1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned So Sue Me by Lunakatrina - K+

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Shezza, Jul 16, 2006.

1. KubYnator

KubYnator Second Year

I 've read the introduction, but as I said in my opinion don't fit this chapter with the rest well, as there was not enough plot flow and/or enough sarcastic comments for my liking.

2. lunakatrina

lunakatrina Guest

And we're all entitled to our opinion, I was honestly concerned the chapter would be recieved like that by everyone...but apparently the leader of the cult is too freaky for anyone to notice the major style change. *mumbles* I don't really understand, I like the leader of the cult, the leader of the cult rocks my socks off...literally, I have no socks on.

But, back to the original topic: I am a slave to whatever words my brain decides to make my fingers type...right now, I have no control of this--rather frightening, actually...kidding...but I am a slave to my muse and my muse decided that creating the leader of the cult and making him go off on a vaguely threatening tangent was a good idea...but to finally make the point of this entire meandering rant: I just felt that Harry would react to the leader of the cult by being slightly overwhelmed, and since deep down he really wants to belong he would be somewhat put-off by what the leader of the cult said. But by next chapter Harry should be back up to his usual sarcastic par, worry not. Though he will probably continue to be less boisterous when he's around the leader of the cult...

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

You added more substance to this chapter, and less humor, which is fine I suppose - but I read mostly for the humor.

So I'll say this: I didn't like the chapter, but if it acts like filler and enables you to write and continue this story further, then I'll deal with it.

4. Funniest story I've read to date. I laugh my head off reading this wonderfully brilliant story.

5. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

Not much laughs in this chapter. meh.

mhm,same here.

6. Kalistar

Kalistar First Year

The new chapter seemed a little rehashed to me. I mean we've already read the 'you can't name your owl Voldemrot', maybe not this extensively but still. It was funny briefly, but not enough to devote another half chapter to it. Overall, the story is hilarious though.

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This story has definitely lost its magic. New chapters are getting rather tedious and repetitive. There's still a good joke now and then, but too much forced smart-talk and distracting OOT intermezzos are breaking any good rhythm they manage to create.

The idea of Ravenclaw cult idea has some potential of offering Harry a chance to fight the system, so to speak, without spending all his time in detentions, but that subplot so far seems vastly undeveloped. This last chapter had a chance to move things along in that direction, but instead, we had yet ANOTHER convo about Voldemrot and the whole name changing thing - something that was funny 10 chapters ago, but now seems just... well, stale.

There's still a chance of saving this story, but the author needs either to figure out a whole new (and fresh) direction for the plot to move to, or simply end it now. At this point, I don't think this story could get more then 3/5, 3.5/5 tops, on the merit of older chapters.

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I've been holding my tongue on this fic, hoping that lunakatrina was going to take it somewhere wonderful I simply hadn't imagined. But seeing as IP has stated some of the blunt honest criticism I too have felt, I shall add my two cents.

First off, as everyone should know the beginning of this fic is truly and utterly hilarious. The most obnoxious, loud-mouthed sarcastic child!Harry around. Reminds me of opalish's "Invictus" story in making Harry do everything annoying he possibly can to all the other characters while endearing himself to the reader. I'll heartily recommend anyone to read the first several chapters or so.

My problem with the fic is that after that, it just seems to not interest me. It feels like (I don't know the author's actual opinions, just how it reads to me) lunakatrina came up with this great sarcastic!Harry and tons of humor and parody type scenes and lines. And only once it was popular did she try to add realism to it, or make up some semblance of a plot along the way. Any given scene/chapter may turn out hilarious or unfunny realism depending on her mood when writing it. I don't need to see my Harry secretly wanting friends, or just using his attitude as a way to test people. I don't need to see 'adults' using simple psychology to easily handle Harry in some manner. In a long story, with a solid plot carrying it, fine. In a hilarious humor/parody near-spoof story they are simply off-putting for me.

A sarcastic!Harry like this obviously makes for a great humor story, but it's this plot and other stuff, that not only disinterests me, but also detracts from the characteristics of this Harry that I love. Harry talking crap about the Cult of Ravenclaw is funny. Seeing him silenced by just another "mature" authority figure who knows how to deal with him (in this case the leader of the cult, earlier Rubella, etc...) makes Harry almost a little sad and pathetic.

I know it's something I'm guilty of myself but I think if you ever need to preface a chapter and defend it before receiving feedback, then you've got something wrong with your story construction. And it feels like the last few chapters have begun with words of warning or argument. That and it almost never makes for an interesting story when you're just making it up as you go. You can make great chapters and some great ideas that way, but rarely an interesting overall story. Odds are, eventually you'll paint yourself into a corner that may not be impossible to get out of, but you simply will lose interest in writing it (see Shezza88's many early fics).

I can't see any end to this fic other than eventually lunakatrina abandoning it and I'm not sure many other readers can either. Until that happens, I suspect we'll get some occasionally hysterical chapters that may rekindle interest interspersed with average, rehash type chapters or 'realistic' chapters where enough people question the plot in previous chapters that her muse at the time of writing adds in some events and knocks our Harry down a peg or two.

