1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Klackerz, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'd be up for Black Cat. While Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy are both quite good in the love interest role, they've had plenty of screentime in the other two movie series.

Just like how the MCU isn't recycling villains the other Spidey movies covered, I'd prefer they not recycle the love interests.

Addendum to villain recycling: We need Venom done properly instead of the mess he was in Spidey 3. Plus that would open the door for Carnage.

I'd say these two changes were kinda required to make a movie that's supposed to be set in 2017.

Flash Thompson as conceived in 1962 cannot plausibly exist in 2017. Hell, the character was a laughably outdated cliche back in the first Raimi film, and that came out fifteen years ago. Shifting him from Stereotypical High School Jock to a more modern-style douchebag isn't an unreasonable change. It keeps the most important element of the character intact (High school bully who messes with Peter).

For the second, do you really expect a teenager in 2017 to use a camera? Cameras have been dying out ever since the iPhone, and by now the entire industry is on life support. Like 60's Jock Flash, it just doesn't work.

Relatedly, Peter almost certainly won't be working for a traditional print newspaper when/if the MCU deals with him having a job. Since, you know, those are dying off too. There's a reason the comics have been trying to figure out what job to give him for years.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Uh. Okay Guys.

Reality check.

We all know that Spiderman's OTP is Deadpool. Even if Spiderman doesn't want to accept it.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fanfiction has decreed it so.

4. Jon

Fuck fanfiction.

There is an entire legit comic about it.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Naturally, but the movie rights thing means the MCU can't use him, so they'll just have to go with one of the runners-up.

6. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I was highly amused, and enjoyed the movie immensely.

Thank goodness for my apparently superhuman ability to just enjoy things at face value.

7. Jon

There's nothing wrong with being easy to entertain. Never let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

8. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

That is like most useful super power IRL.

9. Johnnyseattle

Yeah man, I love it. I constantly marvel at how angry people get at things that are just meant to give you pleasure, and especially movies. Man of Steel? Awesome. BvS? Great! X-Men? Every damned movie, even Wolverine: Origins.

Hell, I have never even hated playing No Man's Sky. Must be some kind of weirdo. :)

10. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Teach me your ways, sir.

11. Johnnyseattle

I think it may just be old age. And the lack of ability to get my blood pressure up about stuff.

I mean, rarely is anything ever going to be as good as (or exactly 100% true to) its source material, so no sense getting all worked up. If it looks like you won't enjoy something, just don't go see it.

But then again, most people just want to be angry about something, and it's a convenient outlet.

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe, to an extent. But they didn't do that. They made him a tiny Indian mathlete. If anything he should be the one getting bullied.

I mean, I wouldn't exactly do a double-take. Peter had one in The Amazing Spider-Man and it didn't seem out of place considering it's one of his hobbies. He didn't even take pictures with his cell phone in this movie either.

I still see the New York Post on the stand at work, and that seems fairly analogous to the Daily Bugle. Give the Bugle a significant online presence (like they did in Ultimate Spider-Man, as I recall) and I don't see how it'd be out of place at all.

EDIT: Apparently there's a deleted message that was here before I woke up.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have lots of friends who are into photography. It's more hipster than nerd culture nowadays, but still very prevalent. A lot of technology and high end media programs are also involved.

I enjoyed the movie. I really did. The few issues I had with it doesn't detract from that.
    I'm excited to see Spidey grow and become who he is meant to be.

Patience :sherlock:

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally got around to seeing this. Loved it. Every second. Even useless Ned. Even emo social outcast MJ.

And to be quite honest, I'm glad they didn't attempt to try to cover the Uncle Ben origin story. It's tired and boring, and just letting the watcher assume it happened sometime before Civil War was enough.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think cutting the Ben scene out gave Keaton way more time to do his thing. Probably my favourite MCU villain to date?

At least most relatable, to me.

As for Michelle, I wish their relationship was more like it is IRL.

They're freaking.Adorable.

I am willing to accept your acrimony if you can't look at Spidey or Rihanna the same way again.

16. syed

syed Supermod

I wonder if we might see Ben in some kind of halucinations or vision. Ben is totally Peter spirit guide.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    syed is moving from stream of consciousness wall of text to spaced out hippie thoughts.

You switch drugs or something dude?