1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Scryer: Fanfiction Search Database (Alpha)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Avierh

Avierh First Year

There's only about 837 fics for Dresden Files on fanfiction.net. I don't think that Dresden Files has that many writers outside of DLP for where you'd need a filter.

2. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So the newest results I have been receiving are from six days ago. This is happening on both my phone and my laptop, so I'm pretty sure that this isn't the fault of browser settings. Is there something I can due to alleviate this as a personal issue, or is this happening to others as well?

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

This has been fixed as of a few days ago.

4. Photon

Photon Order Member

I have mu own personal fanfiction database, with quite complicated sets of rules.

One of them is detector of slash stories, smarter than just "no word slash in description" - and it seems quite good at hiding slash.

I wonder - would somebody be interested in my code and use it to implement "no slash" checkbox (it uses rules that cannot be currently set in Scryer, like "genre contains <romance> AND both first character and second characters are male")?

5. Lord Ravenclaw

These kinds of rules are possible in Scryer, but not exposed via the UI yet. It is open source, I welcome additions.

6. Imperius

Imperius First Year

Hi, I haven't been getting any results from Scryer for last one week. Is there an indexing problem?

I have some experience in building search engines & web scraping. Let me know if you need a hand.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Raven's been migrating host and a few things have broken along the way. Last I heard I think he said secondary services like Scryer and the API could be down for a while until he gets some free time.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Good call -- it's back up now. DLP API on the new server supports SSL, and browsers forced it (HSTS headers), but the frontend was attempting HTTP only, which results in a cross-origin error.

9. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

Is there any way to save my options between searches?

Eg: I have a list of male characters that are commonly used in slash fics, and I have to manually add them each time I go to search.

I tried bookmarking the search page after I entered them and searched, but it doesn't auto-fill in the characters. So if I want to modify the search at all I have to manually enter them all again.

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Not yet, but this is something I'll fix in the next release.

11. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

The last couple of days I've been getting the error "No results found. Try another query."

No matter what I try I always get this error. Is this a known bug?

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I'm getting the same issue. Also, it won't open in Opera for me, but it's fine in other browsers.

13. Lord Ravenclaw

Hey guys, resolved the issue with Scryer. Another issue with runaway processes. It shouldn't happen again.

14. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Scryer doesn't work in Chrome (Ver 38.0.2125.111 m). I use win 7. I disabled all extensions and tried restarting computer. Nothing works. I used another laptop (with same version of chrome, with extensions and win 8.1) and it works just fine. It also works fine in Firefox and IE. It looks like this: [​IMG]

edit: It works now. Thanks Lord Ravenclaw.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  15. Jpzh2d

Jpzh2d Disappeared

Just a suggestion but could you please make it possible to include something that has a space in it. I know I'm not explaining well so I'll just give an example.

If I want to search for a story that includes time travel in the summary I have to search for:
    '+time +travel' as a search for '+timetravel' will only return stories that have the word 'timetravel' in the summary.

This isn't exactly a problem but it is kind of annoying and confusing at first. Maybe you could make escape sequences work (e.g. '+time\ travel') or use underscores to represent spaces (e.g '+time_travel'). Again its not a problem, but it is me being a nitpicking twat.

If you need any Python (3.0 +) or Ruby scripting help you can contact me.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Use the syntax +"time travel"

Lucene tokenizes query strings without quotes to group the tokens together.

Appreciate the offer, I'll keep it in mind. We're usually in #programming on IRC, which is the easiest way to get into DLP OSS projects. The majority of DLP's projects are in PHP (vBulletin or legacy) or Java/Scala (new projects). That being said, I may be moving Scryer to be a Rails project (vs. just an Angular app talking to the DLP API)

Clear your cache and try again. Also Ctrl+shift+R a few times.

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Good news everyone!

Progress has finally been made on Scryer. I'd honestly hit a wall with AngularJS in developing new features for Scryer. It was simpler to rewrite Scryer on Rails than to continue with AngularJS. It's allowed me to aggressively ship features at a rapid pace the last few days, notably HP crossover support. Multi-fandom support is also there, but disabled while we backfill the search index from FFN.

The new version of Scryer can be found https://scryerdev.darklordpotter.net/ here, it may be unavailable occasionally as features are shipped and deployments are tweaked. That said, it should be relatively stable and iterating rapidly.

This Scryer is friendly to JS-less browsers (and those with NoScript enabled). It's written in Ruby on Rails vs. a pure frontend JS framework like before. The design is slightly different as well. It's a little rough, and needs some more work, but IMO it's already superior to the existing Scryer.

On the near-term roadmap, I'm expecting to also ship saved searches.

18. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

js-less browsers? Ain't that rather switched-off JS with NoScript or similar? And does the new interface go well on cellphones and tablets?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D using Tapatalk

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Screen-readers and text-only browsers like Lynx will trip over javascript.

20. Lord Ravenclaw

As The Wizard said, text-only browsers like links rarely have a JS engine. But yes, the primary case is NoScript.