I'll continue to read it and none of this takes away from the hilarious parts of the fic, but I don't think lunakatrina or anyone else knows where this is going, as evidenced by comments like:
    I don't think I'd knock the overall rating of the fic down to 3/5 just yet as lunakatrina has definitely shown herself capable of humorous and creative ideas and it is still a WIP. But if (or when) it's abandoned I'd probably agree with IP's rating of 3-3.5/5.

Great for a laugh. But primarily for an annoying and childish POV mocking canon names, characters, and events. Not a lot beyond that in this story intrigues me. I haven't wanted to say anything because frequently comments like this can completely kill authors' muses but if I'm way off base on my many assumptions and generalizations then lunakatrina will prove me wrong and knock the rest of this fic out of the park. Here's hoping.

9. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

I am sorry but I doubt any one will ever come up with some thing to beat this. I wonder if he or she? is gunna kill off vold in the first 16 chapters lol.

“Sorry, Professor!” Harry exclaimed as he fumbled for his wand. “This is going to hurt us more than it’s going to hurt you!”

“This is true, considering we’re not going to be learning crap about defense, and we’ll be expelled — if we don’t go to jail!” Hermione muttered, but Harry couldn’t help but notice she wasn’t actively protesting.

“On the bright side, at least we’re only first years so we won’t be too far behind when we go back to Muggle school,” Harry said as he pointed his wand at Squirrel, who was an interesting shade of grey, and yelled, “Wingardium Leviosa!”

Squirrel flew straight up and then was jerked toward the troll as Harry whipped his wand around.

The troll was knocked back a little, but took its anger out on Squirrel.

Harry, Boot, and Hermione watched in horror… and then began screaming again, running away as best they could considering the floor was slowly becoming slick with blood.

Unfortunately, they ran right into the teachers.

“Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god…” Boot chanted.

“What are you three doing?” Auntie Minerva demanded coldly.

“The troll has Professor Quirrel!” Hermione blurted out, looking more scared of this than she did of the troll.

“It’s horrible!” Harry yelled, horrified at how high pitched his voice was. “You have to go save him!”

“Wait, one minute, how did you three get out of the Great Hall?”

“Left it unlocked,” Harry suggested blearily. “I swear to god, you people are trying to kill us! A troll! A fucking troll in the dungeon! Leaving doors unlocked! And oh my god, it’s killing Professor Squirrel!”

“Professor Squirrel?” one of the professors demanded. “Mr. Jamesonhumperdinkel!”

“You know,” Harry yelled, “for every minute you chide us, Professor Squirrel is losing a body part!”

That seemed to get the message across… well; it might’ve been Professor Squirrel’s scream…

10. Treck

Treck First Year

Roflmao!!!

11. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Ever heard of Nonjon, Rorschach's Blot, Fangalla Marie? God's of comedy in Fanfiction, and have already bested her. Face it; it was funny in the beginning, now I wish she would just fucking end it. She's drawn it out enough, it's no longer as good as it was.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  12. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Says the man quoting Chapter Seventeen.

Have some faith. It was, by your own words 'funny in the beginning,' and it very well could continue to be funny in the end. Speaking from experience on writing humorous fic, a lot of times what seems hilarious to the author just doesn't work and what seems like filler can come off as constantly quotable great humor. Lunakatrina's thoroughly proven she can write classic funny stuff. But admittedly, in terms of focus and direction this reminds me more of meandering plotless hilarity than a well-rounded humor story, something Rorschach's done, Fangalla Marie's most famous fic is, and my first attempt at fanfic was nothing but. And it's not a knock against it either. Humor for the sake of humor can be a fantastic read.

13. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    True, it was funny in the beginning, but now when I read the story, it seems to have lost it's magic. It doesn't make me laugh like it used too, and it seems to just be getting silly. Much like Make a Wish was. In the beginning, absolutely hilarious. But towards the end it was losing something.

She might be able to pull it off, bring something back, but for now, it's starting to go down.

14. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

A concur with DLR, it started strong but the lack of a plot and her need to make this a realistic story backfired on her...

15. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

I dunno tho, does it really even need to have a plot? If I was going by plot only I would have stopped reading it after the 5th chapter. But I found it funny as hell, so I just enjoy it and ignore what it is lacking.

16. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

I cant believe that I havent posted. I loved this story when it came out. While the author is trying to maintain the humour the lack of a distinct destination in the authors mind is making it less funnier then it could have been.

Though the new chapters still manage to produce chuckles from me.

I give a 4/5

17. Kalistar

Kalistar First Year

It needs a plot to keep it going. When I first read it, after a while I just wanted her to take it somewhere. That being said, introspective should I join the Cult of Ravenclaw Harry would not have been my first choice for a direcction.

18. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

She's definitely suffered in the comedy area since she began, but it still has some funny chapters every now and then. I hope she can pull it together - this is a fantastic story.

4/5

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Hahahahaha! Funny ass story. One of the more funnier stories to date!

Richard

20. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Sorry to say, but most of it was not my kind of funny. Most of the beggining had me rofl, but overly annoying sarcasm is just that to me- annoying.