1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Speed Run...Like a Boss!

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by enembee, Jul 24, 2010.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is so freaking awesome and the worst of it is I can't quite figure out why.

Long story short: Guy completes Half Life in less than 50 minutes and is a complete fucking G as he does so.

It's interwebz old, I've watched it twice before. If you play a lot of FPS on any console/PC but especially if you're a fan of HL or CS or any of that shizzaz, you'll have to admire this guys sheer awesomeness.

Unexpected Hero Moment #1: Guy, from now on known as hero player leaps on the head of the first enemy in the game, to boost himself through a window cutting out the first 2 minutes or so of the game.

Unexpected Hero Moment #2: Hero player decides the game isn't progressing fast enough and so chucks two lazer trip mines against a hitherto impassable wall and JUMPS RIGHT OVER THE FUCKING TOP OF IT.

Unexpected Hero Moment #3: Hero player is sick of all this waiting around bullshit and so uses a charged gauss gun to shoot himself over a cliff, negating essentially an entire level of the game. Not once, but twice in the space of about 5 minutes.

Unexpected Hero Moment #4: Hero player hates water and so finding himself surrounded by it, blows himself out of it with a grenade, flinging himself 50 feet through the air to a distant walkway. He lands with 1 HP remaining and appears totally nonchalant to this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I... just watched the whole thing.

And it was awesome.

3. enembee

High Score:
    I know, right?!

4. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Ahahaha. You guys realise that's the OLD speedrun right? The new one is just under 30 minutes. New being a few years old. Link.

Check out the HL2 speedrun too, that's amazing. So is the Episode One run, but I have to say that seeing as I was the one who ran it with a couple of friends :p.

5. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Unexpected Hero moment #2: amazing.

Damn you enembee... you just had to post it, right??? Now, where is my HL...

6. enembee

High Score:
    I do know, but I actually prefer the longer one on sheer style. There's more showboating in the shorter one.

7. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Ah right. I prefer the shorter, it was the first I watched, so when I watched the longer one, I was confused at why he was going the long way around some things. I'm friends with the guy who did the longer one, though he's gone off Half Life now, I think he's doing a speedrun for Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight now.

8. enembee

High Score:
    Yeah, my admiration is not for the speed, but for the sheer badassery. If that is even a word. With the shorter one the guy bunnyhops so fast, you lose feeling for what the game should be like, it seems like less of an achievement that way. IDK.

9. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Stacking the alien babies beneath himself to get boosted over a wall is epic.

10. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Just watched it all, man that was awesome.

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lmao, blowing the back of the scientist's head off with a shotgun in a doorway so he doesn't get locked in and can ignore a whole sequence of the game was genius. xD

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Oh my God. That is craftsmanship of the highest level.

13. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Quite a few times as I watch the video I've wondered if it was doctored. A few times (around 11 minutes to name one) he went from 8/0 ammo with the shotgun to 8/36. Is that a normal function of game play? Otherwise this looks RIDICULOUS.

edit:

38:09 made me snort though.
    "Don't enter the beam until I give the OK, understood?"
    Hero Player shakes camera up and down.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  14. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

The movie is made from various cut scenes put together, that's why.
    You didn't think he did it in one go, right?

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I haven't watched this, but yeah, just from reading this thread I'd say that it was strongly implied he did, well, a speed run. Not pasted together the cool stuff and called it one.

Is it really a speed run if you run it 50 times and just take the best bits and paste them all together? Seems like that would take away from the awesomeness.

Though I guess (1) I should watch it to form a better opinion and (2) even if he did paste everything together it's still pretty awesome if it would be possible to speed run it just like he did, if you were on the ball enough. So long as he didn't cheat, that's still epic.

16. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

There are two forms of speedrun people do, a segmented or a single segment. Single segment is playing from start to finish of the game, in one go. Segmented, you can save where you like and load, meaning you can attempt each segment as many times as you want to optimise it. Both are still a speedrun from beginning to end of the game, but segmented runs usually include much harder routes and tricks to shave time off that just aren't possible in a single segment.

The reason the ammo goes from 8/0 to 8/36 is a bug in the demo recording of the Half Life engine.

Heh, if you guys want a speedrun where nothing makes any sense, watch the Portal run, where he uses out of the map glitches to complete it in under 10 minutes.

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This man beat Portal without killing the Weighted Companion Cube.. he is my hero.

18. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Sorry to necro this almost exactly two years in the future, but the Portal speedrun I linked in my last post here is now obsolete. I didn't want to make a new thread for it, and figured that posting here would have people see the other speedruns linked because they all deserve the views.

Portal Done Pro-er completes the game in 8:31.93, and was accomplished by 3 guys, with an extra one doing a non-time related segment right at the end.

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

20. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Speaking of speedruns, a few months ago the crazy people doing Ocarina of Time speedruns found this glitch that lets you use dungeon boss warps to move, well, basically anywhere.

They have since used this discovery to beat the game in twenty minutes. Here's a link to ZFG's 21:45 run