1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Silent Leges enim inter Arma by Nullumstiamdictum - T- The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by TuskenRaider, Apr 29, 2012.

1. TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider Muggle

Title: Silent Leges enim inter Arma
    Author: Nullumstiamdictum
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Fandom: The Hunger Games
    Pairings: None
    Summary: At the Reaping for the 74th Annual Hunger Games, Primrose Everdeen's name was not called. But Gale Hawthorne's was. This is a story of ends, not means. A story of cunning, not brute force. A story of betrayal, not love. This is Gale Hawthorne.
    Link http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7913930/1/Silent_Leges_enim_inter_Arma

There is a lack of good Hunger Games fics out there, but this one managed to keep me up all night reading. It was posted as a complete work, which is always a bonus. I hate waiting for chapters, and it usually implies that the author took the time to write a well rounded and interconnected story.

It's a rewrite of the first book in the trilogy from Gale's point of view, but instead of simply rehashing the book's plot, the author completely makes it his own with several unique twists and even successfully altering the key themes of the story-line. Gale really isn't fleshed out too much in the books, so I feel the author did a good job with his personality and how he would have acted in Katniss's place.

Knowledge of the universe would be helpful. Give it a read, and don't let the shitty title distract you.

4/5

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having read this, I'm thoroughly unimpressed. From the gratuitous playboy act to the erratic point of view, there was a constant feeling of amateurish writing. There isn't much wrong in the way of spelling or grammar, but there's very little right with them, either; nothing has been done to use language in a way that impresses me. From language to plot, the whole thing was bland. Except the Latin titles, which were derpy.

The author clearly lost interest part-way through and had to end it, but I felt like they cut short the only thing which could have made it worth reading; showing Gale'sreintegration into District Twelve. Haymitch's warning that Gale was more like the Capitol than he thought was the only line that suggested worthwhile character development. I was hardly impressed by the token buttfuck towards the end, either. It was portrayed with insulting flippancy, then skipped over without showing the potential depth inherent in that situation.

Kudos to the author for managing to write and post a complete story, but success is more than the absence of utter failure.

2/5 by DLP standards at best.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Agree with Otters on pretty much every thing. Story just felt bland for the most part and Gale isn't a particularly interesting character to follow. As Otters said, the most interesting part, his return after all the things he did and how he approached the Hunger Games was just not really focused on and a big letdown.

I think the only memorable line/event of the story

[FONT=&quot]He thought watching his tributes die every year was bad -- he didn't think watching them survive would be worse

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]So yeah, not so bad that I dropped it but not good enough to recommend it either. Library material. 2/5
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]