Destiny. Coeur is a bit like LessWrong in that he averages out a solid 3.5, maybe even a 4 on a good day, but is so completely obnoxious as a human being that it detracts from the reading experience.

Put it up for review and I'll leave you a proper reply. ;)

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If you've got a fic to rec, please post it in Other Fandom Review.

You can also post directly to Almost Rec if you think its not library worthy, but I'm trying to get everyone away from the megathreads. I know there are still some floating around that aren't locked, but please, give it a try. I appreciate the efforts in finding new fics and so will everyone else.

E: I say preferable, but there is nothing wrong in posting in these threads if there is say 3 chapters of a story and it really doesn't need a library thread yet, but people wanna get it on radar.

I've seen a lot of good fics come from threads like this so they're not all bad. Just in an effort of getting content to the right places so it doesn't languish in a thread where someone's not likely to see it, throw it into Review if there are greater than 10 chapters, lets say?

Cause depending on update size that could be a decent amount of content.

Am I saying not to post in this thread? No.

Am I saying I'd like to see more stuff in Other Fandom Review? Yes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I would like 1 rwby drugs plz.