1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Solium Infernum

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Vesvius, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

So when I was bored the other day, I stumbled onto this AAR for Solium Infernum, an Indy Turn Based Strategy game all about ruling hell. After reading it, my first response was "HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS?!" and jumped in.

Three days later, I'm hooked. It's a great concept and great game (not perfect by any means, but great). I thought DLP might enjoy it when they get bored.

The great thing about it is that there doesn't seem to be one foolproof strategy to win. You can raise up a massive army, but your opponents might just steal them away with Deceit Spells. You might have the perfect Place of Power, but your opponent might have just placed an event to make it seems like you're gaining prestige faster then you actually are, which makes you start playing defensively when you need to building up your lead.

The best I've done so far is 2nd against the computer, where my strategy was based around building up the biggest strongest Praetor (Basically, a lackey that can either soup up your units or be used in single combat), hiding him in my vault where they can't steal him, and just goading people into dueling me. I thought I won my last game, but it turns out Lilith had completed her lust objective, and beat me by one point.

Bitch.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just picked up the game so if anyone wants to set up a multiplayer I'd be willing to play.

3. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Wouldn't mind picking it up to play; Is it really play by email?

Edit: Played a few rounds with the AI, brutally crushed it both times. Anyone interested in a multiplayer game? Maybe 4-5 people, and agree on a host?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  4. Vesvius

I'd be up for some multiplayer once I think I have a grasp on the rules.

And yeah, it's play by email with multiplayer. Long games can take months if thats the way the cards fall.

Just finished winning another few rounds after mixing up my archfiend a little. I changed his goal to gluttony to open up a few points, and found that gluttony is a great goal to go with my charisma heavy build. Finishing it let me win one game against two PC opponents that would have been tied otherwise.

Unfortunately, that had me start a game with a small map, Common Places of Power, and five opponents. I crushed four of them, but Lilith managed to snag four PoP and hold them. By the time I noticed the problem, someone had played an Event that stopped all diplomacy long enough to end the game. At least I was second!

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I'll pick up a copy if DLP multi takes off - hit me up on Steam if you're building a game and need to round out the headcount. I've bought the latest game by the same guy, Occult Chronicles, which is basically Lovecraft as a graphical roguelike, and thoroughly recommend it.

6. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Just got it. Seems interesting, I've only had the briefest of a play around so far, probably try to do a map later on tonight. I'd be keen for multiplayer too, the email thing might make time zones less of an issue than they might have been imo.

7. Vesvius

Aright, I feel confident enough to give the multiplayer a shot. Anyone else who wants in, just shoot me a PM. We can agree on a host and get this started!

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm in, of course. This game is very good and very streamlined. Just beware that the manual is a bit vague in places, which is a bad thing because you will need the manual to know what the fuck is going on.

---------- Post automerged 01-07-2013 at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was 30-06-2013 at 09:26 PM ----------

Just set up a social group for this and invited all you guys.

9. Vesvius

Awesome, that'll work best then. I'll set up a topic for a game, we post our emails, and we get this thing started!