1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sell me on Dresden Files?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by cazten, Nov 18, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Hey guys.... Been around the forum for years now and only ever found a strong interest in HP series. Then comes fanfiction, and the more mature focused DLP favored content specifically and I find myself after years of reading exhausted of good material. Of course a few gems roll in every now and then but seems seem so slow these days.

A couple HP crossovers (namely Shezza's Denarian series) has really caught my interest. So as someone who's never picked up a Dresden Files book I find myself curious as to how you guys all compare the two universes?
    I feel like i kinda got a small crash course on the workings of the universe through the crossovers, but I'm wondering how much of that really is how Dresden Files is or if its twisted with more mature fanfiction ideas.

To be clear, I started reading HP books in like middle school? Maybe earlier? I certainly caught on the buzz a year or two late. Now I'm nearly 21 years old, live in my own place, ect.... A Harry Potter like series just wouldn't cut it anymore. The only reason Fanfiction doe's on occasion is because most of what i read isn't written for children really.

Is Dresden a more mature themed series? One in which someone of my age and tendencies in the HP fandom would likely enjoy? Could anyone care to give me a rundown on how the series goes? Is it anyway comparable to something like Shezza's works?

Thanks

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Would've taken less effort to read one fucking chapter of the first book than to type up this thread. Or just punched it into Wikipedia.

So I'm going to go ahead and mentally label you a toolbox.

3. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    One word. Vampire sex and Sex vampires. hmmm That may be more than one word. And also, your a retard faggot and shouldn't read Dresden anyways. It's too hetro for your gay self.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

5. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

I don't think Shezza or Watermage's crossovers make the Dresdenverse darker than it is in canon. I picked up the Dresden Files because of those two, actually, and found I already had a good understanding of the background because I'd read those fics. So no major twistage here.

Also, if you really want to know what Dresden reads like, check out LittleChicago's oneshot. It's not a crossover, and it's most likely the closest you can be to the real thing.

EDIT : yay 400th post !

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. Tehan

I take back the toolbox thing, cazten.

This is a toolbox.

7. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

LOL.... Thx Jon and JWH for the only relevant posts to this thread. I'm going to go ahead and read a couple of those chapters you linked Jon, see if they catch me at all.

Since I don't have any experience with the series (and it seems very long), I didn't want to have read crossovers with significantly more developed and interesting themes than the true series its' self if i were to jump into book one.... Almost kinda like having read a fandom book with HP doing really cool stuff never even remotely touched upon in the real series (Waste Lands of Time, ect,), then jumping to philosophers stone and reading about the lumos charm...

If anyone else has any more twat like responses I invite you not to waste your time posting?

8. Tehan

See me after class.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

QFT.

Haven't done that in a while... D:

10. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Read chapter one and two from that link Jon. Actually seems pretty captivating already, particularly chapter two. I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot, so thx for that again.

Tehan.... Seriously, don't be gay now...

11. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

The irony shatters my mind.

12. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Well, that was the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me. And I don't just mean here, I mean in my whole fucking life.

To the OP, have fun with the DF. On the whole, a much more fulfilling experience than HP... Especially the respective book 7s. Potter's involved a lot of death, Dreden's involved raising the dead... much more fun.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seriously, why is it our job to convince you to read the books? Why should we care if you read them or not?

If you want to read them, read them. If not, don't. It's not quantum mechanics.

14. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Really? Really? This thread was necessary just so two people could lead you to the logical course of action to read the first couple of chapters of the series?

You're the guy who gets friends to google for him.
    --

Edit: Locked. Move on to something else, people.

Not open for further replies.