1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Ashan, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

So SimCity is out now (in my area, anyway) and installing, and will be out for the rest of the world within 24 hours. Is anyone else playing and want to set up a region together?

2. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Origin only plus tiny city sizes plus always-online DRM plus one-save-only plus no terraforming equals very little chance of EA getting my money.

4. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

The city size makes it look like it should be a facebook game. I think I'll pass on this one.
    [​IMG]

5. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I look at this and all I see is those damn aliens from SimCity 2000 destroying everything.

6. TSN

TSN Auror

sim city 4 was the best of the genre, and I dont think any1 would ever make anything better.

7. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

[​IMG]

Ea basically guaranteed no piracy for Sim City with this. So what if the paying customer suffer for this?

8. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

The review World posted seemed pretty negative. My immediate thoughts on this game going by that, is that it looks like another Diablo3 look-a-like fuckup. "Always online" is one of the worst concepts ever created for games you want to be able to play on your own.

9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Lucky most reviewers saw this coming after Diablo 3's bullshit, and refused to give reviews based on performance on the pre-release preview servers.

Guess it's time to go back to Rush Hour.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It appeals to the "social" horseshit that's been thrown around lately. Doing anything alone is extremely frowned upon, and people expect to always be online so they can constantly have interaction, no matter how trivial, with someone. Of course by "people" I mean the Facebook and smartphone addicts that developers see fit to constantly pander to.

Also DRM.

11. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Last Sim City I played was 2000, back when I was Ten and had no idea what the fuck I was was doing. Was actually looking to get this, see what I could build with a few more brain cells on hand. Then I saw how small the cities were.

That and my shitty internet make this a bust for me. I might consider getting it once they release the $5-$15 Bigger Cities DLC pack and it goes on sale.

Does anyone else feel like the trailers were misleading? In every one I saw the cities all looked much bigger than they actually are.

12. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because of this new Simcity coming out, I am now playing Micropolis, a free version of the first Simcity. Having a lot of fun.

Never giving EA money again with this DRM bullshit happening, though.

13. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

Word of warning, this is not playable in its current state.

If you're lucky enough to be able to even launch the game, you'll most likely lose your connection to the servers within 20 minutes or so.

Some people have had it stay connected for a few hours at a time, only to lose all of that progress when the game fails to sync to the cloud servers.

What I have played of it I've liked, apart from plot size limitations. I would have really liked to be able to create megalopolises, but at this point I'd settle for connecting to the game for more than an hour.

So yeah, in the end SimCity is a pretty neat game that got totally fucked by DRM. ;/

14. Francis D. Saber

Francis D. Saber Second Year

Been keeping up with this, looks interesting enough. Been watching the ign clips.

But yeah Everyone knew DRM was going to suck. Thanks for the update though

And for the plot size i can see EA doing an expansion to get more of our money.

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Amazon have pulled it from sale. Apparently they've been handing out refunds and its costing them too much money.

17. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I am so, so glad that they're crashing and burning because of their stupid DRM.

18. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

It's the poor bastards who actually bought this game who are getting screwed here. EA aren't crashing and burning at all, they couldn't give less of a fuck. They already have their money, they don't give refunds and most of their target audience either don't know or don't care that always online DRM is such a big fucking deal.

EA are going to sell a ridiculous number of copies, they're going to look at their zero piracy rate and they're going to pull this shit again.

19. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Why is there a zero piracy rate?

20. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

No ones manage to emulate the servers yet. Simcity has no ability to make local saves, and there's probably some other problems as well with cracking. Streamed content, etc., could be an issue.