1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Shinobi: Team 7 by Gallyrat - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Feoffic, Feb 5, 2015.

1. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    Now that the first arc is finished, I think it's enough to give it a review. It doesn't feel like Naruto. Not properly. The first iteration of this felt like Naruto Part 1 power levels combined with Naruto Shippuden world-building and scope. This feels a lot more like Naruto in some Game of Thrones-esque universe where clans and the Hokage have their own rivalries.

I'm a fan, simply because it's novel. Gallyrat has shown in the past that they have the writing talent required to pull off something of this scope. I'm seriously interested in how they resolve and take Naruto forward. I would say 4/5 for now depending on how the story continues.

2. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

The story has been updated. The bot hasn't been updated so ill do it.

I thought the update was fun it just covered a bit about the teams relationship while doing some more world building. We also get a little more info about what Naruto is.

3. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

Updated again.

Sorry for the double post idk of edits ping the thread. The new link should probably be added or we should make a new thread.

Edit: does it update with edits? edit2: no

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  4. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I'm not sure how I feel about the story.
    Its descriptions are vivid and the worldbuilding feels great.

We see the introduction of the Nosuri in this chapter. It straight up felt like watching the Sand People in Star Wars be revealed on the big screen.

Naruto's first kill felt real and brutal. There was none of the usual throw-a-kunai-worry-about-consequences-later, it was pure brutal carnage.
    It gave weight to the scene in a way most authors have issues with.

On the other hand we're 60k words in and it feels like we just exited the introduction where the heroes are gathered.

I'm reading every new update as they come but I'd really like more plot progression. Worldbuilding is great but a foundation without a house makes for a shitty residence.

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Yes the worldbuilding is excellent but the plot progression is a bt lacking so far. Still 5/5 for me because the writing is good and because of the creativity on display.

I'm not a huge fan of lower-powered Naruto-verse but the quality of the fic is high enough that I don't mind it in this case.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I scrolled back to find my own review from years ago and I gave the first few chapters 3/5 at best but maybe 2/5.

Do we just have drastically different tastes or does it get a lot better as you keep going? Or was it rewritten at some point?

7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Yep. Gallyrat rebooted Shinobi Team 7 as Born Weapons last year. Since it's basically the same story no one started a new thread for the reboot.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'll update it. Might come back and make a new thread later if the updates keep coming regularly.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  9. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I've only read the reboot, to be clear.

10. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The original had some good ideas, but while slow I'm really enjoying the execution of the reboot