1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Should Draco Malfoy have gone to prison?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Especially since the Malfoys have one of the most valuable resources for winning any legal conflict; enough money to hire a whole bunch of very expensive and very good lawyers.

2. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Not a good assumption to make after their tough times with Voldemort and friends. Lawyers cannot save you when you were already knee deep in the previous regime's deeds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I'm sorry, did you just try to claim that casting the Imperius Curse on a goblin is illegal, as though they were humans?

:wizard:

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Even if they're not human and don't have the same rights in many regards, I expect the law would frown on mind-controlling the people who control the banking system out of pure self-interest. While Harry probably gets a pass by virtue of wartime necessity, normally using mind control to break into Gringotts to rob a vault would be massively illegal.

They saved Lucius after the first war, and that was with a case built entirely on lies. Draco has some actual facts to back up an argument for innocence/massively reduced punishment.

If we want to take Denazification as a good historical parallel, it wouldn't be hard to make an argument that Draco got pulled into this before he was even an adult was just a young follower who had no idea what he was getting into and was in way over his head (Especially since that seems to have been Rowling's intent with the character).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. Bergeton

Bergeton Squib

I'm sorry, did you just imply that casting the Imperius Curse on muggles is illegal?

6. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    No. The purpose of prison should be to rehabilitate people. Since there is no reason to believe Draco was a threat to anyone by the end of the series, he had no reason to go to prison. I'm very against the idea that we should imprison people just for the sake of revenge. It would be good if the Malfoys had to pay some sort of fine though.

7. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Did he not perform the equivalent of rape, by casting the imperious curse on Madame Rosmerta. If he was convicted of casting the imperious curse on another human being on his own accord, then I think that he should be punished according the law. He was also a card carrying member of a terrorist organisation, involved in conspiracies to commit murder, and people have been tortured in his basement, while he was of age.

8. fancy_pants

fancy_pants Muggle

I believe that prison would've been a decent punishment for him