1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Son of the Western Sea by Mac Calleach - T - Percy Jackson

Discussion in 'Books' started by Probellum, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Son of the Western Sea has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 104,561
    Updated: 2020-04-27 14:52:26 UTC
    Published: 2014-01-22 04:15:24 UTC
    Previously updated: 9 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

2. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    It looks like we're finally heading into the Gaea arc. I've interested to see how this happens with most of the characters 19-21 instead of 14-16. Not to mention, the author said earlier on that Hazel would still be 13/14 as Nico would rescue her whenever the Doors of Death were left open. I enjoyed the exploration of various myths, but the overarching story is what I was really here for and I can't wait for it to get started.

3. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

I’m glad the note said the story will remain Percy-centric, but I thought Jason was a bit bland in HoO, so not as excited about his introduction to the story. I suppose that maybe Percy is more separate from the heroes in this fic since he isn’t in CA or NY full time (?). Maybe he’ll be doing other things?

In this most recent ch., I liked the use of Alexios V’s hatred of Latins to bring up the Roman/Greek distinction. He was a fun ghost.

I am really impressed by this fic and its use of multiple mythologies. I found it through DLP a month ago and I’m glad to see it updated. I can’t wait for when we’re in the same narrative time though and finally see Percy’s apotheosis.

4. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Im not sure how I feel about this update. It feels a little too much like a filler chapter, which wouldnt be bad if it werent for the fact that this story probably won’t update for another 9 months.

5. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I get the feeling that the author is stuck at home rn, based on the an. Let’s hope that the next chapter comes quicker.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I tend to agree, but it's mostly because it's been nine months. Otherwise the chapter was fine. It feels a bit unfair to expect it to be somehow more special because it's been a while.

7. CrackedMind

It’s not so much that I’m expecting it to be more special, it’s more that I hoped it’d be more... impactful, maybe?

It’s just that nothing really happens in this chapter. We get a short scene of the Irish sea god scheming(?) but it’s over before it really starts. Suggests that there’s going to be some fighting over Percy, but the last few chapters about Percy’s begrudging godhood have already made that clear.

We get a scene at the end with Jason, which was fine.

Maybe it’s just the glacial update speed, but so much seems like it’s on the horizon that’s exciting- a war, godhood, space, etc- and I really hope they eventually get to it.

But you’re right, wanting the story to go a particular way is unfair of me when it’s something I get to read for free and the author doesn’t profit from. It felt like a reasonable complaint to make in a review thread for it, though.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    It's more like I don't believe the pace or impact of the story has to differ based on the time between updates. If you think it's been a while, maybe it's a good time for a re-read.

9. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah I reread this ever time it updates lol. Chapter felt fine in terms of pacing taken as part of the whole.

10. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Son of the Western Sea has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 8
    Words: 117,379
    Updated: 2023-03-21 15:18:44 UTC
    Published: 2014-01-22 04:15:24 UTC
    Previously updated: almost 3 years ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

11. CrackedMind

Fun update, but with the distance in between updates it can be hard for this story to build real momentum.

I’m surprised that Juno/Hera is moving forward with Percy in New Rome, I thought they’d already decided against that.

Excited for more god-shenanigans though. Best parts of this story imo are Percy interacting with other pantheons, so hopefully we see some more soon.

12. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    Yeah, I was a bit disappointed about a couple of the plot choices but the writing and the integration of other myths into the PJO universe are so well done. The A/N seemed to suggest we might not see another update in 2023, so let's all check back in a year I guess.

13. Galen

Galen DA Member

Is it that time of the year again?

The updates may be slow, but I’m very happy to see that the author made it through the COVID years and is still updating. The best PJO fic remains alive!

14. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm curious about what will happen with the blessing of the Styx since he lost it on the original story which was one of my biggest pet peeves about the heroes of Olympus

15. Galen

Galen DA Member

I’m not sure how I feel about the new chapter.

The author sticking so closely to the canonical plot (re: Percy getting dumped in New Rome without memories again) is a marked change from the rest of the fanfic. I’m somewhat disappointed that even with the significant changes, that part stayed the same.
    At least his consent and conditions make for some slight differences. Plus, I’m assuming that all there will be a more significant deviation beyond the plot of the first couple HoO books, given how many of the extended series’ issues and problems Percy dealt with on his journey so far.