1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Self-Insert fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Anya, Jan 9, 2014.

1. cowofdoom

cowofdoom Squib

I finished reading In Bad Faith, a fairly interesting read, I liked the Malfoy family interactions. Recent chapters with the heir-business worry me a bit, and the main character has some Mary Sue traits, but I will continue to read this story. Looking forward to Hogwarts. 6/10-7/10 I suppose, some misses, but it managed to hold my attention.

Thank you very much for linking this story.:)

Seems like an interesting experiment. My experience is that stories like this get pulled toward Mary Sue territory, but DLP has a bit of different community compared to some forums.
    If somebody comes up with a decent procedure to host a thing like this I would be interested in taking part.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. melior

melior Seventh Year

There is not much in the way of plot until Chapter 20 or so anyway.

3. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Wrong thread. Duh.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  4. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Wonderland by catchandelier is a DC Universe SI. Teen Titans and Young Justice.

It's... Enjoyable. But kind of all over the place. Sort of a stream of consciousness narrative. Confusing at times and the author has a habit of info-dumping the crap out of a subject. For example the main character needs a bra, cue the author info dumping pretty much the entire history of the bra. Mostly I just skipped over them.

It also apparently has a crossover with Cardcaptor Sakura.

The Swirling Tides, is a Naruto SI.

Here's a C2!

Looking Straight to the Sky is another Naruto SI, except has the added thing of the SI being Death's Apprentice, which is different.

5. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

With This Ring is a pretty interesting self insert story over on the Spacebattles forums. The SI wakes up in the Young Justice world with an orange power ring, although it goes into a lot of the wider DC universe. For those don't know, Orange Lanterns are quite similar to Green Lanterns except their rings are powered by desire.

Most of the time it's fairly solid writing, maybe 3.5/5. YMMV though. The author also updates once a day (without fail as far as I've seen) which is a definite plus.

6. Anya

Male self insert?

7. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah, male self insert.

I should warn that there are some slash-vibes between the SI and Superboy later in the fic. It's pretty innocent, and comes off more jokingly than anything serious but it's still there.

I can definitely see what you mean about the info-dumping. This is definitely the first (and hopefully the last) story I've ever read that begins with a treatise on life boats. I'll try to keep reading but even skimming through that was painful.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. Anya

I don't kind m/m, I'm just iffy reading fic with a male main character that isn't named Harry. I'm a snob.

I'll give it a go though.

9. Anya

Monster and Hero are stories about a villainous SI OC. It's pretty good. From the Naruto archive.

10. ehrenyu

ehrenyu Fourth Year

Well, I started reading Magical Me and it's good so far and I'm on the 6th chapter out of 14 total. The SI is male and wakes up in Gilderoy Lockhart's body. I thought I'd be more turned-off by it but the writing is not bad (no spelling errors that I can see).

11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Magical Me was pretty good at the start, but it now has too many cliches.

12. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I second this.

The overuse of Magical Oaths, the Self-Insert fixing everything very quickly, and the Bashing. Seriously, any Story that hates Madam Pomfrey of all people isn't exactly a good one.

13. ehrenyu

ehrenyu Fourth Year

..... Oh. Well. I guess I'll have to stop there before it goes on for much longer. How can anyone hate on Madam Pomfrey???

14. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Apparently, Harry was really abused and Dumbledore told her not to report it.

15. ehrenyu

ehrenyu Fourth Year

No. That's not- -eye twitches- Overuse of Magic oaths is one thing, but Madam Pomfrey not reporting abuse having known about it?! Implausible. Yeah, with that I am resigned to not finish reading it. I've read enough bad fanfiction in my lifetime to not add to it, I think. -sigh- I guess Manipulative!Dumbledore should have been a dead giveaway.

16. Photon

Photon Order Member

In recent chapter there was interesting deconstruction of this, main character has major problem caused by overusing oaths.

But yes, it is seriously done manipulative!Dumbledore. Despite this I like the story, now I am going to read a new chapter.

17. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever write an HP Self-Insert that either did an excellent job mocking most Self-Inserts with Crack, or a serious one that didn't fall into the trap of Cliches?

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A decent Naruto self insert. Self insert is Gekko Hayate's older sister. Decently written, good length. Catch Your Breath, by Lang Noi.

19. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Alas, I know nothing about Naruto, besides the fact the main character can change into a naked woman with some spell.

And I said HP FanFic.

20. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I don't think so. The only self insert in HP that I consider readable is In Bad Faith, and the author actually genderbends himself in that one >_>

Other than that one I haven't found any self insert in HP to be readable. You should write one!:D